Water pump

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by simbadog, Aug 26, 2015.

1. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Just recently, when we turn on a tap & the water pump runs, it causes the TV to turn off, due I guess to a sudden power drain? it also dims the lights for a millisecond. Can't remember it ever happening before, suggestions please? Thanks o_O

2. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

What you describe is caused by the battery voltage not holding up. This will happen if your battery is close to being discharged or (for example) a poor connection at either battery terminal. Does it still happen when on EHU?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I've just had the same problem with exactly the same symptoms. On closer inspection a white plastic multi- connector close to one of the hab batteries was getting hot when any substantial load was applied. (The Eberspacher on start-up, requires quite a few amps.) I suspect the connector had become loose over time. Fortunately I had a similar spare connector in the garage. Replaced and now it appears fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

Best thing to do is put a voltage test on battery and as stated check all connections. Bad connections cause heat in the wiring and heat in the wrong place in the van can be a bad bad thing. A charged battery should be about 12.7 to 13.5 after charging and letting it settle for a couple of hours. Battery flat at 12.0>1 volts.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan

• Like Like x 1
  5. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

It could also be the water pump motor being on the way out drawing a lot of power. Mind you poor connections is probably the most likely although one weird one I have had was a partly blown fuse which could not carry the big current.

• Like Like x 1
  6. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Thank you :) Fitted new leisure battery & checked all connections, will monitor & report back!