Water tastes horrible (1 Viewer)

A

AnnTone

Deleted User
the water in our motorhome tastes horrible, even when boiled for tea. :cry: is this normal? Can we do anything about it?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We had this problem when we first got the m/home. We used to use a (new) garden hose to fill with as many do but changed this to a food grade hose. Also we put some purifying tablets in the tank for a day flushed out and re filled with the food grade hose...problem solved. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
A

AnnTone

Deleted User
Ahh I had not thought that it might be the hose we use giving it the bad taste, I will do some experiments, Where do you get foog grade hose?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Anne

we did the same as Ken, but in the end we fitted a nature pure water filter - a bit expensive but we will never have a motorhome without one again

stew

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
As well as the food grade hose treat yourself to a Nature pure water filter. These can be fitted in your m/home quite easily to just filter the water you drink. Its a case of just directing the water to another tap that you can position near your other kitchen taps. The rest of your water for showering, washing up etc will stay unfiltered. The nature pure is probably the best you can buy (not cheap) and gives you bottled water quality out of a tap. Its far more efficient at filtering the bugs etc than a normal kitchen water filter.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Ahh I had not thought that it might be the hose we use giving it the bad taste, I will do some experiments, Where do you get foog grade hose?

Almost any camping shop sold by the metre. We bought a very long one which we cut to make a short and a long hose they join together via snap on connectors and have proved very worth while. Not cheap but in the great scheme of things well worth it. ::bigsmile:

H

Huckleberry

Deleted User
Hi Anne,
Had the same problem in my van and after getting tired of keeping separate water containers bought a Nature Pure filter. It has worked very well for me and was the first extra that I put into my new van.
The only downside for me was lack of workspace for an extra tap, so I installed it in the kitchen cold water feed, it did slow the system down. However because my system did not have the extra tap it was easy to remove from my old van and I have now put it on the cold feed in the bathroom of my new van.
Rodger

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp

Cheap garden hoses are notorious for making water taste. clean the tank out with some purifying tabs and lots of clean water then buy the best hose you can afford, lay flat ones are best as they take up less room. I carry two of different lengths so that I can either join them together or use a different length singly, depends where your parked on site. I never use camp site hoses because you dont know whos used them or for what.

John S

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
Funster No
We have had caravans and MH's for years and never use the water for drinking as the tanks stagnate and I used to get upset stomachs. We use a filter kettle and filter jug and just fill them up from the nearest tap. No more upsets and good tasting water. A lot cheaper than a filter tap. If we are going where there is not tap we fill up a water container.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: We have always filled our tanks with ANY old bits of tubing. Having said that. We NEVER drink water from the tank. Always from bottles. :winky:

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

What does it taste like is a TCP type taste ?? as we had a kettle that made the water taste like if it had TCP in it , replaced the kettle and it went ? albeit it tasted like TCP even using bottled water

We are the same we never drink the water from the tank we always use bottled water ??

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
John. Put your hand in yer pocket and fit a Nature pure and you need never worry about what pond water your drinking ever again, the water that comes out is superb as others will confirm.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We only ever drink bottled water, whether out in the van or at home. If we run out, we have a Brita filter jug in the van and at home to use in emergencies.
We never, ever drink water directly from taps or from the motohome tank. Had too many dicky stomach episodes to go down that route again. Never fill up with hoses from the campsites, however convenient - have seen them used to flush toilet cassettes and being pushed right into a cassette (yuk):Eeek:

Must get around to fitting a filter on the m/h although it isn't critical as we only use bottled water if we can.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We don't have problems, Tony - I was just sharing what we do re drinking water. We are quite happy with using bottled water and see no need to change at this stage. It's just a different way of ensuring the drinking water is more satisfactory. And, no, we don't use Brita filters primarily - I'm sure lots of others are better, we just happen to have some perfectly functional Brita stuff which comes in handy as an emergency. Different strokes....:RollEyes:

2escapees

Deleted User
Why buy bottled water... all that plastic, expense and trouble fit a Nature Pure filter.

Try this link

Link Removed

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
John. Put your hand in yer pocket and fit a Nature pure and you need never worry about what pond water your drinking ever again, the water that comes out is superb as others will confirm.

:ROFLMAO: Our Newmar came with one already fitted. Another was fitted to the Ice Maker. Not my scene. Can't be bothered buying/changing filters every 5 minutes. It's quicker, easier and healthier using bottles. Think of the exercise we get carrying the bottles. In our Wild Camping days. We used to fetch ALL our water by Mountain bikes using 2x5Ltr bottles in each knapsack on our backs. We even used to fill the tanks that way. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back