Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
My van has been parked for about 4 weeks. I ran the taps tonight and the water coming out of the hot water taps smells of bad eggs. Will it be OK as long as I run it for a while and is this normal?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

The smell is hydrogen sulfide, caused by the water reacting with the metallic elements in your water system.This is normal if you don't drain the water after your last outing.

I'd fully drain and rinse the system out thoroughly before using the water.

I tend to take a big plastic container of water, freshly drawn from the tap, and run it through a filter jug for drinking.

Washing water is run from the on-board tanks.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
My van has been parked for about 4 weeks. I ran the taps tonight and the water coming out of the hot water taps smells of bad eggs. Will it be OK as long as I run it for a while and is this normal?

It's always a good idea to drain the FW tanks down when you get home, then before you set out again fill them up again and flush the system through and charge your water heater (if that's how your system works:Smile:). We usually travel with less than half a tank of water to save payload and have a water carrier with a gallon or so in it for making coffee and tea en route. We rarely drink the water from the tank - despite filtering it, it still has a chlorine-like taste; don't know why.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

itexuk

Free Member
Apr 3, 2008
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat x250
Exp
As above.
I'd fully drain and rinse the system out thoroughly and then add AQUA CLEAN TABS
They are water purifying tablets, you can get them at any good camping outlet.
It says they guard against illness caused by contaminated water. Legionllas, Cholera, Typhoid, Amoebic Dysentry and Salmonella. Used them for years and NEVER had a funny tummy.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: We have always used water in our on-board tanks for washing and toilet. We carry fresh drinking water in bottles. :winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We empty the tanks after every trip and fill them up with fresh water immediatley before a trip.

We wash and drink from the water in the tanks.

Having said that all of the water that we drink is boiled. I doubt that I would drink water direcley from the tank.

We havent yet been abroad but I would imagine that you would have to buy bottled water for drinking.

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Gosh, I've never drained the fresh water tanks and never noticed a smell from the fresh water. We've a Kinetico water filter (similar to Aqua Pure but half the price) installed for drinking water.
Now the grey water tank, boy, can that whiff:roflmto: When we first started we had no idea what was causing it. We arrived at Calais docks and were boarded for a security inspection. Poor chap took one sniff and got straight off again:ROFLMAO:

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
E

euro

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
Thanks for the tips. The cold water smells fine, It's only the hot that had the eggy smell to it.

I have ran it for a few mins and now it smells OK so maybe it was the water that was standing in the Carver? Anyway, I will heed the popular advice not to drink the on board water :Smile:

Thanks again to all :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back