Watertank

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Jerseycol, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Jerseycol

Jerseycol Funster

Hi To Everyone Again:Smile: Not been on for a while lots of stuff happning with work and family, but good to see some regular names still here and new ones too.
    ok i don't know if you remember I bought my first moterhome 1 and half years ago it was an eldiss autoking 1988 2.5 beautiful condition, problem is I have not really used it yet except for runs to the beach at weekends,it has been stored on my driveway mostly.
    now that I seem to have time again to get her ready for a shakedown i was hoping if someone could tell me how to clean the water tank correctly so i can get the tank filled again safely or at least have her ready to be filled.
    Thanks
    Jerseycol.

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I dont know if this is the correct way,but I use a strong solution of Milton and go for a drive round,then leave it over night and drain it through the taps.Make sure you rinse it out well with clean water.

3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

I normally go to the home brew shop and get some Campden Tablets. This is used for brewing and wine bottles so not after-taste.

Have used for years.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

4. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

We put a solution of milton in then (cos we can access the tank) slosh it around so every bit is covered. we then run to taps till it's coming out then leave overnight and flush through with fresh water. (lots of-it)

cheers...nige

5. wasp

wasp Funster

we use milton, fill the tank to overflowing run the taps, top the tank up and leave it 24 hours, flush it thru and fill with clean water simples:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sodium hypochlorite,[bleach] at 2% w/v is the active ingredient in Milton with 16.5% sodium chloride [salt]

I have always used household bleach which is around 5% w/v. [You can check this on the bottle ]

To clean and sanitize the tank and pipework .. about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach [depending on tank size] added to a full tank of water, pump through the lines to each tap in turn , leave for a couple of hours, then drain and flush with fresh water twice..

Just for interest, Sodium Hypochlorite is used extensively in the food industry, bought in bulk at 50% w/v then diluted to sanitize fresh salad and fruit before packing .. used with care it is the best you can use.. and cost pennies compared to Milton ..

If you use Milton then use just under half the amount of bleach.

Note .. Care should be exercised with stainless steel tanks, .. either isolate or don't leave the solution in the tank for more than an hour..