Jerseycol

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Jersey channel islands
Funster No
MH
Swift kontiki Fairway
Exp
Hi To Everyone Again:Smile: Not been on for a while lots of stuff happning with work and family, but good to see some regular names still here and new ones too.
ok i don't know if you remember I bought my first moterhome 1 and half years ago it was an eldiss autoking 1988 2.5 beautiful condition, problem is I have not really used it yet except for runs to the beach at weekends,it has been stored on my driveway mostly.
now that I seem to have time again to get her ready for a shakedown i was hoping if someone could tell me how to clean the water tank correctly so i can get the tank filled again safely or at least have her ready to be filled.
Thanks
Jerseycol.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont know if this is the correct way,but I use a strong solution of Milton and go for a drive round,then leave it over night and drain it through the taps.Make sure you rinse it out well with clean water.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

I normally go to the home brew shop and get some Campden Tablets. This is used for brewing and wine bottles so not after-taste.

Have used for years.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We put a solution of milton in then (cos we can access the tank) slosh it around so every bit is covered. we then run to taps till it's coming out then leave overnight and flush through with fresh water. (lots of-it)

cheers...nige

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
we use milton, fill the tank to overflowing run the taps, top the tank up and leave it 24 hours, flush it thru and fill with clean water simples:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sodium hypochlorite,[bleach] at 2% w/v is the active ingredient in Milton with 16.5% sodium chloride [salt]

I have always used household bleach which is around 5% w/v. [You can check this on the bottle ]

To clean and sanitize the tank and pipework .. about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach [depending on tank size] added to a full tank of water, pump through the lines to each tap in turn , leave for a couple of hours, then drain and flush with fresh water twice..

Just for interest, Sodium Hypochlorite is used extensively in the food industry, bought in bulk at 50% w/v then diluted to sanitize fresh salad and fruit before packing .. used with care it is the best you can use.. and cost pennies compared to Milton ..

If you use Milton then use just under half the amount of bleach.

Note .. Care should be exercised with stainless steel tanks, .. either isolate or don't leave the solution in the tank for more than an hour..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back