Water seeping under bathroom wall

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Rooky Vanner, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

Help needed
    We have an Elddis 140 and had our maiden voyage last week. Apart from not realising there was an overflow on the water tank, standing there for ten minutes and realising there was a small lake developing around me, we have a lot of water seeping under the shower room wall?? I guess a pipe has come off at the back of the panelling? is it an easy fix for a fair DIY enthusiast with average knowledge? some water coming from tap but most escaping i feel...
    Great few days last week. Engine management light came on on the way home, only a sensor me thinks. Oh and a cupboard door handle came off, Oh and with temp of minus 4 we thought the heating was poor until we found a pipe had come off and I burnt my had on a boot. Lovely warm cupboard. I wont mention the drive from Filey to Sutton on Sea on the 19th to find the CC site opened on the 20th.....
    Time spent on recconaisance is seldom wasted ehh.
    We loved every minute of it having said that and just need advice on the water feature under the shower room wall?
    Many thanks

• Like Like x 2
  2. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Well that all sounds like fun! That's one thing about this motorhoming lark - never a dull moment :D
    I'm completely un-techie so can't help with any of your questions, sorry, but you'll soon have lots of information & advice coming your way from the good guys on here. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

If you bought your MH from a dealer then take it back for them to fix the water seepage problem - and the engine warning light!

4. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

We had wet moments do they count? Just got dried out and my wife kicked the dogs water over

• Like Like x 5
  5. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

Hmm, we bought it private from a very nice genuine man. I dont think it was anyones fault, it is on an 08 plate and just needs sorting....

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As previous post..
    but if not, is there an access panel behind the shower..? If not, the only way to find the leak is to get the mixer tap off and have a look behind.. probably just a loose hose connection.

• Like Like x 1
  7. calion

calion

Hope its nothing too serious :(

8. berni109

berni109 Funster

Hi, as already mentioned I suspect its around the mixer tap especially if not getting full flow.
    Mine got blown apart by ice. Hopefully its just blown a pipe off! But you should be able to tell if its on the feed side because the pump will keep running or cycling if loose joint. Should be simple to remove the tap but doNT let any pipes fall down into the panel cavity.
    If its not the tap suspect the drain or seal around the tray may even be a hairline crack in the tray
    Hth

9. ramsthom

ramsthom Funster

I had a Compass 140 a few years ago and if I remember it has a pressurised water system so if there was a leak from a hose or tap you would here the pump switching on periodically.
    The hoses are a push fit into the base of the tap and sometimes pop out causing a leak ( happened to me ). If this is the case they need to be aligned correctly when pushed back in.
    Also check the fresh water filling hose where it goes through the floor into the tank. Its a wire reinforced hose and can split easily causing a leak when filling the tank. Hope this helps.

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Apart from flooding, the door and the engine management light.

• Like Like x 2
  11. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Get your screwdrivers out and try and find the access to the pipes , if you can't sort it yourself , call an independent engineer out , unless somebody else can recommend a trustworthy dealer in your area . good luck .

12. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I see your north notts, try this guy, Ive used him in the past

Bawtry Caravan Services
    • Tel: 01302 246608
    • Mob: 07753 353100
    1 Darnley House, West St, Misson, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN10 6DX

Bawtry Caravan Services is a certified Approved Workshop Scheme independent business,and a member of the Mobile Caravan Engineers Association.

13. pops

pops Funster

Hi, is your fresh water tank inside and near the bathroom and when you overfilled it, water may have leaked out the top cap or filler pipe split.

14. wingman

wingman Funster

Hi Rooky. Although you made it sound humorous, I'm sorry to hear about your plight. I daresay at the end of the day, you may have to remove a shower wall panel? Otherwise, to tackle it through a small hole will be like the gynaecologist trying to wallpaper his house through the letter box! :D

It will probably need drying out anyway. I was tempted to tell you to put a push-fit stop-end on the pipes coming into the shower to prevent further damage, but I guess that would also cut the water to the basin???

You may have to get a dealer/tradesman to have a look.

As far as the engine management light goes, it's probably just the diesel particulate filter sooted up after inactivity before sale. Should clear itself with a decent run above 60 mph.

Let us know how you get on.
    James

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Got a 140, Have you looked in at the boiler which is under hatch in the wardrobe, some pipes in there. Was this water leak created just when you were trying to fill, or when you used Tap in the washroom, or used the shower ? emptying sink ? all the pipes are as said push fit type,
    Where is it emerging from, under the wall of the washroom door ? or behind the drivers seat wall ?

My guess is if it was a pipe connection then the pump would run until the tank was empty !!??
    So the other guess that it is something to do with your filler pipe may be an answer. Or did you fill with a 2" pipe going full bore and somehow overspilled/burst the pipe ?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  16. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

Sorry I forgot to mention, who is also very poorly with cancer

17. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

hi, thank you for your reply. The tank is in fact underneath the van floor and central

18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That's sad and I would not have commented had you said that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

Hi
    The leak is not under the boiler but seeping under the floor adjacent to the sink. It started when we started to pump, fine before that with tank full, pressure lowish to kitchen but even worse in bathroom sink tap if that helps...Thankyou fro helping I need all the help I can get!!!

20. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

I am sorry but it is not usually something I would discuss on a forum but thought it was justified in this case.

• Like Like x 3