We are coming home and intend to roam. Some advice, please. (1 Viewer)

Patthelad

Free Member
Sep 3, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy.
Exp
A lot many years ago, back for more.
Hi all

My wife, Ros and I live in Sydney, Australia.
I travelled in a campervan extensively in Europe, the Middle East and Australia 30 years ago. I am originally from Romford, Essex. Ros is an Aussie.
I am about to retire and the UK and Europe beckons, and being technically newbees we would appreciate any advice.

We are looking at MHs over the net, so would appreciate any advice regarding buying from Australia and storage. Is this a viable option? Has anyone done this, what should we be aware of when purchasing from overseas?

Thanks for any help, this is a great forum and Ros and I look forward to seeing you on the road in 2013!

Kind regards

Frank

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
G'day Frank :welcome:

As it's 4 in the morning there are not many online, only us nightshift workers.::bigsmile:
I,m sure as the day wears on there will be lots of advice.

I was thinking that if you were to look at reputable dealers you could do a deal with them regarding buying a motorhome maybe with a buy back once you are done with it and heading home.

Johns cross who are regularly on here seem to have a good rep although i havn't had any dealings with them personally.

Hope you get what you want and enjoy your trip over here when it happens.

OP
OP
P

Patthelad

Free Member
Sep 3, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy.
Exp
First contact.

Hi Paul
Thanks for your message, you are our first contact and appreciate that. We thought it would take a few more hours to get responses.
We will look at dealers as well as private sales. A buy back scheme could be an option, although we are looking at keeping it a couple of years and storing it between visits as there are so many places we want to see.
Kind regards
Frank

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
hi

hi. i had some Aus friends buy a caravan and tow in UK. tour Europe for ayear then sold
at a loss counting that as part of the holiday cost.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Frank

Before you plunge into buying ..

do you have friends or relatives in the UK that would be willing to let you use their address for official paperwork ?

You will need this for registering the van and insurance...

As you will be 'living' in the van you will also have to insure as such .. the only insurer I know who does 'full time' insurance is Comfort Insurance.. this is quite expensive .. around £1200 per year.. they do quotes on a case by case basis ..

You may also have difficulty insuring with an Ausie driving licence ...

Storage is not a big problem .. plenty of secure facilities , expect to pay around £10 per week..

Also do a search on here, this question has come up several times...

OP
OP
P

Patthelad

Free Member
Sep 3, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy.
Exp
Thanks for the messages

Hi Jim

Thanks for your information.

We do have relatives there. We have heard of that insurance company and will be in touch and see what they have to say.

Thanks again, any tips or info are very much appreciated.

Frank

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back