Waving.... (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We second signal too :ROFLMAO:
My daughter often navigates as she is way better than me and gets the right hump if people don't wave back ( she is only 22!!!) we recently travelled to Belgium and France, you can't really wave much because the rods are often 2 lanes but on the single country roads we got plenty of waves, did tend to be Brits and not many A class......shame on you.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I still consider myself a motor home newbie, I think it is great that mhomers wave, just like years ago when we had certain cars or motor bikes, on driving to and from Lincolnshire last Friday, every mhomer waved, some first as I didn`t see them at first, then I did wave, others I waved first, gives a happy feeling, on going to Newark show yesterday, passed a lot, not one waved, still they were bigger than mine. ::bigsmile: I am all for this waving, why not ? it`s a greeting after all with like minded pps., providing it is safe to do so of course.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If they dont wave back, I mutter "miserable bugger" and it is more frequently HYMERS :Eeek: are they the upper class ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Waving is an interesting phenomenon, one of the few classless activities where interaction between any sector of society is without a thought for who you are interacting with. Old Mo he will wave to anyone.:winky:

This all changes of course when you get parked up on site where we return to assessing and selecting people by all manor of of things.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I wave in the winter time when there are only one or two MH`s about.

But this time of year heading along the M5 with 0000`s of them ,it would look like I would be suffering from wan**rs cramp and a mental health problem .

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If they dont wave back, I mutter "miserable bugger" and it is more frequently HYMERS :Eeek: are they the upper class ??

I notice that some new MH drivers don`t wave at us old banger types.

Old Fiat`s and Talbot owners seem cheery and wave at us a lot.

I am thinking about changing to a Hymer soon.

Does this mean then I will be a (posh camper)--- and can only wave at idiot drivers to get out of my way .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I notice that some new MH drivers don`t wave at us old banger types.

Old Fiat`s and Talbot owners seem cheery and wave at us a lot.

I am thinking about changing to a Hymer soon.

Does this mean then I will be a (posh camper)--- and can only wave at idiot drivers to get out of my way .

Its mainly A Class Hymers , so get a coachbuilt and you'll be OK :thumb:::bigsmile: unless you are very posh :Eeek:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

No its just that RV owners are desperate to be waved at as it makes them feel accepted when I owned RVs I was amazed how many motorhomers ignored our waves.:cry::cry:

As for Hymer owners of course we're superior we made the right choice and bought the best m/home :winky: didn't we :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As for waving sometimes we do sometimes we don't:Cool:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I wave most times, but not many wave back - perhaps Hexie is too old! :winky:

I don't wave if I'm on a dual carriageway as most times I'm too busy trying to keep out of harm's way with some of the stupid drivers that you find on there!:Doh:

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I don't wave if I'm on a dual carriageway as most times I'm too busy trying to keep out of harm's way with some of the stupid drivers that you find on there!:Doh:

Same here, no waving on motorways, the other MH is just too far away. On dual carriageway I wave very very occasionally.
I like Fance as the sat-nav is set to no-tolls so lots of waving on single carriageway roads. We get waves back more often than not.

Gordon

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Well ....we have waved all the way long our journey (....I was sleeping sometimes but my heart was with JJ's waving:winky:) ...in a Hymer and a lot did not wave back and JJ used to tell me "Don't get upset Princess, they don't know what claaaaass is"

I assume you were talking of new Hymers, certainly not old ones, they are claaassss ....nothing to do with upper class , those are snobbish!:winky:::bigsmile:

Frankie:Cool:

OP
OP
A

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
Right then, I shall start blowing kisses, just for those with the self esteem issues:thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I find it quite sad really. Not acknowleding someone when they wave to you, no reply when you wish someone "good morning", if I hold a door open for someone they walk through without a comment. Such things used to be considered rude. Nowadays, however, being polite is seen as something to be suspicious of. How come? The origins of waving, handshaking etc. were to show friendliness as opposed to evil intent so is modern society better off by ignoring such politeness?:Sad:

Wyn

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Right then, I shall start blowing kisses, just for those with the self esteem issues:thumb:

You are missing the point big time, but then I think that is your intention.

