Water steriliser (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We generally put a couple of sterilising tablets into the water tank when filling up abroad. Not because of the water quality but because of the sometimes dubious habits of tap users abroad. I've been reading about the effect of bleach on stainless steel on here and decided to check the tablets we use. These appear to be Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate (400mg). Reading up on this, it appears to be less harmful to stainless than ordinary bleach (Sodium hypochlorite). At least at the dilution levels the tests were performed at(1:10 and 1:50). I have no idea what 800mg of Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate disolved in 100L of water would be but I would guess considerably lower concentrations.

Any of you chemists out there have any views? Principly about whether it is safe to leave it in the boiler for a few weeks at the concentration levels I am using.? Lets not start up about whether water needs to be "sanitised". Thats a personal choice.

To play safe I'm now emptying the system and flushing it through before we go away next week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back