Water Pump

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by grymbo, Jun 11, 2014.

1. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Hi

My son has only today returned from a weeks holiday in my Avantgarde 150 and apparently our internal water pump has packed in :Doh: . Making a noise last night but not operating very well. Not a peep from it this morning so I'm gathering has packed in. I have a feeling this is not an uncommon problem and hoping for advice from one of you guys on how I might repair/replace the pump.

Grymbo

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi you can buy a kit or take the easy way out and buy a new pump from http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/ for about £55 or they may have some refurbs for around £40 ish you have to ask
    terry

3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Buy pump, drain water, remove old pump, install new pump, fill with water?

:BigGrin::BigGrin:

4. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I think the Avant Garde uses a submersible pump inside the tank, if so then there is n repair kit available. First check the fuse, then with a digital multimeter check for voltage and earth on the two wires to the pump with a tap switched on (sub pumps are almost always operated via microswitches in the taps). If there is 12 volts on one wire and a good earth on the other then its a fair bet the pump is FUBAR. You probably don't even need to drain the tank to replace the pump as there is almost certainly an access in the top of it. Remove access cap, furcle round inside till you find the pump and withdraw it through the access, disconnect electrically and the outlet hose. Reconnect the new pump in reverse order and drop it back into the tank, replace the access cap and test.

D.

• Like Like x 3
  5. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Hi Dave.

At the risk of sounding dense (new to this), where would I purchase a new pump and is a generic devise or am I looking for something specific?

Grymbo

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

7. gazza280

gazza280 Read Only Funster

Hi

What you described is exactly the same thing that was happening to me about four months ago.
    The pump was making noises and I left it thinking that the noises would stop because there was, what I thought, air in the system. Suddenly it stopped working was not pumping water it seemed like there was almost no suction coming from the pump.

I checked out new pumps but before I committed myself to spending a large amount of money, I checked it again. There was a screw on the top of the main unit that was loose.
    I tightened all the visible screws and it sprang into action straight away.
    I haven't had a problem with it since. Even the pressure was better.

water pump.JPG
    The picture shows my pump but most pumps will have screws in about same places.

Its worth a try

Hope it helps
    Gary

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  8. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

As usual great advice. Many thanks to all who advised.

Cheers

grymbo :thumb: