Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi there,
I am well used to waxoiling my classic cars, however, I am getting differing opinions as the the waxoiling of my Motorhome.
Just a few months old, (the van that is, I'm fifty in a few weeks!) I am keen to waxoil the chassis. Waxoil or equivilant does help stop the rot setting in. As I use the Motorhome for day trips even over winter, the waxoil does help protect against the effects of the salt.
Some say (sounding like J. Clarkson introducing the Stig)that I shouldn't get waxoil on the wooden floor, opinions please?
Regards to all you seasoned Motorhomers, WeeJohn:RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi WeeJohn

I think this answers your question

For a motorcaravan, though, twenty years is probably nearer the average lifespan, so it makes sense to rustproof a motorhome when new. In addition, rustproofing can more than pay for itself when it comes to selling your motorhome. According to Phillip Lewis of Rustbusters, "Most of my customers swear by rustproofing because, when the time comes to change, they always sell their vehicles quickly, and for top money!"

With coachbuilt motorhomes there's an additional reason for rustproofing the underside, and that's due to the extra protection that rustproofing products will give to the laminated plywood floor. The outer plywood layer is often only protected by a thin film of paint or bitumen, so a thick layer of flexible, water resistant rustproofer is useful extra protection.

Link Removed

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Thanks, I know that it is a great idea, but was getting various opinions on waxoiling the underside of the floor, this advice sounds good and is in keeping with what I was intending to do. But there's always someone who doesn't really know anything that tries to cast doubls and spoil the fun..
Regards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowythejock

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 month!
Hi there,
I am well used to waxoiling my classic cars, however, I am getting differing opinions as the the waxoiling of my Motorhome.
Just a few months old, (the van that is, I'm fifty in a few weeks!) I am keen to waxoil the chassis. Waxoil or equivilant does help stop the rot setting in. As I use the Motorhome for day trips even over winter, the waxoil does help protect against the effects of the salt.
Some say (sounding like J. Clarkson introducing the Stig)that I shouldn't get waxoil on the wooden floor, opinions please?

WeeJohn

Did you have it done? If so did you use Rustbusters and the big question - cost? Looked on their website and cannot see any indicative costs but £600 on Rustmaster + VAT, before trying to negotiate!

Any comments much appreciated.

Snowy the Jock

PS Happy Hogmanay

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Go for it ....

It's bitumen/oil based.It hasn't affected woodwork on mine.

As far as I'm concerned I have always waxoyled my vehicles and haven't seen a problem yet as long as you mask off all Braking surfaces and keep spray well away from the alternator/power steering belts and pulleys.

Protect your investment.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Go for it. For years I have waxoilied the undersides of Caravans and motorhomes both with wooden floors and never had any problems.

The oldest one that I know about is 18 years old and was still going strong last time I saw it, so guess it did it no harm.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi there,

I don,t know for sure but is there a danger of stopping the wooden floor from breathing (drying) if its sealed? it is possible to get water spilt on the inside as well as from the bottom.

Doug...

Last edited:

trinity

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Funster No
Hi, I bought my Autotrail Pullman in 1991, I waxoiled it within 2 weeks & do it every 2 years. So the old girl is 19 years old this year, it has no rust & also after waxoiling the road noise is always reduced. My floors are still good as is the Alko chassis and underneath the cab.
I would swear by it,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back