Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
LINCOLNSHIRE
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
23 YEARS
I"ve just had a gripe and thought i would share it with my fellow motorhomers.
Recently went away for a few days and did notice that although the majority of people who passed us did wave ,there was quite a few who clearly had a good fellowship bypass and looked rather superior ?
Maybe they are fed up of responding to others ,but we all know, these
babies aint cheap!! And the pleasure they offer re freedom , going places,
and the lovely people we get to meet on our travels are something to treasure!
Celebrate your motorhome and share in the fun
paul

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Paul,

Do you think that any type of motor home should wave to each other or should it be say Hymer to Hymer or Burstner to Burstner?

A further problem we have over here touring the USA is being able to see if the other person is waving, not easy if the windows are tinted :Sad:

Mick

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We always wave and find the majority wave back ...albeit of the 2 fingered style....Only Joking.:ROFLMAO:

I love the way of life and am not in it for what van you own.:ROFLMAO:More so to give the kids a bit of adventure and see places.

We wave/flash headlights to ALL motorhomes.:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Recently went away for a few days and did notice that although the majority of people who passed us did wave ,there was quite a few who clearly had a good fellowship bypass and looked rather superior ?

They are superior. They have normal healthy egos that can handle a little bit of being ignored themselves and figure you can too.
If you are taking your eyes off the road for long enough to determine their inner thoughts from how they look, you are just a danger to all other road users.

Get over it.

shifter

Free Member
Jan 18, 2009
wee island across pond NI
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
3 years
when my friends daughter who's 13 travels with us she loves to wave at all other MH,but isn't to impressed when they don't wave back.she also puts the hazard lights on for a quick flash when lorries flash lights when we pass to let us back in to lane :thanks2:

Last edited:
A

Addie

Deleted User
I think sometimes it's a bit of a stand off. I wave, but usually just lift my hand on the wheel as I would if I was saying thank you to someone.

Sometimes you wave at a few people and then one or two might not wave back, so then you don't feel like waving first at the next camper and so when they wave at you it's too late to respond.

I never take offence if I don't get waved back at, especially given I'm in my early 20's and most motorhomers are 50+ and probably think I've stolen it anyway!

I've got to say though some people take it a bit far. I was recently waved at by a lady in a passenger seat who had a giant yellow foam hand like you see people with at rock concerts!

Interestingly enough, everyone seems to wave on the road but at a site they're all miserable buggers. Much prefer motorhoming in Europe where there are lots of English and Auz/Kiwi's in UK registered van's to have a good chat with.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
lol, deffo agree with the miserable gits on campsites thing, maybe it's due to having to pay the best part of 30 quid to stay on some sites for one night AND have to then share the site with the oiks in cheaper vans than theirs :RollEyes:

it is great when you can park up on a free aire or stellplatz abroad next to an ozzie or kiwi, your guarentee'd a good time, never met a miserable one yet, even one who had just been fined 400 euro's for some traffic offence was in the usual 'ahh well, that's life, shal we get the barbie going then' mood.

i get a lot of people looking down their nose at me on sites in england, i'm fairly young....and don't anyone say different :ROFLMAO:
But they are all dying to ask me why i am not at work,
when they find out i've been medicaly retired, they dont want to know what for, they just start ranting on about how they worked all their life, paid every penny into the state and are now getting hardly anything back, and i'm there 'obviousely' playing the system or something, and it must be their money they paid to the state that's paid for my motorhome and now my 'holidays' in it.

when i meet an ozzie or kiwi, they congratulate me for doing what i have managed to build and the life i am trying to live, they really seem to believe in the live and let live thing.

for the record, i built the motorhome over 5 years, parents paid for the body, i paid for the rest by saving up and buying little bits at a time, inheritances went into it too,
my medical conditions dont care if im in a bricks and mortar house or one made of wood and alli on wheels (except having to empty the bog tank every day sometimes)

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I always try to wave but sometimes i miss another motorhome due to trying to kep one eye on the road. So maybe sometimes i am the misserable git.

