We have gone and down! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
In last few hours we have done the deal with Highbridge Motorhomes. Paid the deposit and on the 11th January 2017will pick up brand spacking new Hymer Tramp 588 CL.

Some help please regarding battery, inverter etc

There is one spare leisure battery it states Boosted 12v 95ah AGM . Which is the best second battery to buy.?

Inverter non fitted which is the best to get?

Safefill light weight plastic gas cylinders anybody know of these. The filling of these seem a little awkward!

Reversing camera, van is prewired which is the best RC to get.?

Colyboy

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I has a waeco 1.8 fitted to my hymer because that is what they would have fitted.
If you're looking for refillable gas bottles go to autogas2000 at Thirsk.
They have everything in stock, including underslung tanks and they can advise you.
Some of the new hymers have room for 2 x 14kg rather than 2 x 11kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Hi Colyboy. Congrats. We hope to be in the same position at the end of next season. We have a Safefill cylinder in the caravan and I'm glad we got it as we exchanged 2 Calorlites (the dealer gave me my deposits back, though I had no paperwork) and paid the difference. I think everyone knows about the subsequent fiasco of Calorlites. I know some Funsters will not entertain Safefill but each to their own. We have not been out of the UK with the van since I bought the Safefill so cannot comment about filling but there are a few topics on here relating to the difficulty of doing so. Please read if you are contemplating foreign travel.
Read the website www safefill.co.uk , lots of good info including how to fill. Keep a pair of gloves handy as the fill tube can get very cold if filling up from empty. No need to return cylinders for exchange with dregs in and you can top up at any time. Find out where your nearest filling station is that will let you fill up or a lpg depot. Names are on the website. Filling is simple.
Given the difference in lpg prices, also depends if you have used 13Kg cylinders, mine is now paid for. As I've said there are past posts to consult on the subject of refillable cylinders. Do your homework. I am a satisfied customer.
Hope this helps. Regards, Mike

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Get an identical battery to the one installed.

You don’t say what you want the inverter to do. If it’s just to charge ‘mains’ devices a 300W pure sine wave should do but you may be able to get 12V DC chargers, which I’d expect to be more efficient.

SafeFill are OK, and I think the lightest, and no fill pipes to buy. You can remove them to fill or fill in situ (after removing the ‘feed’ hose). Make sure the size you choose will fit. The collar is quite bulky.

Is it pre-wired for single or twin lens camera? Weaco are good but so are Pioneer. I’d get whatever matches the screen you intend to view it on. You tend to get what you pay for.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Take a look at these they are very good quality with waterproof connectors I fitted a twin camera with 7" monitor around £200

BROKEN LINK

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Check if the new Hymer has a charging regime for AGM batteries. If not, get the dealer to swap for a gel battery. I had 2 x AGM Banner batteries and they only lasted less than a couple of years (gel setting).

There is a current thread on the Out and About Live forum discussing Safefill gas cylinders.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I like the idea of safefill composite cylinder. Its light, you can see the liquid gas level but I understand there is no remote filler. This will mean some garages refusing to fill, but theres always another garage down the road.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Safefill for me,we had the Red ones when they came out.i think for quite a while now,they do a bigger blue one,but easy to check on their web site.
When we went to a M/ho,it had an underslung tank .,advertised the two S/fill on the CC shop/for sale site at lunch time,tea time had a phone call asking where abouts i was and to hold them,next morning about 10.00hrs,cash was in my hand and they had gone.
As said above,they don't have to be empty to fill,so,if you have two,one may never get used in theory. They are VERY light,jobs a good 'un.
I think they used to deliver,or you could pick them up at one of their outlets,if you are near one,check on that.
Tea Bag

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Out of interest, why are you going down the Safefill route?

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Minxy Girl . After "Googling" lightweight gas bottles they came up. Very light and very light re: £'s

colyboy

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
A great van I imagine! We bought our Rapido from Highbridge - only about 20 miles from home.

Hope it all goes well. At least not too long to wait. (y)

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Minxy Girl . After "Googling" lightweight gas bottles they came up. Very light and very light re: £'s

colyboy
And there is no cost in moving them from MH to MH. Not that you will be doing that for a long long time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

colyboy
But why? Once a refillable bottle is fitted in the locker and assuming you have a proper filler point (either in the locker or in the bodywork) you don't need the bottles to be lightweight as you won't be moving them in/out? A safefill bottle IMV isn't as good as a steel/alloy refillable bottle with the proper filler point and gauge (yes I know they can be temperamental!) and are less likely to have eyebrows raised on a garage forecourt than a 'see through' one. With the filling of refillables not being easy at times at least by having a separate filler inlet, rather than a bottle top one, gives you a fighting chance of being able to do it ...

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Minxy Girl.
Thinking Payload..Who says....Every little helps ?:xThumb:
Tea Bag

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Minxy Girl.
Thinking Payload..Who says....Every little helps ?:xThumb:
Tea Bag
If payload is so tight that someone needs to save that small amount of kg IMV they need to re-think what they're carrying!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Conversely, you may well squander your payload if you don't minimise the weight of the equipment you fit.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Congratulations on the new van, we met you at the chelston show earlier this year and have since taken delivery of new van from West Country motorhomes

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
If payload is so tight that someone needs to save that small amount of kg IMV they need to re-think what they're carrying!
People have different situations and priorities, you can't judge every one by yours. I have a pvc with small provision for gas tanks. I may take the underslung tanks route eventually, but right now both on the cost front, weight and available space the Safefill works fine for me. And I didn't know they were difficult to fill, seems easy to me. I'm very pleased with them.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Best inverter charger is by Victron - Waeco Dometic are simply not reliable.

With regards to batteries, I understand that @Lenny HB who also has a Hymer on order is planning to remove the factory fitted AGM batteries and replace with Gel as the AGM's ars prone to failure.

Good luck with your new van !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
People have different situations and priorities, you can't judge every one by yours. I have a pvc with small provision for gas tanks. I may take the underslung tanks route eventually, but right now both on the cost front, weight and available space the Safefill works fine for me. And I didn't know they were difficult to fill, seems easy to me. I'm very pleased with them.
... it's called my view ... not my 'judging' others ...

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Part of the deal when we traded in our old MH for a new one was to have the 13kg Gaslow and its 6Kg Calor backup (plus stainless steel piping) transferred to the new one at no extra charge. They've also said they'll fit a second battery for free as long as we pay for the additional battery. They'll fit any sat receiver we care to provide, again free of charge. No harm in haggling if you've got additional kit requirements.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back