We Bought A Stolen Motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Smith and Sharp, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Well after having our new to us motorhome for a month, the police have taken it away..! We had to get disabled controls on it (£2000) before it could be driven and then went to the Norfolk broads.
    The following Monday from the weekend we got back we had the knock on the door... The bloke that sold it to us was the culprit... He has a small company selling caravans but the police told us that he had a side line of selling dodgy motorhomes ...

Now the thing is that the policeman dealing with the case at first told us that we stand a good chance of getting the van back or the money as he is being taken to court and he has lots of money that the police have seized.... Now after another conversation the officer has said that the original insurer is taking the van back (what I suspected would happen) and that the culprit has now no assets and no money ??

This officer is now saying that the insurer would probably let us have the van back for a couple of grand as we had adaptions fitted..??
    It just seems that he is trying to placate us for some reason.? The insurer paid out 22k..!
    I was not under the illusion on getting anything back from this robbing ****** and knew that all was gone but this copper is not helping.
    Sorry to go on but this motorhome was going to be our life..! And took everything ... Any thoughts as to what this officer is about..? Is he concerned we get legal advice about "good title" or taking the robbing git to court to get something back and messing up the coppers case..???

Regards...

2. The Dude

The Dude Funster

I can't answer your question but I feel so very, very sorry for you. What a totally dreadful thing to happen. I sincerely hope you manage to get something sorted out of this mess. :(

• Like Like x 4
  3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, shows how important it is to do a careful checks when buying S/H.

Did you buy from his company or as a private sale, as different rules apply. Privately you loose the van , but I thought if from a trader they couldn't take the van back.
    You really need to get some legal advice if you don't want to throw more money away start with Citizens Advice Bureau.

• Like Like x 2
  4. FJmike

FJmike Funster

My sympathies go out to you it must be heart breaking. I was always under the impression that if you had bought something and had a proper receipt then the powers that be could not take it from you. I may be mistaken on this but I think it well worth getting proper legal advice. In my experience coppers will tell you anything that will benefit them with little or no thought to how it affects others.

• Like Like x 2
  5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

What a bloody awful situation. I'd personally go straight for legal advice - it's got to be worth the initial consultation fee compared to what you stand to lose.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Thats awful!:(

• Like Like x 1
  7. lorger

lorger Funster

Sorry to hear about the MH, did you pay cash or use credit card even as part payment or even a loan of so they may help you recover losses.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

So sorry
    That's terrible you need to get some professional advice asap.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Paid transfer into his own account.....
    Done hpi check all ok done gov. Mot status and checked the motorhome really well..... Cops say he was good... He changed plates, all vins no's and re- vin all windows and goods in side..
    They only found out as they were looking at a stolen car and happened to come across a shelled Peugeot boxer with our plates...! Cops said we could have been driving it for many years if not for ever if they had not found the other donor van..! Just my luck :(

10. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

In case others may have bought from him is it worth naming names ?
    Also have you legal cover on your insurance ?
    Best of luck for what it's worth

• Like Like x 3
  11. SOS

SOS Funster

I really sympathise. We had a similar experience years ago when we bought a car. All thoroughly checked and the guy that sold it to us had ID that stacked up with the log book etc etc. well the reason he had the same name was that he had the same name as his Dad! He had fraudently sold it to us while his Dad was on holiday. We were told that if we continued to drive it that our insurance was invalid. We took advice and were told that if we had put anything on the car then we could take it off. As tempting as it was to take all the tyres off we didn't bother but did get reimbursed from the insurance company for seat belts and a water pump! This was however many years ago and things may have changed. No consolation at all to you I know and I feel fury on your behalf! Hope you get something back and hope he rots in hell!

• Like Like x 1
  12. beacons

beacons Funster

Sorry to hear of your troubles can't add anything as others have already posted
    good advice just wanted to say what a rotten thing to happen best wishes and
    hope you get sorted out soon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Wino

The Wino Funster

If you paid for an hpi check it might cover the loss worth asking

• Like Like x 6
  14. trophychap

trophychap Funster

I was under the impression from watching HPI's TV adverts that if they got it wrong you were able to claim back your losses from them.

Have you contacted them? it may be worth while!

Edit to say almost a duplicate of above post.

• Like Like x 3
  15. iandsm

iandsm Funster

If the police are still in possession of the stolen motorhome and there is a dispute as to who they should return it to after the scoundrel is dealt with there could be a hearing under the police property act where a court will decide who it should go to.That is because you bought it for value in good faith and have legal title to it, BUT the original owner, if he was paid by his insurers passes title to them. In effect, one piece of property had two people with lawful title its a matter of who's is the strongest. If the person who sold the stolen item to you has no assets you won't be getting compensation from him.

Better, if you can to make an arrangement with the original insurer to whom I suspect it will be returned as they have paid out the person it was stolen from. They don't want to spend more money taking out the conversion you put in and would only get basic value from a dealer should they try to sell it to a dealer, better they sell it to you and you might be surprised at what they would accept.

I would take advice from a qualified solicitor and not mess around with CAB. No criticism if them but this is job for professionals.

A horrible situation and I really do wish you the best of luck and hope its resolved in an acceptable manner.

• Like Like x 5
  16. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

so sorry to hear about your misfortune , I have no idea how you stand legally , I hope that you get something back

• Like Like x 1
  17. andy63

andy63 Funster

That is heartbreaking for you...and don't know how you will be able to recover your loss..
    I know of a vehicle which was owned for 6 months and then discovered to be a ringer... All sensible checks were done including an HPI check...before a private purchase.
    If you go to the police you loose the vehicle...If you sell it on you saddle someone else and if you confront the seller he just denies knowing and you then leave yourself open as been aware of the situation. ..
    The owner decided to keep it and keep quiet...fortunately he had the vehicle 16 more years but the first few were stressful. ..
    It's an impossible situation in some cases. .
    Hope you can recover your money...
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

As advised get proper legal advice. As a general rule if you buy something stolen then you won't be able to keep it and it will be returned to the owner, which might be an insurance company.

However, there have been cases where the person buying the vehicle was allowed to keep it and this was because they had taken all the right measures to ensure the item was not stolen, but these cases are not common and the default position is you lose it. Hence, you need to act quickly and see a solicitor, it will at least ensure you get the right advice.

I would politely ignore the policeman, I fear it is now a civil matter.

• Like Like x 6
  19. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

+1.. Best advice

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

What a bloody mess. My heart goes out to you, you must be absolutely gutted. I really hope this gets sorted out. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1