Water tank, best way to keep water clean?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by veevee, May 2, 2012.

1. veevee

veevee Funster

We last used a camper in anger about 7 or 8 years ago. Back then we would fill up with water and pop a purifier tablet into the tank.

What is the current thinking on keeping drinking water usable, is it still tablets?

If so is one type better than another?

Thanks

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

yep !!! that will do it.

once a year empty it out and use a solution of Milton fluid...the baby bottle steriliser.

draw water through the taps and leave a couple of hours, drain and flush through.

or just buy a decent water filter.

Naturepure filters

you can drink ditch water once passed though these filters :thumb:

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi having worked for the water authority i asked all these questions to the scientists i met. there view was if you fill with chlorinated tap water leave it for a day or so .drain and refill .thats it . try to keep with tap water thats treated . . if you do use untreated water you can add tablets . etc .even iodine works but tastes . i fill all over the place when away . still drink it . boil water if suspect. i do have a birkenfeld system made by doulton in the trailer but only use it if river water etc as been put in the tank. or someone as a dickie stomach. i would drain and fill with treated water at the earliest oportunity.
    also have small hand pump filters if out on trips and run out of water we are carrying in rucksacks .
    but again .drop silver into your water billie and that helps . silver is the greatest purifier of all.
    water authorities now use a aluminium sulphate based activator in purifying water. i,m sure you all know about camelford down here .
    no i wasnt the driver but have removed the sludge waste from that depot.
    the doulton filter i use as a silver inlay to purify the water as well as a ceramic washable filter ..

4. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

In days of old when I went camping, a silver sixpence in the water can kept it fresh. That was a tip from my old Dad from his days in the Army. If I didn't think I'd lose them when I flushed the tank I'd put a handful of sixpences down the filler tube now.

Bryan

• Like Like x 1
  5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thats why cowboys shake their water containers . some would have a silver dollar in them some not . dont drink out of the ones without.

6. Terry

Terry Funster

We /I use bleach (Milton is a mild bleach )pour half a mug full into tank fill with water -purge through taps shower loo etc leave for an hour or two then flush out with fresh water a couple of times :thumb:Or you could spend money on Puraclean tabs etc :Wink:
    terry

7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Quite surprised to find you can buy silver sixpences (up to 1930s) for a couple of quid. I thought they'd be more than that.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

but how much are silver joe,ys they should be half that price ,ha ha.

9. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

What's a sixpence:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. veevee

veevee Funster

Well the romantic option is the most appealing, a silver dollar or a few sixpences.

Dane, a sixpence was a fortune to a child in the 1950's, a pot of gold almost...

Just a big thanks to all, we are back on track.

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

purely based on the post above, I would be inclined to replace the pipework if its that old. Particularly the old plastic used before about 5 years ago (possibly slightly longer) the pipes degrade over time leaching chemicals into the water. these are chemicals are carcenogenic and were basically banned for use with pottable water. much the same reason why you dont use a garden hose for drinking water.

modern semi rigid pipes and push fit connectors make the job simple and its fairly inexpensive.

then sterilise the system as mentioned, either with a bleach or citric acid based cleaner used in home brewing. much cheaper than the tablets etc

12. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

Thyroxine

Don't use iodine based filters, if someone who is likely to drink it has thyroid problems. I've just given my tank the Milton treatment as it had been standing for several months before I bought it. I've also bought one of the little submersible pumps so I can fill up from streams if we get up to Scotland later in the year as planned.

• Like Like x 1
  13. veevee

veevee Funster

Thanks for your input TheBig1, but I ddn't explain that very well.

We sold our previous MH years ago and have just bought another which was in use until last summer. As it's about 8 months on we will sterilise the system as recommended before filling for camping.

Thanks

14. aba

aba

so thats why tea tastes better in a china cup stirred with a silver spoon:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  15. sedge

sedge Funster

The cost of a matching pair of Mars Bars, the day sweets came off ration!

16. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Two matching Mars Bars for sixpence:Doh:
    Are you sure your not getting your Snickers in a twist:Rofl1::Rofl1:
    G

17. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

18. rangitira

rangitira Funster

You could try Draining the Tank/ System, and drying the tank out with a soft cloth everytime you come home from a trip, Works for me