Water...to drink or not to drink

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by zen navigator, Jun 19, 2010.

1. zen navigator

zen navigator Read Only Funster

Got a nine year old van. We use the water for showers, washing up and boiled water for brews.

Boiling is going to kill any nasties, unpleasantness in the tank. Should we be purifying the water and does anybody actually use their water supply has drinking water?

Dave

2. MaureenD

MaureenD Read Only Funster

No we don't use it we carry the 5ltr water container and fill up on site. we use it to b rew as well.

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

None of this lot drink water :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Peter

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We do, but we use one of these. Capable of turning the dirtiest bug infested water into pure clean water. Its just nice to have clean fresh water on tap.

[​IMG]

5. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

why why why

way go to all the expense of filter systems etc Just fill the kettle from the site tap as and when need.!!plus a small 10 ltr plastic container for drinks

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We carry a 5l plastic container ( two sometimes ) with drinking water. The only time pumped water gets inside us is washed vegetables or tooth cleaning.

Very workable solution.

7. MAUBRI

MAUBRI Funster

I agree with you Jim, I 've had one in my last three vans over a 15 year period, yes they seem expensive but unlike other systems they do exactly what it says on the Box. It tastes as good a pure spring Water each filter lasts us a full 12 months before slowing the water supply down., I've never had to clean a tank out in all that time, just add a steralizing tablet now and then to combat any smells.

They are made in the USA but surprisingly RV's aren't fitted with them as standard.

Brian

8. Frankia

Frankia Read Only Funster

We use the smaller Nature Pure system as in http://www.generalecologyeurope.com/naturepure.html

and it is very effective and worth every penny.

We used to have a couple of 5Ltr bottles for drinking water but this system saves the space they occupied and it is so much easier just to turn a tap for fresh water (must be getting idle in me old age.

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i do have a doulton berkenfield system for safari use .but drink the water just about every where , lived on rain water coming of the trailer roof for 7 weeks last winter. that was in portugal. even in morocco i find i only use the filter if we have had to pick up really bad water from a river or something. just wash tank out at next clean water and off you go again . boil ware and drink lots wine it makes sense. even going down to gambia we never had a problem getting drinking water. but if in doubt get a filter ,but get a good one .i also have fitted the general ecology ones like the others use. i got mine because it as silver inlay and a very good ceramic filter.

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and if you're at a motorhome show rally and the water comes from a mobile water bowser ?
    many shows have only one or two taps for the whole ground and may be 400mtrs/500mtrs or more from the van...hence the bowsers.

And how long ago was the bowser last thoroughly cleaned and sterilised ? if ever.

11. roger buckley

roger buckley Read Only Funster

We buy 5 ltrs of water on arrival and use that for all drinking/cooking. We rinse through the water tank with Milton baby purifying liquid before using the water in there to wash with.
    All the best
    Roger

12. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

We have a nature pure filter, the best bit of kit we bought for the van. It saves storing lots on bottled water leaving room for more beer and wine:Rofl1:.
    The only problem is at home tap water taste horrible (chlorine) after we have been away using the van for a few days.

13. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Cheap bottled water for drinking (12p for 2 ltrs from Sainsbury's etc)
    5 litre carrier for filling up from site tap for dogs and cooking.
    On-board tank for washing.

..but then I am paranoid :Laughing:

14. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

we use the water that we put in the tank from the water on site but have recently bought a brita filter for use to drink but boil water from the tank for tea and coffee but use the water from the tank to clean teeth and stuff, never had tummy trouble must have good constitutions I say and you do need a few germs to stay immunne I reckon as my Mum always said a bit of dirt never hurt you and I am a firm believer in that:Rofl1:

15. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I agree with Alan.....(most of the time) meaning I have drunk water all over France, and Portugal, I live in France and drink French water all the time and have done for the last 7 years,...Now on a Aire, a little more caution.... we will always spray with a anti bacterial spray and a light bleach /water mix and wash the tap well, not because of the water it is because of other motorhomers, pushing the there toilet cassettes up and sometimes touching the drinking water tap !!!!????:Doh::Angry:....in the motorhome we fill up when leaving home, and our water will last from 3 to 4 days before refilling, and every second fill we will use aqua tabs to sterilize and purify and keep the tank clean ...............we have never had a stomach problem or the Deli Beli ....or the curry rush & flush..........:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Mel :thumb:

16. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

How much is the nature pure system?

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

fitted the nature pure system in my mates purple daf truck .seems quite good .he is alergic to chlorine etc . seems to take it all out but can bea bit heavy on filters . get plenty of seala as spare. .the beauty of the berkenfield is as it slows down you can scrub the filter candle and use again. .got mine from brownchurch landrover people in london.
    like i have said before .clorinated water will clean thetanks and pipes its self thats why its there.

18. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I too use a nature pure water filter but I fitted the filter to get rid of the chlorine taste from the water. but we have always drank the water from the tank and even before we changed from boats to motor homes we drank the water from the boat tanks, is a bit difficult buying water when your out at sea!!

If you are worried about a new van and the tanks history, empty the tank, get your hang/arm inside is and wash away the sediment that may bi on the bottom, wash the tank with a hose from the tap with the tank drain out, refill the tank and pump a lot of water out of your taps for about 10 minuets, have all the taps open at the same time, refill you tank and you finished. Don'T add extra water conditioning tablets/liquids, they only add extra off tastes.

You may still get a taste of chlorine that is put there by the water company but it wont harm you, if you don't like it fit a filter, but not a cheap one.

Doug...

19. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

We have spent over half of the last 12 months away in the van, all over europe and the UK. I always drink the water, it always tastes ok and I have never steralised or cleaned the tank. The water in most of Europe is perfectly safe to drink. What isnt safe is the increasing trend to be so clinical about everything we eat and drink. Sell by dates, water, everything seems to have to be sanitised before we come into contact with it. Result? Reduced immune system efficiency. I have never been ill from drinking water anywhere. Now beer and wine, thats another story.

20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I agree Barry, most water in Europe is safe to drink. Though for young children or if your knocking on a bit, then i would recommend a filter every time. Straight from the filter the water is safer than any you might buy in a bottle, granted it costs £200 and then £50 a year but IMO it's a small price to pay for excellent tasting water and peace of mind.