barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Hi folks,being a complete novice I'm finding "The Trucks" many facilities somewhat baffling.Take the plumbing,I've had the old girl for 4 months and have tried a couple of times to get water from tank via pump and tap.I switch on pump,which starts to hum,hear water running somewhere & discover it running down from supply pipe(s) under sink into bottom of cupboard.This causes me much distress,does it need venting?Also,filled tank up and added sterilising fluid(getting technicle),but can find no way of emptying fresh tank either.I hope you lot are VERY patient! Yours in anticipation.Chris,the one fingered typist.:Eeek:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
1st it seems like a break in the supply pipe can you take a picture of it
and the 2nd 1 is it depends on you mh what make it is but somewhere there will be a drain off plug mine is by the boiler under the bed and another 1 in a side panel by my front seats again make and model will help

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As ukbill has suggested re the tank drain plug...

Did you leave any water in the system over the cold winter... ?

By the sound of it you may have if you couldn`t find the drain plug, in which case you may have a frost split pipe under the sink... or the flexi pipe may have popped off the Faucet (Posh word for Tap) under the sink..

That would be my first port of call to fix that leak.... and have a look on the outside near where the water tank is, may be a drain off tap just under there..

You need to get it sorted before you end up with a rotten soggy floor, water spreads quickly... :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
1 for draining tank my last 2 vans have had a plug (just like the one in the sink) in the bottom of the tank, if you unscrew the big red cover on the top of the tank and look/feel down to the bottom you should find it.
2 leaking tap/pipework if you can see or feel where the water is leaking from and it is a split pipe/loose connection it is fairly easy to replace or repair if it is the actual tap that is damaged due to frost/ice then you will probably need to replace the tap, there is every type of tap for sale on the internet you should have no trouble locating a suitable one

hope this helps

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Water plumbing

Thanx folks,will persevere,I gleaned a bit of info 'bout it's history from a guy who had owned it for the previous 7 years to October last.He had only done 6000 miles in that time.I thought it was a pro conversion it's that good.However he bought it from the chap who had built it over a two year period.It had some water in and has these last four months.Will investigate further and keep you posted.I suppose as a last resort I could always contact him again but don't like to impose.To the uninitiated,with these tin tents,it's like hurding cats!:shout:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My water tank drain tap is a bit pathetic, its just a valve in a bit of plastic pipe that totally fails to do anything significant whether open or closed. I drain my tank via the pump, but do not do this till you've found your leak of course.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Water plumbing

Thanks for response Reallyretired.News update re leak,all it was the supply pipe was detached from hot tap.Don't know how or why but there you go.Like you,I switched pump on and drained the tank thru kitchen/wash room taps.What I don't have in cannot leak out!:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
There's always a bit of water left in the tank, get in there with a clean tea towel and mop it out, in winter always drain, mop, and leave all taps open:thumb: This stops water in pipes freezing. Mopping the residue water from your tank prevents all sorts of heebbie gribbees breeding, and you and yours having to deal with the "squirts":thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I switched pump on and drained the tank thru kitchen/wash room taps.What I don't have in cannot leak out!:thumb:

But the pipes have water in them - so, stage two blow down anything you can, a shower is easy, to get the water out of the taps/pipes.

My shower tap blew apart because I failed to do this.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back