The rest of you - stop being Hymerist. We are a lovely bunch of people, well mostly, with our drop down beds and greenhouse windscreens that cost the earth to replace! :ROFLMAO:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
i noticed its the old codgers that wave,and i thought it them telling us to move over a bit as they [STRIKE]need[/STRIKE] want all the road:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Both OH and I are early-ish-ish 30's and we love a good wave. It's very common over here especially the Italians love it, if you see that small front plate you know you're getting a wave :)

Funny someone mentioned 2CV waving (out of pity) - my mum had one when I was a kid and I hated the thing, people used to wave at her. At first she thought it was weird but then started waving back! God I hated that car.

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Waving

I waved at an "Eddy Stobart" lorry driver yesterday..:thumb:

Bugger never waved back... :Sad::winky:

Noooooo..
Him lorry...you motorhome....different:Doh::Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the origin of the wave and also the handshake were in medieval times. it was a greeting to show you were unarmed and came as a friend and not a threat

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Exactly - so what conclusion do we conclude from people's reluctance to even acknowledge being greeted?

Wyn

the origin of the wave and also the handshake were in medieval times. it was a greeting to show you were unarmed and came as a friend and not a threat

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

We say the same:roflmto: But after having spent a couple of days with a couple who owned an old Hymer recently we must speak in their defence. We had a brilliant night at the pub near the site and hopefully we'll stop by and see them on our way back north:thumb:

Ladyrunner

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6 happy years !!
Now that I work as a bus driver and spend my whole time driving around the town centre of Brighton & Hove waving at other bus drivers (from my company and most other companies) I tend not to wave now very often when driving my motorhome. I take a holiday from it :ROFLMAO: :Smile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
No-one ever waves at me..... :cry:

And my efforts at initiating the wave exchange are getting more and more pathetic (it's down to the stage where I waggle my fingers above the steering wheel) as I prepare myself for the lack of any kind of reply :Sad:

In fact, I don't even look for a reply now, for fear that no response will shatter my poor ego :RollEyes:

So I think that from now on I won't start the wave, and if any big motorhome [STRIKE]snob[/STRIKE] driver waves at me then either

a) I'll drive the 'van off the road in shock

or

b) I'll start waving back furiously like a total nutcase.

REMEMBER FOLKS...

Not all motohomes are big, white and ugly when you're looking for one to wave to...

...some of them are small, blue and...er...ugly. And would appreciate a wave :Blush:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
In our experience 'selective waving' seems to be the general norm in UK, obviously with exceptions :winky:... depends on size/perceived value etc. or so it appears.

Here in France (well, at least in Normandie/Bretagne) all MHers wave irrespective. Same applies on aires - chat and interact with the 30' MH with expensive boat on trailer or the couple of 'unwasheds' in their old J5 - no superiority/inferiority implied/offered - all just enjoying life.............. :Smile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
In our experience 'selective waving' seems to be the general norm in UK, obviously with exceptions :winky:... depends on size/perceived value etc. or so it appears.

Here in France (well, at least in Normandie/Bretagne) all MHers wave irrespective. Same applies on aires - chat and interact with the 30' MH with expensive boat on trailer or the couple of 'unwasheds' in their old J5 - no superiority/inferiority implied/offered - all just enjoying life.............. :Smile:

We drove into an aire near Burgundy and a couple of hours later, two French vans turned up. I moved our seats so they could park one next to me, the other next to the first. They were mates( or should that be Ami's) and they both came over and we had an interesting conversation for about 20 minutes.i say interestin becsuse I speak French like the Genderme in 'Allo 'Allo and neither of them spoke any English
I'd love to know what we were talking about but we had a great time
We all waved when we left

Allan

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I , wave if safe to do so, but I have been waved at on motorways, roundabouts, coming round bends on narrow roads in Scotland etc in those circumstances call me Mr grumpy but I don't return a wave. I remember my second ever car was an old Saab 96 two stroke used to enjoy waving to other Saab owners.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back