Waterproofing an OS map ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, May 9, 2010.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've just purchased an Ordnance Survey Explorer Select map for walking and cycling locally ..

If you haven't heard of them, OS Select is a-made-to-order mapping service that gives you the opportunity to decide the centre location of the map.
    This can be your house, your favourite walk or even a mountain bike trail – anywhere in Great Britain! You can also choose from 21 cover images to further personalise your map.

It was delivered in 48hrs and they have an offer on doing them for £13.60.

Details here

The only downside is that they don't supply a waterproof version so I would like to find a waterproof spay ..
    I've Googled and found a product from the States called Aquaseal but can't find a UK supplier..

Has anyone done this and what product did you use ?

thanks

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i use a clear plastic wallet .bought from adventure store. even stick it to a bike tank when required .comes with a string to hang round your neck .velcro fastening one end.

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you could try brushing fabsil on it .the ink might not run ,never tried it.
    do a corner .
    i had a poster framed once its got a fine shiny lamination thats w,resistant but firm closed now. it was done at the framers .

4. scotjimland

5. Robinhood

Robinhood Read Only Funster

6. scotjimland

7. Robinhood

Robinhood Read Only Funster

Whilst I like to carry the real OS map with me for an area, If we have plans to do particular areas or a cycle ride or walk, I usually print off the area required from my Fugawi 1:50000 OS maps (maximum A4 size print, but you can scale - may need multiple pages), and then put into a plastic A4 binder wallet. Frankly, they can then be treated as disposable, and it is easy to pencil routes in etc.

Other OS map systems offer similar capabilities.

Whilst the initial outlay may seem high, having the whole of the UK OS loaded on the netbook means that we don't have to worry too much about maps wherever we go.

It's paid for itself several times over.

I must admit that (possibly contrary to copyright laws - don't try this at home :RollEyes:) if I have defined route I want to do, I usually follow it at 1:25000 level on www.streetmap.co.uk, and 'snip' and paste the route maps into a word document, print and wallet as above. Makes route finding very easy, and never needed more than 2 duplex sheets printing.

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I have waterprooffed maps using fabsil with great success But I have used Thompsons water seal the most as I always have some in the barn as I use it on an exposed wall of our house once a year. Waterproofing does make the map last a little longer, but in my experience its always the folds that disintegrate, whether they get wet or not, but especially if they do get very wet.

Whenever I buy OS maps now I always buy them pre laminated. But for years I made do by using a combination of polytunnel repair tape on seams after waterproofing. This makes folding initially a little difficult but once the creases are in the tape the longevity is excellent.

9. scotjimland

Hi

I looked at buying the OS mapping for the lappy, as you say, it is expensive..

I've also scanned OS maps and printed on A4 , Streetmaps are also very good.

However I like keeping original maps, I have a collection of OS maps my dad gave me going back to the 50s, some are printed on linen, they have lots of notes, walks and camping site he used and I'm adding to it, so one day I will hopefully hand on to one of my sons .. or daughter .. :Laughing:

Thanks for the tips

10. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Jim I've just had a word with the senior partner who says we've already posted on a post about GPS where she gets O.S. maps off the web which are not expensive. I think there are several sites. The trouble is, in my ignorance I don't know where to look up my previous postings.

So far as waterproofing the maps, don't bother. There are any number of cheap map cases available. I've just weighed mine, from "Adventuridge" (Aldi) and with an A4 map, a printed set of way-points for the sat-nav, a compass on a cord with a scale, magnifier and romer, a pencil, and a whistle - my spare -it weighs 201 grammes.*

Two transparent waterproof pockets, a strap to go round my neck, a zip pocket and two or three others, it's had a couple of years regular use and good for many more (Hope I am!) and cost damn all.

(*I usually also carry spare batteries for the sat nav and mobile phone which Scilla carries)

11. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Scilla's checked - heading of our original post is UK touring 16343 Sandwood Bay NW Scotland, on 19 March 2010, bottom of page 2. You were posting there, back in October three posts before me, ("I wish there were more campsites like this")

Pl PM us if we can help any more

Update:
    She's now found it:
    "Here is a really good website for the wild Highlands. Click on the Sandwood Bay walk

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/sutherland/durness.shtml

enjoy the browsing on this site.

If you have a walking satnav - we have a Garmin etrexh - you should check out the Mapyx Quo website at

http://www.mapyx.com

It is brilliant. We buy the 50K Landranger tiles and plan and print from them. We also carry the paper OS Explorer maps as back up in these wild areas.

(Credit the Senior Partner, custodian of the family brain cell.) "

12. scotjimland

Hi

October 2009 ? .. too long ago, I can hardly remember last week .:Doh:. :Laughing:

Thanks for the reminder and info :thumb:

13. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Considering the price Jim and the amount of time OS have now been going i'm just surprised they don't offer laminated copies. Infact I feel sure some years ago they actually did use some kind of laminate on OS mapping specifically for walkers etc.
    They wouldn't be cheap, but will last years if not a lifetime.

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Whilst out this morning we went into a local branch of Poundland and found that they are selling map cases which looked OK for the price.

Graham

15. david.h.gto

david.h.gto Read Only Funster

In the Army we covered maps with clear Fablon & used Chinagraph pencils to mark them up! Other marking pencils worked well, but were water soluble!:Smile:

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

soak in olive oil then hang to dry for a few weeks.:thumb:

17. scotjimland

It's a map John.. not a sun dried tomato :Doh: :Laughing:

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

that may be so Jim, but very old ships charts were waterproofed this way.:thumb:

19. JayDee

JayDee Funster

They were also glued to a well dressed pine board and given several coats of high quality varnish. Great for round Cape Horn in a gale, but not so good for hiking up a mountain.:RollEyes:

A firm called Ghiant sell an aerosol fixative spray for ink-jet printed pages. I have used it and found it very good at waterproofing. Trouble is it ain't cheap
    http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Ghiant+Inkjet+Fixative+Spray+-+MATT+300ml

John

20. TomTee

TomTee Deleted User

Good tip and thank you. One of my oldest friends who's a keen walker has a significant birthday coming up and this has solved the problem of a suitable present.