waxing a motorhome ,which wax?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CHRI$, Feb 13, 2016.

1. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

2. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

(y)(y)

4. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I use Colinite 476. ... first wax of the year due this week if we get a warmish dry day

• Like Like x 2
  5. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

thing is rob thats a wash and wax product,what im looking for is a good wax to seal the paint as i need to polish out some oxidization
    of the paintwork,hence the machine,then seal it by hand or with the machine with wax.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Big bus man

Big bus man

I bought that very same polisher last year being I wanted to bring back some shine and even after reading different threads I ended up using fast strokes at high RPM with the flat foam pad, wetting the surface helped with cutting in difficult areas.
    I ended up using normal Autogleam which gave me the results I wanted for now and can work harder on other areas when my confidence builds using the rotary power. You will need to tape up protruding areas especially rubbers using low tack tape as it burns very quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

• Like Like x 2
  8. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Chris I just pinged a message to my cousin so bare with me and a reply from him should come soon :)

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  9. Imbiber

Imbiber Funster Life Member

Autosmart Wax.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

11. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

• Like Like x 1
  12. etap

etap

"Mer" used it on the boat now on the motorhome easy to put on and polish off, and gives a good smooth shine.

13. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

Feraclo gel coat restorer and feraclo wax. Excellent product and silicone free. www feraclo.com.

Spongy

• Like Like x 2
  14. Diesel

Diesel Read Only Funster

Have you got you polish sorted ? Just a word of caution the machine is a rotary which will be great on grp sections ..but be VERY careful if you plan too use on sides of motorhome they will have pretty thin paint a dual action polisher will be better suited than a rotary ....for guidance in using a polisher junkman2000 on you tube had some very detailed videos .. 5part IIRC

• Like Like x 2
  15. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

wont be using on motorhome sides as they are ok,it just the bonnet and wings of the base that are slightly oxidized,will look at the youtube vids tommorow,cheers for that(y)

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Mer is an old fashioned POLISH it is NOT a Wax . Therefore it will offer NO protection which is why a wax is applied. In fact it will work to the contrary as it will remove any wax on the panels you apply it too.

• Like Like x 3
  17. etap

etap

I am sure you are correct Charlie.
    Have used it on new motorhomes and on all new cars also top sides of yacht for some time and the rain runs off easily and it leaves a smooth finish and looks good, also as said is very easy to apply. The surfaces have always looked clean and colour is preserved. So what does a wax do better ? This is a serious question I am interested in the answer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. iandsm

iandsm Funster

In know its not the answer to the original question but I thought I would mention this product.

Last year after a very thorough clean with Autoglym polish I started using Autoglym Aqua wax. Every time I had to wash off the little and not so little dead buggers that had committed sucicide on the front of the cab area I found it very easy to get them off with just a microfibre cloth and arm water. I followed this with the Aqua wax, its very easy and fast to apply and it leaves a good finish. A year later the front of the motorhome still looks spotlessly clean and shiny and it seems the dirt etc does not stick to it nearly as badly.

Very little effort to maintain a great finish.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Mer is an old fashioned polish. In its day it was quite good. I used it and liked it for the simple way it did its job. Bloody dusty stuff but still quite good.

Mer was and is a low cut polish. I think many find it hard to differentiate between a surface that has been thoroughly cleaned which is exactly what Mer will do and a surface that has been what we detailers call corrected.

For many a really well cleaned surface which has a super smooth feel to it is brilliant ! And indeed it is ! No question.

But to a detailer it aint going to be anywhere near good enough !

When I polish a cars paint I want an absolutely flawless finish ! This often means removing all the minor swirling marks and scratches and all and any defects that are on the paint. This is what we call "Correcting" the paint or the surface whatever that surface is.

Take a look at this picture. It shows the paint on my old 2006 Toyota Rav4 after it has been deep cleaned clayed and ready for polishing. Note the swirls and minor defects on the paint .
    [​IMG]

This picture shows that same area but after polishing. Please remember polish is for the removal of surface defects and to refine the finish to as good as we can get it before we protect it with wax
    [​IMG]

Another before polish.
    [​IMG]
    After polish
    [​IMG]

This area is now what I call corrected and ready for Wax. It is the wax that will protect it,
    [​IMG]

The very act of polishing paint or surfaces will make them better no matter how small that gain is. But please remember the area you have just polished will need protecting. Only a wax or a sealant can do this as the polish you or I have used cannot and will not do it. Yes water may shed of the surface because the surface has been refined is slicker and smoother but again wax is what is required or only half the job has been done.

Please do not think for a minute that Im suggesting that many of you go to the lengths that we detailers do ! But trust me when I say that the correct product whether used by a person like me who is I suppose a bit OCD or a person who has only a little interest will reap huge rewards.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. etap

etap

Thanks for that Charlie a great reply, not being a paint man I had no idea why certain waxes or polishes were used other than making paint look better.
    Etap

• Like Like x 1