Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
A Class.
Exp
Newcomer.
Hi All, My 1988 Talbot Pilote R750 seems to be showing early signs of the sealing failing on the roof panels. Looks like they have been "improved" over time by adding more and more sealant. No sign yet of ingress but You never can tell!! Can one of You experts advise the best way to proceed with this problem. Do I take it all off and start again or is there a better way to go?? Advice appreciated, please.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Remove the old sealer and replace with new non- drying bedding sealer. NEVER use silicone - that will cause more leaks than it stops.

If you have the metal strips, start by removing the insert (pulls out) and unscrewing the small screws. Then it gets a little messy. You will need a blade, a piece of cloth and a flat driver.

Very gently prise the strip off evenly and gently, do not bend it. Eventually it will move, but you will have stringy selaer attached. Cut this with the blade and separate.

Next, clean both the roof join and the metal strip. You can use a solvent for this. Lift the join and clear out and crumbling sealer - gently is the watch-word here.

Taking you bedding sealer, run a bead between the join and wipe off excess. Then take your ally strip and run a thick bead, the width of the inner channel down the length. Using a screw as a guide each end, meet the old holes up. This will keep it in place - now screw down from the inside evenly until you reach the ends.

IMPORTANT! Do not - screw down tightly - screw 'halfway wipe off excess, and let the sealer harden a little overnight - then tighten down the following morning.

Do this to the roof and sides, also any skylights - you will be watertight for a few years then!:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Use Sikaflex 512, local camping shop or on my website (being upgraded at the moment, tempory hiccups! :cry::cry::cry:

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just done mine(R750 like yours) Use the good stuff mate! none of that B&Q rubbish Sikaflex is the done deal, expensive? but well worth it, Rainbows' advice is sound! and John Cross, Sikaflex cost me about £13 a tube at the local yokal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back