Water tank filling on site

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kennygd, Feb 18, 2010.

1. kennygd

kennygd Read Only Funster

:Smile:Starting to tour round the club sites from about the middle of March so I am very green, do I need to take a hose pipe to fill my water tank if the tap is near enough or do I need to buy one of those big barrel type things and fill it up, feel such a plonker asking a question like this:Eeek:
    Kennygd

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hose pipe is a lt easier than a water hog!

If you want to see a variety of those, if your passing us, pop in and have a look in the shop and don't forget to ask for the Funsters discount:thumb:

Peter

3. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Nobody's a bigger plonker than me. I barely know where to plug the hook up. As for changing gas cannisters .................. don't make me suicidal!

4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

If you use a hose dont forget to have several different tap connections/adapters

5. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

I carry 3 lengths of hose, because I have experienced different access to the site water supplies in the past. No need to unroll a 25 metre hose when you can get withing a metre & use a short hose.:Smile:

6. kennygd

kennygd Read Only Funster

:Smile:Hello Peter, I am coming down to you soon to buy a Planet 3 so I will speak to you then
    Kennygd:thumb:

7. teensvan

teensvan Read Only Funster

Hi.

We have 3 50 foot flat hoses we use. Also a plastic water can. We have managed for 5 years with this setup.

steve & ann. --------- teensvan.

8. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I use a 25ltr container and a submersable pump. Hose pipe maybe handy when on a site, but if you are on a rally field it is not always easy to get within hose pipe distance of a tap

Andy

9. nozzmoking

nozzmoking Read Only Funster

Hi Kenny,

It's worth grabbing a few of the standard Hoselock connectors. Many taps you'll come across are threaded, so the one in the pic below, (plastic or brass) just screws on and then your standard female connector will fit.

[​IMG]

No need to feel like a plonker. It's tough being a newbie, and we've all been there.

Enjoy your tour in March.

Paul

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

before connecting your hose to a site tap, give the tap a wipe with a disinfectant cloth or spray.

some inconsiderate campers have been known to rinse or part fill their toilet cassettes under the tap.....with the tap in the cassette so they dont get splashed :Eeek:

same applies if a hose is already fitted to the tap.....remove it and use your own hose....after cleaning the tap.:thumb:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and one of these for taps with no thread.....

ps..the one above comes in two sizes.

[​IMG]

12. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Hi Kennygd,

We have two hosepipes of different lenghts, and a small plastic water container. if near enough we use the hose if not I top the tank up every day with the water container and funnel.

The other thing is emptying the waste, for that if we are moving off we use the dump point if staying we use a waste hog about every two days.

Also I notice you are in Chatham, I am next door to you in Rochester so if you need any help give me a shout.:thumb:

13. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

You will gradualy decide what you are most comfortable with.

For us, a water container to fill at the tap and then pour into the tank, plus a bucket for emptying waste, are essential. Not all sites have motorhome service points and it can be dificult to position the van near taps etc (and if you are on a site for a while you may not want to move the van since it means tidying it up!)

We do carry a hose as well for the times we can get near a tap. As others have said, you need different ends and be aware of what other people may have used the taps for - having witnessed drinking water taps, particularly on aires, being used for loo cleaning. An advantage of the water container is that it does not have to touch the tap so is potentially more hygenic.

14. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Thanks :thumb:. I'm picking up my little Danbury Dynamic in March and the fresh water tank gets filled from inside the back door, with the sink/grey water outlet by the rear offside wheel. I was wondering whether a fresh water tank to fill, and a bucket to empty the waste, seemed a sensible start.

15. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Hey...you saved me asking a similar question on the beginner's forum...so thanks :thumb:

"The only stupid question is the one not asked."

16. wasp

wasp Funster

Depends on where you are going I have a hose in the locker permanently, but if going to a rally I take the aquaroll and use a submersible pump a waste hog to empty waste water.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: it saves you having to drive to the tap

17. JayDee

JayDee Funster

We have 2 x 15 metres and 1 x 7 metres of hose with as many different fitting sizes that I've been able to find. We also have an 8 litre water carrier which we can top up with using a funnel.
    For emptying the waste we have a 10 metre length of crinkly hose with a screw connector that fits on to the waste dump outlet plus about 5 metres of narrower crinkly hose that will extend the 10 metre length just in case. We sometimes bucket off a few 10s of litres of waste if we don't have a suitable drain near by - saves moving.
    We only travel with about 25 litres of FW in the tank and try to empty the waste water before hitting the road. Also empty the loo (if it's over half full) This can save something like 100 to 150 kgs on payload (about the same weight as me and the missus put together).

John

18. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Funny how,when I'm trying to sort a problem,a post seems to pop up on here about a similar subject.:Smile:
    I carry 2 hoses-one of 5mtrs and one of 15mtrs-each has a Female connector on each end and one end has a nozzle and the other has a tap connector (both of these have male connectors) so,simples. Yesterday I was searching for a connector with a male connection on each side to make joining hoses together a quick operation-neither our local garden centre or Halfrauds had such a thing,nor could I find one on the Hozelock website.
    So,does one exsist ? How do you join hoses together without removing one adaptor off each and putting in 'hose joint' ?

Our M/H is of modest size and storage space is at a premium-so aqua rolls etc are a no-no,but being small it's no hassle to move-it's all a compromise eh :Rofl1:

It might be worth pointing out that EHU leads are in a similar league to hoses,in that it is a good idea to carry different lengths to avoid having a long length of uncoiled lead spread all around the M/H if the Hook-up point is only just behind you :BigGrin:

MIke.

19. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I have now discovered Double Male connector 2291-however it seems to have a high desirability factor and does not stay long on shelves :BigGrin: Must be Darksiders cornering the market.

Mike.

20. tonybrightspark

tonybrightspark Read Only Funster

Thats Medway covered I'm in Gillingham

tonybrightspark