Waving at fellow motorhomers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by maxitai, May 30, 2009.

1. maxitai

maxitai Read Only Funster

I"ve just had a gripe and thought i would share it with my fellow motorhomers.
    Recently went away for a few days and did notice that although the majority of people who passed us did wave ,there was quite a few who clearly had a good fellowship bypass and looked rather superior ?
    Maybe they are fed up of responding to others ,but we all know, these
    babies aint cheap!! And the pleasure they offer re freedom , going places,
    and the lovely people we get to meet on our travels are something to treasure!
    Celebrate your motorhome and share in the fun
    paul

2. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

Paul,

Do you think that any type of motor home should wave to each other or should it be say Hymer to Hymer or Burstner to Burstner?

A further problem we have over here touring the USA is being able to see if the other person is waving, not easy if the windows are tinted :Sad:

Mick

3. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

We always wave and find the majority wave back ...albeit of the 2 fingered style....Only Joking.:Rofl1:

I love the way of life and am not in it for what van you own.:Rofl1:More so to give the kids a bit of adventure and see places.

We wave/flash headlights to ALL motorhomes.:Cool:

4. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

i wave to all some wave back and some dont the ones that dont should have gone to spec savers

5. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

JUST WAVE :thumb:

6. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

They are superior. They have normal healthy egos that can handle a little bit of being ignored themselves and figure you can too.
    If you are taking your eyes off the road for long enough to determine their inner thoughts from how they look, you are just a danger to all other road users.

Get over it.

7. shifter

shifter Read Only Funster

when my friends daughter who's 13 travels with us she loves to wave at all other MH,but isn't to impressed when they don't wave back.she also puts the hazard lights on for a quick flash when lorries flash lights when we pass to let us back in to lane :thanks2:

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  8. Addie

Addie Deleted User

I think sometimes it's a bit of a stand off. I wave, but usually just lift my hand on the wheel as I would if I was saying thank you to someone.

Sometimes you wave at a few people and then one or two might not wave back, so then you don't feel like waving first at the next camper and so when they wave at you it's too late to respond.

I never take offence if I don't get waved back at, especially given I'm in my early 20's and most motorhomers are 50+ and probably think I've stolen it anyway!

I've got to say though some people take it a bit far. I was recently waved at by a lady in a passenger seat who had a giant yellow foam hand like you see people with at rock concerts!

Interestingly enough, everyone seems to wave on the road but at a site they're all miserable buggers. Much prefer motorhoming in Europe where there are lots of English and Auz/Kiwi's in UK registered van's to have a good chat with.

9. gazznsam

gazznsam Read Only Funster

lol, deffo agree with the miserable gits on campsites thing, maybe it's due to having to pay the best part of 30 quid to stay on some sites for one night AND have to then share the site with the oiks in cheaper vans than theirs :RollEyes:

it is great when you can park up on a free aire or stellplatz abroad next to an ozzie or kiwi, your guarentee'd a good time, never met a miserable one yet, even one who had just been fined 400 euro's for some traffic offence was in the usual 'ahh well, that's life, shal we get the barbie going then' mood.

i get a lot of people looking down their nose at me on sites in england, i'm fairly young....and don't anyone say different :Rofl1:
    But they are all dying to ask me why i am not at work,
    when they find out i've been medicaly retired, they dont want to know what for, they just start ranting on about how they worked all their life, paid every penny into the state and are now getting hardly anything back, and i'm there 'obviousely' playing the system or something, and it must be their money they paid to the state that's paid for my motorhome and now my 'holidays' in it.

when i meet an ozzie or kiwi, they congratulate me for doing what i have managed to build and the life i am trying to live, they really seem to believe in the live and let live thing.

for the record, i built the motorhome over 5 years, parents paid for the body, i paid for the rest by saving up and buying little bits at a time, inheritances went into it too,
    my medical conditions dont care if im in a bricks and mortar house or one made of wood and alli on wheels (except having to empty the bog tank every day sometimes)

10. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I always try to wave but sometimes i miss another motorhome due to trying to kep one eye on the road. So maybe sometimes i am the misserable git.

Andy

11. gazznsam

gazznsam Read Only Funster

i think i am used to waving, having owned an air cooled VW when i was 19 (a beach buggy, so some of the concourus lot refused to aknowlage me... especialy if i was wearing my buggy club t-shirt.. the logo being a tin opener and a spanner :Laughing:

i now own a smart car, and am getting lots of waves from fellow smart owners, followed one bloke the other night, got a big thumps up when he went infront of me from a roundabout, a honking of the horn and a big wave as he went a different direction at the end of the road,

i usually adopt the 'you wave first i'll reply' mode in the motorhome, but of course that dosent work if the other one is in that mode too :RollEyes:

12. dowtchaboy

dowtchaboy Read Only Funster

Anybody caught out doing the wave and getting annoyed by getting no response ? ... and then realising you are in your car..... or on the bus.....:Doh:

13. The Wild Ones

The Wild Ones Read Only Funster

Interestingly enough we had the same conversation returning from our IOW break yesterday. When we set off Friday last virtually every motahomer we passed waved, on the way back we must have passed at least a dozen, not one of them waved back!!!!

We put it down to possibly being miffed off at the prospect of returning home. Didnt stop us though.:Smile:

14. Mrs Munchie

Mrs Munchie Funster

Or waving at the laundry van? :Eeek:

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and just what is wrong with that?????? :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. Mrs Munchie

Mrs Munchie Funster

You do get some novel responses. :swear::rollonfloor:

17. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

I always give a quick flash of the lights first, that gets the attention, then wave. never fails.
    But their is always the odd occasion that I am engrossed in traffic that i dint see you.:Rofl1:

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Similar to Gaz I am a member of three different groups of people who always wave ( MH'ers, bikers and Smarty folk )...
    I often wave at peeps from the 'wrong' group and get some very funny looks ! :Laughing:

19. davaud

davaud Read Only Funster

waving

i allways wave when i see another motorhome , but the point is i dont allways see the other motor homes im to busy looking round at the view ,im not the driver of course :Smile:

20. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

my wife and I wave to be sociable if we don't get a reply it's not a problem we've probably missed waving back on a few occasions. We have never come across any antisocial motorhomers once we've got to where we're going:thumb: we'll always wave :Smile: