Water Tank Purification Time

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PP Bear, Mar 17, 2016.

1. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Time to give the fresh water tank a deep clean, so poppet this into the fresh and it's now on soak, before I flush out tomorrow, then it's a simple case of popping the odd tablet to two in when required:)

Destroys organisms which causes legionalla, Cholera, Diarrhoea, Typhoid, Amoebic Dysentry and Salmonella, so nice clean water for drinking and brewing tea :)
    image.png image.png image.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I leave mine open and empty whilst stood up ,when in use fill once then drain and fill again.
    I've never had any probs or have the wife and kids,we drink the water from the tank.We give our water company swift payment and in return they slip some chlorine in our supply to keep us safe until the next bill comes through !

Vlad

• Like Like x 3
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We used Puriclean a few weeks ago to get rid of the old TCP taint.

It works a treat but after you drain it you will need to fill and pump out at least twice with clean water and even then you will probably still taste the Puriclean even in water boiled for tea.

I reckon it was well into the 3rd fill before I couldn't taste it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

I'm the same, so I'll fill and rinse a few times and then hopefully clear out any possible risk of taste :)

5. NickNic

Also if it's the little tubs that Halfords sell then one id good for 90 litres. I used one and a half tubs on our 120l tank.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. NickNic

It's not undrinkable. It just tastes a bit like a swimming pool (y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Never cleaned our tank out, we never leave it empty and ensure it is filled with fresh water at least every week if we aren't using it, but we are usually away in the van somewhere.
    We drink the water, so do the dogs, never had a problem.
    I guess if you don't use the van over the winter, any water left in the tank for long will start to acquire a bit of a tainted taste, so a few flushes with fresh water should sort it out.

8. NickNic

We were the same but ours acquired the TCP taint after a fill up somewhere in France last autumn - filled up from nearly empty and it tasted horrible immediately. It had probably half a dozen fill ups after that and the TCP taste was still there. In the end Puriclean was the only way I could get rid of it.

It's fine now though and I probably won't clean it again unless we get another taint (y)

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I do very much the same but flush through with a couple of Puriclean tabs if it's been stood for a couple of months over winter. Normally, though, we use it too often for there to be a problem.
    The first time we picked up a TCP taint was at a re-enactment event where little used pipes had been treated but not flushed through sufficiently. We have also picked it up from a water bowser at Stratford and from using Puriclean too often. That's why I now follow the practice as above.

We would love to install a Nature Pure but there is nowhere in the pipe run to the kitchen area that we can fit one without major surgery.