Watford to Folkstone (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I will be leaving Watford for Channel Tunnel at 6am on a Monday morning in October. Google maps say 1hr 45mins with no traffic. Can anyone tell me how much time I should realistically allow before I book the tunnel.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
So that's M1,M25, Dartford Crossing, M25,M20.
Monday morning, best of luck.
Could be an easy 2 hours, could be 4 hours.
Welcome to Britains motorway network!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Personally, I would allow at least 3 hours, bearing in mind that if arriving early at tunnel you will almost certainly be offered an earlier crossing.

Having said that we always go down a day early and stay on a CL near Ashford which gives us a stress free journey to the tunnel.

Last edited:

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
+/- 100 miles going clockwise M25 or 10 miles longer going counterclockwise.
Personally, I'd go clockwise - I've always seen traffic heavier going counterclockwise along that stretch of M25 in the morning.
100 miles is going to be at least 2 hours driving, more like 3 and could be much more.
If it were me, and it often is, from north of the crossing, I leave as early as I can manage and am happy to kill a few hours after the crossing rather than shuffle my way over that bridge.
Be sure to sort your Dart Charge before you leave.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When it comes to anywhere on the M25 on a Monday morning you can calculate a time and then double or treble it! It starts getting very busy at about 6am. I too would go Sunday evening. Stay the night at the Aire at Canterbury (need to be there before 8pm I think to get in), then a nice easy stress free drive in the morning

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
When it comes to anywhere on the M25 on a Monday morning you can calculate a time and then double or treble it! It starts getting very busy at about 6am. I too would go Sunday evening. Stay the night at the Aire at Canterbury (need to be there before 8pm I think to get in), then a nice easy stress free drive in the morning
Have got to agree with the above, we stayed at Canterbury P&R last year had a great meal in the pub on the corner and a nice relaxing drive to Folkestone the next morning, a great way to start your holiday. (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Which Watford? I go from Watford Village on the A5 as in next to Watford Gap to Dover and it took 3 hours north London one somewhat less maybe.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Leave Sunday and be sure, Monday mornings are always the worst.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks as always for the info I have decided to leave 6am Sunday morning.
Should be nice and quiet then. BUT that is why they sometimes carry out works on the M25 then, so you may find the bridge closed and 2 way working through the tunnels.

If you are not catching the ferry until Monday morning then I recommend a stay at the Canterbury P&R Aire. £3 for 24 hours and there is water and waste disposal. Also toilets are open during the day. That also includes free use of the P&R bus into the City centre - just show them your car park ticket.

You will need to make arrangements to pay the Dartford Toll by phone or t-internet, because there are no longer any toll booths and everything is done using ANPR.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
If you are not catching the ferry until Monday morning then I recommend a stay at the Canterbury P&R Aire. £3 for 24 hours and there is water and waste disposal. Also toilets are open during the day. That also includes free use of the P&R bus into the City centre - just show them your car park ticket.

I agree that Canterbury P & R is a very good option, but just three points :-

1. The emptying facilities comprise a single drain grid in the "roadway" at the end of the parking and not everybody lifts the grill when emptying their cassettes.

2. Their is only the one tap and I have seen the tap outlet inserted into the discharge tube of a cassette more than once, so precautions need to be taken.

3. If heading for the tunnel from the P & R please note that it is a bit of a cross-country drive so allow time for it. It is easier to access Dover (20 minutes).

Edit> I think my brother allows 2 hours from Harpenden to the Tunnel, in a non-too-slow Vectra

J

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back