We are going to chance not fixing it spend £'s travelling instead (1 Viewer)

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Yes, David, you're quite right.

The display does change, but what surprised me was just how slight a touch is required to move from automatic to manual. It was also a surprise to the Iceland drivers!

Hopefully my post will be of interest or use to others and I hope you get your problem sorted soon.

Stef.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The battery is there so you can record data and transfer it to your PC. It's also the source of power for when you want to do software updates to the tool itself if applicable.
You can do all the functions and turn lights off etc when it's plugged into the OBD port as the tool will take its power from that source.

Best way to do the read is to plug into the port then start the engine. Some info will be detected with ignition on but to get everything start the engine..

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
@StefAndDi

Oh how I wish it were so simple, with our previous MH also a Sprinter based unit that also had a couple of limp moments, on that older model the transmission display changed from D to 3, but that had the original Sprintshift gearbox

My gearbox does have that function, but I am definitely not moving it unintentionally, in the first few instances of the issue, I did then try to manually select a lower gear, which you can do, but with the reduced revs and power it makes no difference

When it goes into limp mode there is no change to the display, which you get if the manual option is selected intentionally or even I guess if some electrical gremlin was doing it somehow for you

I have renewed hope that there might just have been a software fix since built, that with it not having an official Mercedes service might have been missed, it might be me being overly hopeful, but its the simplest and most £ efficient option I have at the moment (y)
It's very unlikely a software update will cure it. It was running fine then developed a fault. The lack of an update is extremely unlikely to have cause a fault to develop. There is an extremely slim chance cos with modern vehicles and the hyper complex electronics you can't rule anything out.

I sincerely hope it does the trick but don't place to much hope on it !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning David I think your only hope is that the Main dealer has more info on there computer than your man has got --There is a good chance others will have had same issues and they will be able to pin point the gremlin straight away (y)-Hope so it's been going on too long now and taking the enjoyment of owning your van away :(:)
terry

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I didn't explain my point very well above ..

The only way that missing an update would cause issues is for example the update contained a fueling change again for example to lean the fuel off do the engine might not run to rich. Then the rich running over a period of time might result in say a blocked or partially blocked injector . Updating now might prevent it happening again but might not cure the now present problem .

I have to stress it's just an example of what is possible to happen.

I tend to use a competent garage for servicing but they won't have the updates to put onto our vehicles ECUs..

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Right, just setting of for Mertrux, I still have what might be an unrealistic optimism that things are going to get sorted, today or this week at least, maybe the coincidence of having the service done on @Debs birthday is going to bring us some luck (y)

Compared to some of the woes on here recently I feel relatively blessed with my intermittent issues :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just read through all of this, hope it gets sorted for you today. France is a bit warmer than UK at the moment......

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Brief update, service done, identified errors, still investigating cause

Hope to be done for tomorrow, jut realised I have left fridge on auto, so will be using up gas, might make them jump when burner cuts in :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Can we play guess the bill?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If only I were rich enough David to have an account. I did consider taking out a service contract with them once upon a time, but it was tailored for high mileage business users so I declined. However their account manager spent a good couple of hours drinking tea chez nous and talking motor homing - he had a motorhome himself.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If only I were rich enough David to have an account. I did consider taking out a service contract with them once upon a time, but it was tailored for high mileage business users so I declined. However their account manager spent a good couple of hours drinking tea and talking motor homing - he had a motorhome himself.

They are a nice friendly bunch, maybe they are the softener for the bill :) but it will be what it will be, just hope they find and fix something (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Can we play guess the bill?

I have a head start, as the service bit has been prequoted, so you need to start at £400, possibly plus VAT, (forgot to ask :unsure:)so anybody going south of £500 will already probably have lost, that's before they think of changing anything ;) if I get away with another £1200 + VAT (and it is fixed) I will be happy, might take a while for it to show on my face though :D:D

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
My guess is £1800 - still good value if you're back on the road with no fear of breakdown

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Looks like the thread title may be completely wrong, we are now in danger of a U turn

Latest from garage, they 'think' the intermittent fault is a sticking turbo exhaust valve, think I can understand as it is intermittent, so they now say parts £1200 fitting possibly the same again, but with same comment (and same diagnosis of my independent) they have no idea how they are going to get to it to fit it

I asked what if they do all that and it still has same fault, they would refund all my money, so they must feel confident at least

So, back to first thought, drive it till it sticks properly, or get it changed and never have another problem :p

Another £2500 + VAT is a lot of money, but we are not using the MH due to fear of breakdown in bad place, I will sleep on it again I guess, the garage are still not committing to that option, they are a little like my independent don't really know how they will get at the turbo and quite probably don't really want to do the job

Reactions: DBK

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
its 2500 against lots of ££££££££££££££££££££££££££, if it buggers the engine,

as its in a commercial garage, i would have thought they would drop the whole front end out to work on it, probably easiest solution,

under the circumstances i would not drive it like that, it would end in tears or worse,

alan,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

as its in a commercial garage, i would have thought they would drop the whole front end out to work on it, probably easiest solution,

under the circumstances i would not drive it like that, it would end in tears or worse,

alan,
How much is a new engine?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
David - I think this is one of life's bitter little pills that needs to be swallowed.

If you leave it and you break down elsewhere, is another garage going to charge you less, or offer the same guarantee ?

Bite the bullet and go for it !

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David,At least they are willing to refund your money if not cured so that's a bit of a result (y)OR TRADE IT IN,SAY NOWT :DNot an option for you so send Bev ;)
terry

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
recon sprinter is £6700 + vat bare engine, so still have to get a turbo,

new is 13000 ouch,

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

alan,

I get your point Alan, but in reality can a stuck valve actually do the engine any real harm

As a totally non techy person my logic says drive it, it might never stick again or will stick for ever, then we know for sure the £2500 is the only option o_O

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OK get the drift, I will get it done, with a money back guarantee it seems like a fair offer

Now got to convince them to do it though, they really don't seem keen, access is a serious issue, not sure what options there are to drop the engine out, not even sure if you can drop an engine, not really sure what I am even talking about, but does it sound good :)

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
if its sticking on the input side to engine and a piece breaks off it can only go one way, turbos spin at incredible speeds 100000 rpm is not uncommon,

I'm sorry David its probably not what you want to read, but i've opened up some messy engines and they ar'nt pretty,

I would not drive it like that on any lengthy journey

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
its easy but time consuming, undu front axle and propshaft all cables pipes etc lift body and roll out(y)(y)

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
yes but very carefully, its the way i used to do horseboxes,

as long as the main chassis is supported it will be fine,

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
recon sprinter is £6700 + vat bare engine, so still have to get a turbo,

new is 13000 ouch,

Aah the good old days. Brand new Daimler V12 crate engine with all anciliaries, new radiator & auto gearbox overhaul,£2500 total. :LOL: Brothers car shipped back from Germany where the garage had got it wrong.:cry:

OK get the drift, I will get it done, with a money back guarantee it seems like a fair offer

Now got to convince them to do it though, they really don't seem keen, access is a serious issue, not sure what options there are to drop the engine out, not even sure if you can drop an engine, not really sure what I am even talking about, but does it sound good :)

Why not ask the motorhome manuf. have they any suggestions ? Not likely I know but worth the ask.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back