Water tank level indicator (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
So using the van for the very first time this week. Flushed tank as recommended, filled to about half full. Only did a bit of washing up, daughter used the loo once and it is now flashing on reserve. I thought these tanks held 100 litres? So I couldn't have used 50 litres on that stuff! Even filling the hot water tank. Could there be a problem with indicator or leak?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Water level indicators are notoriously inaccurate.. pay no heed..

when filling, it's full when it overflows.. when empty .. no water at tap.. :winky:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Jim's correct.

The first time we used Udo I did the same as you and only filled to half-full as far as our gauge was cocerned. We ran out of water not long afterwards.

I now fill-up completely all the time and it's surprising how much water is needed to get from half to full.

And once you run dry, you've the faff on bleeding the system. And that can use up a fair bit of water in itself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
dont forget the hot water heater will have taken a lot of water to fill up, and the would not have pumber it into the heater untill you switched the pump ON, probilby after you half filled up the tank.

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
My water tank gauge is very helpful. If its full it will show full, if its anything less than full it will show somewhere between empty and not quite full and be quite random about it.

Sometimes I swear its laughing at me.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Water tank

Yes agree, mine seems to have only 2 readings 30% and 70% so just fill up now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There are several different types.. the most common are float, and probes..

The float type are at best an indication and not reliable.. in the instrument industry it would be called 'poor repeatability'..

The tank on my RV had four probes on the side.. plus an earth... when covered, a small current passes through the water lighting up LEDS.. indicating. Empty, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, & Full
they are accurate and the repeatability is 100% .. Probes can also be found mounted on the top with different length legs reaching down into the water.

however .. the tank was an inverted L shape.. :Doh: the long leg went over the chassis rails.. the short leg reaching down into the locker, where the probes were fitted..
As the probes were regularly spaced, the volume indicated was wrong.. but you get used to it.. so when it said 1/2 full we knew it was on it's 'last leg' so to speak..

There are other more expensive systems .. but as I said earlier.. you know when it's empty or full.. it's not 'mission critical' unless you are on the Moon or crossing an arid desert.. . then I think you would be better to check physically than depend on an instrument.

When travelling, I would fill up at every opportunity ..extra weight has minimal effect on fuel economy.. better 0.125 less MPG than running out..

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Water tank indicator

As others have said, not worth stressing about. When I fill our tank (I always have at least 25% in before every trip) I open the hot taps as soon as I put the hosepipe in, because filling the boiler and getting the air out of the system takes a surprising % of your capacity.

That said, I never let the filler overflow when filling because water can (at least on our van) run back down the outside the pipe and collect in the inter-floor space on top of the tank.

And just to confirm how unreliable level indicator gauges are, last weekend when we were parked on a perfectly level pitch, the gauge showed 50% in the morning then went up to 75% by lunchtime! Pity it doesn't work on the fuel tank......::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back