Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Hi all, hope someone can advice?
After draining down water tank and boiler though winter ( see my other thread ) I managed to get pump working, (gave it a few wacks with a hammer) so water runs out of both hot and cold taps.
My question is after turning pump switch on at control panel should the pump only make a noise pumping when taps are on or will it make pumping noise all the time the pump switch on control panel is turned on?
Van is a 1999 Bessacarr E600
Thanks in advance
Pete

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
normally water pumps only pump when the taps are on or there is not enough water in tank or there is a leak.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Boiler takes around 11 litres so will take a minute or so to fill. Check the automatic anti frost drain valve hasn't opened although if it has you'll get water draining from underneath. Failing that you're either losing pressure somewhere or the pump pressure switch may be stuck. If you can get at it a sharp tap (no don't belt it!) on the pump housing might free it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
It could be the tap that is leaking causing problem, maybe there is another leak? Are all connections OK as air can also cause pump to operate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Boiler takes around 11 litres so will take a minute or so to fill. Check the automatic anti frost drain valve hasn't opened although if it has you'll get water draining from underneath. Failing that you're either losing pressure somewhere or the pump pressure switch may be stuck. If you can get at it a sharp tap (no don't belt it!) on the pump housing might free it.
Will give it a sharp tap tomorrow and see if it helps
It could be the tap that is leaking causing problem, maybe there is another leak? Are all connections OK as air can also cause pump to operate.
Followed as best i could the route of hoses from tank to boiler, no leak. All connections seemed good unless it's leaking where it runs under fridge or where i can't see under floor:(

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
mine does the same from time to time runs with a slightly different sound no leaks full of water i suspect its a diaphram problem but im waiting for it to fail and it hasnt in 3 years we just switch of and switch on again

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Check the clear plasic bowl on top of the pump in case it is cracked your enthusiastic fix may have dammaged it!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Many thanks to all for the help i now have both hot and cold running water..........BUT
I have a leak somewhere around boiler. I have felt under and around boiler inside van and is dry, but there is dripping water outside underneath where boiler is. It's only dripping when water heater is on.
If its dry around boiler inside van ( i can get my hand under boiler) how is it wet outside van?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If its dry around boiler inside van ( i can get my hand under boiler) how is it wet outside van?
That sounds like the pressure relief valve is leaking.
It should only allow water out if the boiler overheats and internal pressure exceeds the valves pre set pressure.
Not a servicable item so needs renewing.

Theres a chance it could be the boiler/water tank drain valve...possibly more chance...isnt closing.
But that would leak whether the boiler was on or not as long as the pump was turned on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Thanks @pappajohn don't think it's the water tank drain valve as it's on the other side of van. I did check the screw plug thingy to empty water from boiler was up tight and no water coming from there so looks like new boiler.
Any ideas best place to buy one?
Pete

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you look on here,page 11 ,top right item no; 21 it shows the right angled connector with its vent pipe that attaches pipe to how water outlet that @pappajohn was describing. At least you know what it looks like & you just need the correct one for the boiler that you have .

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all, hope someone can advice?
After draining down water tank and boiler though winter ( see my other thread ) I managed to get pump working, (gave it a few wacks with a hammer) so water runs out of both hot and cold taps.
My question is after turning pump switch on at control panel should the pump only make a noise pumping when taps are on or will it make pumping noise all the time the pump switch on control panel is turned on?
Van is a 1999 Bessacarr E600
Thanks in advance
Pete

Try opening taps whilst pump running, it may be an air lock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Well i think i have found the problem! The waters coming from the air valve thing above the boiler drain plug outside the van and running down the side and under van.
20160314_162115.jpg

And the hotter the water gets the quicker it comes out. I hope this is all thats wrong!:cautious:
I shall buy a new valve fit it and see:unsure:
If i can get one?

Oh! just had a thought is that the pressure valve that @pappajohn and @gus-lopez are talking about?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Brightonian just a thought, after you refilled tank and put pump on did you open all sets of taps ie hot and cold on each outlet 1 after each other to get all air out of system. this does take a while for the hot outlets as you have to remove all the air from the water heater. I've known the relief valve to blow because there is still air in the boiler. Luke

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brightonian

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
Hi Brightonian just a thought, after you refilled tank and put pump on did you open all sets of taps ie hot and cold on each outlet 1 after each other to get all air out of system. this does take a while for the hot outlets as you have to remove all the air from the water heater. I've known the relief valve to blow because there is still air in the boiler. Luke
I did let them run but only for a few seconds. Water flowed quite fast and full out of taps, will try again tomorrow and let taps run for longer.
PS do you think that maybe i should just buy a new relief valve i guess it won't cost a lot?

Upvote 0

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi brightonian, yes try a new relief valve, they are readily available on ebay approx £10. Search either Carver or Truma relief valve. Let us know if all is well after new valve. Luke

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back