waxoyl

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by calion, Oct 14, 2014.

1. calion

calion

Hi can anyone tell me if waxoyl is supposed to kill rust or prevent it? Just had our van MOT'd and we were advised to apply it next time there is a dry day. Thanks

2. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Its supposed to kill rust and prevent new rust.
    I tried it years ago, covered everything I could see and not see in an old car, but the rust still got through.
    My advice would be to try and remove and treat any rust you can see, then apply the waxoyl
    Allan

• Like Like x 2
  3. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

my son is half way doing ours. giving it a good scrub down with a wire brush and then waxoyl it. so good luck doing yours.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you do have to try your best to get both sides of the metal work .
    it does help but it isnt miracle juice.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Timely post as I was about to ask if Funsters would recommend under sealing their vans. Mine is now a year old Autocruise PVC on a Peugeot chassis and I intend to keep for many years having now find the ideal layout for me (7 prev vans!). Can anyone recommend a reliable trustworthy company to undertake this - preferably in the north west.
    Thanks, Carol

• Like Like x 1
  6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Did mine with Waxoyl back in the summer. This had been advised by Peter Hambilton and by the local HGV workshop that does my servicing.
    The whole job took me a few days. I removed the front bumper/valance (it's an A-class and I wanted access to the engine mounting area and front chassis) wire brushed the chassis, painted a few spots with Hammerite (makers of Waxoyl) then donned an anti-high volatile face mask, very old clothes, and got under with the Waxoyl. The system comprises a pressure tin (bought full then refilled), a pump with spray lance, thin tube adapter to get inside the box sections and larger tins of the Waxoyl to replenish the pressure tin. I used two large tins in addition to the pressure tin - all from Halfords. It is available in clear and black finishes. I used black so that I could see what I had completed and because I think it is claimed to last longer.
    A filthy job - expect to throw away any clothes you wear - and do use the face mask.
    Once the Waxoyl had set, I got a large tin of Hammerite underbody seal and painted any sections of the wooden floor pan that looked a bit bare. The total cost was about £120 in materials.

p.s. it helps a lot to warm the Waxoyl by standing the tin in hot water and to thin it a bit with white spirit. That makes it easier to spray and helps prevent the lance blocking - at the expense of a greater tendency to drip!

Here are the various parts:
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-paint-supplies/waxoyl-high-pressure-sprayer
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-paint-supplies/waxoyl-extension-probe
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...ment/hammerite-waxoyl-rustproofing-black-2-5l
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...moval-treatment/waxoyl-rust-proofing-black-5l
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...moval-treatment/hammerite-underbody-seal-2-5l

• Like Like x 1
  7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Has anyone else who has Waxoyled their coach built noticed how much quieter it is on the road afterwards?

A good application seems to really kill road and tyre noise!

• Like Like x 1
  8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Not one of the benefits I noticed I have to admit, but then I wasn't undersealing any metal body panels.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cal54

Sounds like it is well worth doing but not something I would tackle myself. Just need to find a reputable company to undertake the work. I'm hoping someone can recommend from personal experience.

• Like Like x 1
  10. calion

calion

Thanks for the tips everybody (y) :(we were told to do the leaf springs and strutts and the front and rear chassis cross members. The van is 19 years old, so has done well to last this long, had to have a small section of sill welded and brake pipes replaced. This is the first time its ever been welded, in fact the first time its ever failed its MOT in the 7 years we've had it. Its passed now, phew

11. Portland

Portland Funster

There is an advert in the MMM magazine for a firm who seem very good. Do not use the van for about 2 weeks after its done because of the fumes

• Like Like x 1
  12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Here is a waxoyl treatment business with depots in Hatfield and Knutsford.
    http://www.waxoylprofessional.com/Motorhome.html
    Prices range from £360-£600 + VAT depending on size, complexity and condition.

I know nothing about this, or any other waxoyling business - they look pretty good, but be careful before booking anywhere as there have been stories on forums in the past regarding sub-standard work by some businesses. You need to ensure they are going to prepare the underside properly and inject waxoyl into the hollow sections / box girders as well as on the obvious surfaces.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MikeD

MikeD Funster

• Like Like x 1
  14. Viennese

Viennese Funster

A friend used this company in Leamington Spa
    http://www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk/
    to do his PVC last year and was pretty pleased with the result. They have branches around the UK. It cost him £440. He also had the Supagard paint treatment there - another £250.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cal54

Thanks for all the info. I have been web searching and there are mixed reviews, primarily around the quality of preparation and also wether waxoyl is the best product. More research required I think before I finally commit.

16. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

I restore classic cars, and will not entertain waxoyl, I use Stonechip applied heavily on painted surfaces,and inside chassis sections, any rust is treated with phosphoric acid 20% solution, you can use jenolite follow instructions, then cover with a zinc based primer, on suspension clean derust paint with chassis black then wipe with an oily rag, this can be repeated once a year or more if used through winter months but wash the salt of well,

1 reason for not using waxoyl, it will run off in warm(21+) temperature, 2, it stinks for months,

each to there own,

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I let Waxoyl down with white spirit, then it runs very well through a spray gun. The spirit allows a damp area that the wax can 'grip', before it dries away, and the waxoyl gets to work by itself.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. mta

mta Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1