Water

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BgClick, Mar 4, 2014.

1. BgClick

BgClick Funster

I have just done the Truma Aquastar treatment ready for our travels but since the treatment the water pressure seems quite poor.

Further, if I shut the taps off for longer than say thirty minutes, when I turn them back on it takes a while for water to come out. It was fine before we drained down for the winter.

Any ideas welcome

2. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Are your drain taps properly shut down both hot and cold ??

Do you have an inline filter that may be blocked ??

Does the pump sound the same - it may have air in the system ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. BgClick

BgClick Funster

I drained it from the heater valve - lowest point. This is a snap valve and isn't losing water now

We have a pure azure filter but it's not inline. I took it out during treatment in any case

The pump does sound a little louder but I think that May be because I am focused on it if that makes sense?

I am wondering about non return valves at the moment and where I might find mine

4. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Doubt you would find any otherwise would be impossible to drain the system out - possibly one on the pump. If all drain points are closed and the tank is full try opening all the taps at once and waiting until you have a flow at each tap then shutting them down one at a time.

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

The chances are it is just that the hot water tank has not filled completely and has air in it.

Do not turn on either gas or electric heater.
    Turn on all the hot water taps ..

Might take several minutes to clear all the air locks..

Refill your cold water tank and hopefully all will be well :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

If you removed or opened the particle filter on the pump check that it is screwed back on fully or it will allow air to be drawn into the pump.

7. BgClick

BgClick Funster

So I run taps and expelled the air no problem....

... Come back next day and I have to do it all again.

Could I have a leak somewhere?

8. Terry

Terry Funster

It could be drawing air in but I doubt it.Wrap all joints in paper towel or loo roll -leave a few hours-then check to see if any are wet :Smile:Chances are that if the system is drawing air it will be leaking water ---are you sure the pump is not pumping pressure /re-pressuring the system every 10 mins or so ? Have you moved any pipes and caused a airlock ? I would have thought once you got water to the taps you would have got rid of any air etc,-it must have a leak to get air back in the system over night
    terry

9. mickymouse

mickymouse Read Only Funster

Hi I had a similar problem on my old Hymer which I traced to the non return valve fitted on the pump sticking open, causing the system to drain back down .
    Mickymouse

10. BgClick

BgClick Funster

Thanks, I will try a spare pump before I start tracing leaks

Cant understand why I would get a leak though seeing as I drained the system out before winter and I had the electric heater on number one during cold spells :-(

11. Terry

Terry Funster

It could be like MM says but I would expect the pump to keep pressurizing the system :Smile:
    terry

12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

A Hymer has a submerged Reich twin-barrelled pump and it only runs when a tap (or toilet flush) is opened. If the pump has been replaced at some point, ensure you have the version with a non-return valve built in to the outlet port on top of the pump - it's a large white plastic collar.
    Check all the pipe connections are secure to the pump and if all appears OK, I suggest tapping the pump body GENTLY against the tank inspection collar in case something has jammed.
    There is a possibility that the de-scaler may have affected an internal seal in the pump, or one in the pipe runs, but I would have thought this was unlikely.
    Stating the obvious, I presume the two drain valves in the hot and cold water pipes are shut? I think in the B544 twin-floor model they are located next to the waste tank dump valve. If yours is a single floored model, I'm not sure where they are - try looking in the base of wardrobes, under sink unit etc.

13. BgClick

BgClick Funster

So I just left the house to go watch footy and there are drips coming out of a down pipe underneath the wardrobe (where the heater is) could the dump valve (a manual one because the heater was replaced) be dodgy?

14. Terry

Terry Funster

I would say so :Smile:either way it should not be dropping water :BigGrin: The reason the pumps not working is because you have micro switches on your taps ie turn tap on switching pump on so not a pressurized system
    terry

15. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Depending on where the drain valves are located, they could also be the cause of water dropping out. In my case, both the Truma temperature safety valve, and the drain valves are in the base of the wardrobe and, when open, both cause water to fall out below the wardrobe.
    The image below shows the drain valves in the hot and cold pipes. Have you located them and are sure they are shut (don't over-tighten)? If so, then is the Truma temp safety valve pulled up (click) and staying up?
    If yes to all questions, it sounds as though one of the valves is faulty and I would suspect the Truma safety valve.
    Final thought - is the main power switch on the Electrobloc switched on? If it is off, the 12V feed to the Truma safety valve will be disconnected and the valve will open.

Attached Files:

16. BgClick

BgClick Funster

So I think its this component (see pic) that is faulty. The tiny rubber part came out during inspection :Eek!:

After purging the taps and shutting them off again I believe the water leaks from the small part of the red Tee piece; then the water continues to leak until the water level in the van stabilizes.

I think its this leak causing the problem?

Its about a half meter below the taps and I think that's consistent with the amount of gurgling and splashes that happen before water starts clear again.

I assume that this thing shouldn't leak out the small part of the tee at all in normal use?

If a small leak is normal then I am back to square one :-(

also not sure why the cold would also be affected :-(

Attached Files:

• tee.png
      tee.png
      File size:
      64.8 KB
      Views:
  17. Terry

Terry Funster

Big tip --:BigGrin: nothing is supposed to leak in your van so eliminate them as you go along :thumb:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  18. BgClick

BgClick Funster

It was the breather valve on the hot water elbow joint.

It wasn't completely stuck open but enough to drip drip water away over night.

I tried to reseat the little button but it wouldn't make an airtight seal.

The replacement elbow had a different valve mechanism. A flap rather than the button.