Andy

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i think i am used to waving, having owned an air cooled VW when i was 19 (a beach buggy, so some of the concourus lot refused to aknowlage me... especialy if i was wearing my buggy club t-shirt.. the logo being a tin opener and a spanner :roflmto:

i now own a smart car, and am getting lots of waves from fellow smart owners, followed one bloke the other night, got a big thumps up when he went infront of me from a roundabout, a honking of the horn and a big wave as he went a different direction at the end of the road,

i usually adopt the 'you wave first i'll reply' mode in the motorhome, but of course that dosent work if the other one is in that mode too :RollEyes:

dowtchaboy

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Cork, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Anybody caught out doing the wave and getting annoyed by getting no response ? ... and then realising you are in your car..... or on the bus.....:Doh:

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Interestingly enough we had the same conversation returning from our IOW break yesterday. When we set off Friday last virtually every motahomer we passed waved, on the way back we must have passed at least a dozen, not one of them waved back!!!!

We put it down to possibly being miffed off at the prospect of returning home. Didnt stop us though.:Smile:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I always give a quick flash of the lights first, that gets the attention, then wave. never fails.
But their is always the odd occasion that I am engrossed in traffic that i dint see you.:ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Similar to Gaz I am a member of three different groups of people who always wave ( MH'ers, bikers and Smarty folk )...
I often wave at peeps from the 'wrong' group and get some very funny looks ! :roflmto:

davaud

Free Member
Mar 20, 2008
cheshire
Funster No
MH
1992 coachbuilt
Exp
3 years motorhoming 18 years caraving
waving

i allways wave when i see another motorhome , but the point is i dont allways see the other motor homes im to busy looking round at the view ,im not the driver of course :Smile:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I"ve just had a gripe and thought i would share it with my fellow motorhomers.
Maybe they are fed up of responding to others ,but we all know, these
babies aint cheap!! And the pleasure they offer re freedom , going places,
and the lovely people we get to meet on our travels are something to treasure!
Celebrate your motorhome and share in the fun
paul
my wife and I wave to be sociable if we don't get a reply it's not a problem we've probably missed waving back on a few occasions. We have never come across any antisocial motorhomers once we've got to where we're going:thumb: we'll always wave :Smile:

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
We were once overtaken by a VW camper near Wales on the M4 and a couple waved at us, young lady had her boobs out tweeking her wheel nuts out the window.:Eeek:(Very Cold day) Mrs asked if she had to do the same, both say the funny side:ROFLMAO:

blueraven

Free Member
May 7, 2008
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since Apr 08
I sometimes don't wave

Hi
I find some of the topics on here really funny, this being one of them! Anyhow, when we had our caravan, no-one used to wave at us, here in UK or in Europe, although HGV's used to flash you back in lane and I'd say 'thanks' by putting my indicators on alternate 'flicks' for a second or so. I do the same now with our MH and am getting used to waving. Sometimes I forget because I am not looking on the other side of the road, I try to keep my eyes in front of me (?!) so occasionally don't see someone waving. Sorry if this means I'm a miserable git. I'm not, really, I'm just concentrating and trying to get used to friendly MH'ers.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We wave at everytype of mh we notice but watching the scenery means we sometimes miss them. Most wave back (all nationalities we've noticed on our travels so far), some don't but we try not to take offence :Smile:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
People driving caravans NEVER wave. Is this some unwritten law?:Doh:

Anyway, my other half doesn't even see other vehicles when shes driving cos she's concentrating so hard!!:roflmto:

spindrifter

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Funster No
Oh Dear - Senior moment!

The other weekend when we were on our way to the coast I waved as usual to an oncoming motorhome - my wife asked me what I was doing.

I said: "I was waving to that motorhome - we always wave, don't we".

"Yes", she said "but we're in the car"!!!

Cheers

:Blush:

Spindrifter

S

stagman

Deleted User
The other weekend when we were on our way to the coast I waved as usual to an oncoming motorhome - my wife asked me what I was doing.

I said: "I was waving to that motorhome - we always wave, don't we".

"Yes", she said "but we're in the car"!!!

Cheers

:Blush:

Spindrifter

I do it sometimes in my works van:Blush:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are wavers, i mean the old trout and me, it keeps us awake and smiling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back