we are defecting

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pamella, Aug 9, 2014.

1. pamella

pamella Read Only Funster

after a year of motorhoming we have decided we are off to statics im afraid.
    we have outgrown our lovely hymer and feel a statics the way forward so going to give it a try.
    we have advertised it on classified her and ebay for ten days.we got a bid so we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Enjoy whatever makes you happy but please, please, please check out the pros and cons of static ownership before taking the plunge, especially the costs/commission which you have to pay when you sell it in the future ... I know of a few people who have come a cropper as they didn't know about this and some of the fees can be expensive - as much as 15% of the sale price I believe!

3. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

I too know of quite a few people who after a few years have been "kicked out" of their static because they havent been able to afford to upgrade to newer models, one friend's site changed hands and the new owners evicted everyone and a few where the site fees and charges started low but then became ridiculously high.

We wish you all the best with your static and hope you are very happy and that you dont experience the bad things that others have.

• Like Like x 2
  4. chaser

chaser Funster

As the others have said, please look in to it in very great detail, I have been there and nothing in this world would get me to do it again, apart from the cost which is collosol think about not only rent but the other things they hit you with rates ,water, insurance. Got to move after so long at their terms, and do you really want to go to the same old place every time, looking at the same old vans with the same old people, believe me we have done it , it can take over your life, repairs , new curtains and all the other old stuff and if you are thinking of renting it out think again, they only want to rent when you want it and then don't want to pay you, ours ended up costing about £50 every week of the year, not just the weeks we were there.
    Sell your mh by all means but have a b.....!good think before you get into a static

• Like Like x 2
  5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

You may as well donate the Hymer for free to a Funster of your choosing.
    That's how much cash you will be ripped off for during the course of normal static caravan ownership.

Plus just giving your money away will save the raised blood pressure and frustration caused by every demand for commission/ site fees/ compulsory upgrade, etc.that the site operator enforces on you!

Good luck, but I think you will regret it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. chaser

chaser Funster

Absolutely it's a minefield, we bought ours the first year ok then it started costing as much as buying it again every year, terrible experience ended up near enough giveing it them back just to get out of it, couldn't sell it on or keep it because they said it was old and it was immaculate don't don't don't do it

• Like Like x 1
  7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

We are extremely curious about this; my brother has a static but doesn't say much about costs......

So, compulsory upgrades - does every site do this or just some? What happens to all the slightly older units?

Are site fees linked to say inflation or can the owners simply dictate terms?

Does every site owner routinely charge commission on you selling your own unit, no matter how this is done? Or is this just a bit of occasional sharp practise?

Thanks - interesting subject...... Every reply above is extremely negative but there are static parks all over the place, so there must be some upsides somewhere

• Like Like x 1
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

Without the cost of buying, it is going to cost at least 3 grand a year, you can have some good holidays on that

• Like Like x 1
  9. B-well

B-well Funster

Good luck in your new venture, No shame in coming back home.(y) If you do not try you will not know.

• Like Like x 1
  10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I miss read your thread title and thought it was going to be another cassette emptying story, but then realised there was no "a" in defecting.:doh:

Anyway I do wonder if after only one year you are being a little hasty but wish you all the happiness with your static if you go ahead.

If you are serious about selling the Hymer it may be worth putting a link to the ebay page on here.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  11. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

A friend of ours rented his out for most of the year just to make ownership affordable. There was no profit once cleaning and gas bills were levied.
    The site owner decreed the caravan was now officially too old to rent out just 18 months after our friend bought it.
    Ownership became unaffordable and the the site operator bought it back at huge loss to our friend.
    Guess what? They sold the caravan to some other mug!!!

The cycle continues.......,

• Like Like x 3
  12. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Best of luck, Motorhoming is not for everyone. However, be aware that you have no control over 'site fees' for static homes and expect to pay several thousand pounds a year depending on location.

• Like Like x 1
  13. chaser

chaser Funster

Compulsory upgrades , no probably not all sites, older units are exported or sold to farms and things to house workers or more grotty campsites.
    Site fees are what they can screw out of you and related to nothing
    As far as I know they all make you deal through them and you can't really do anything about it because other sites won't let you put them on their site if the van is so old so you are just between a rock and a hard place.
    They just rely on turnover of vans when we had ours we saw loads of vans that had different owners every year, just try it once and then off.

• Like Like x 3
  14. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Read Only Funster

please look into it carefully, we have come from a static to a motorhome, in 8 years our site fees went from £2500 to £6000 and when it came to selling we coudnt sell to any body but the site a complete rip off and that was park resorts one of the biggest, with a motorhome if you don't like the site just move on

• Like Like x 2
  15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Thanks for the response. I just wonder why so many people do it, as all of the above appears to be standard practise within the industry.

• Like Like x 1
  16. chaser

chaser Funster

Glad we got out when we did then ours was £3000 when we finished and the van only cost us £4000 when we had it and ended up selling/ giving it to them for a grand after four years

• Like Like x 1
  17. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Read Only Funster

if you sell to a third party they put the new owners site fees up so all new owners only buy from the site, we got £16000 back for our static and they then sold it for £40000 we have a lot of friends who have had to just walk away and get nothing

• Like Like x 1
  18. chaser

chaser Funster

You just get carried away by a nice holiday with the kids at haven or somewhere and get took in by the leaflets and spiel, then don't realise the kids get older and you don't want to be in the same place every year but you are stuck with it and can't say so if you are trying to get rid

• Like Like x 1
  19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Well we'll easily be able to spot you at the next meet. We'll have to park you with the RVs. I guess you'll be needing hook up.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I purchased a Static many years ago and then craned it off site onto a low loader and put it on a building plot to live in whilst I built our second house. It turned out that it was up for sale because the site owner could get many times more for the pitch if it had a new home on it so I nicked it for £1800.

Sold it two years later for £2450 to someone who wanted to self build as I had done. They don't seem to have much value if they're not on a pitch and then I bet it varies dependent on where the pitch is!

• Like Like x 1