Water tank filling

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Gollom, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Gollom

Gollom Funster

How do I know when the water tank is full on our Talbot Autosleeper Talisman GL?

I put hosepipe in and it seem to go for ever and did not suddenly gush out when full which is what I would have expected. In the end I stopped putting water in as surely it must be full. When we set off it seemed as if it had sprung a leak with water pouring out underneath. However when we arrived at site there seemed to be plenty of water, and it let me drain a lot of water off when we had finished for the weekend.

So, my supposition is that the pouring out was just that it had reached capacity. Two questions for Autosleeper owners please (and any other advise welcome!):

1. Does that sound correct?
    2. Is there a way I can tell when the tank is full without letting the excess pour out? (the level indicator of the panel does not seem to work as always says empty and pressing the button to calibrate des not seem to work)

Many thanks

2. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Hi Steve n Sue, I have an Autotrail and that too seems to take forever to fill and all I do is wait to hear the water coming out of the overflow / breather pipe underneath, which is what you experienced. I think that's the only way to ensure the tank is full. As far as I am aware the level sensors for the tanks aren't that accurate and only give readings in increments of 25% or so.
    Hope this helps,
    Lance ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Just keep filling. When full it will appear out of the overflow/breather and, if you carry on filling, out around your hosepipe. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Certainly with my previous A/S I just left it filling until water came out of the breather underneath and it was then full. Worked for me. Assume the new Pilote has a similar overflow system but never tested it as the FW tank is 135 litres......

• Like Like x 1
  5. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

On my Elddis the overflow drips onto the exhaust so when I hear the dribble on metal sound I know Im full plus a quick look underneath to confirm (y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

AS per the other replies, fill until it comes out the overflow. There are some systems that don't have an overflow in which case it just flows back out of the filler. Looks like you have an overflow as thats where it was coming out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 1Oll

1Oll Read Only Funster

There were two ways of knowing when the tank was full or close to being full on my Autosleeper Amethyst.
    If I listened carefully to the water running in via a hose, the filling noise would change to a higher tone as it become very near to the filler tube neck. When that happened I than folded the hose to cut off the supply.
    If left to run a few seconds after that the water would overflow from the holes on the top of the tank.
    My Amethyst had a wooden support under the tank so I tried to minimise the overflow, even though I believed it wouldn't do harm the vehicle. The tone changes on my Hymer as well!

8. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

I'm the same. Fill until I hear it trickling out of the overflow. That way I know I've run fresh water down the overflow pipe and system, removing dust, dirt or any little 8 legged beasties that may have made their way up the hose for an adventure :)

9. sedge

sedge Funster

Was an overflow underneath our Bessacar, but on the Pilote you have to wait till it comes out of the filler hole.