Water pump won't stop running. (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Through a very kind Funster I took the motorhome to a lovely man near Limoges yesterday. He sorted a couple of things for me and changed the gas over to French.

However, when we filled it with water and switched the pump on, it wouldn't switch off. Just kept running even when we turned taps off. Phoned the dealer where I bought it and they said it could be small leak that makes the pump think it still has to keep running--but I can't see any leaks from taps, pipes under the worktop, under the bathroom basin.

I have to find someone here who can look at it--not easy in the middle of nowhere (or so it seems at times) Just wondered if anyone had any ideas of what it might do, so that if I find someone and they start to tell me "stuff" I might be able to make sense of what they are saying.

Sorry--does this make sense?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Internal pump leak such as diaphragm may cause this problem so no leaks to see as such. Make and mode of pump may help others to help you
Geo

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It would also be useful to know whether the pump runs continuously or cycles on and off. If it runs continuously and there is a leak then it is a big leak then there will be lots of water so you should be able to find it. It may well be a fault with the pump as Geo says in which case it would be worthwhile replacing it. Some of them can be serviced but if you have to pay someone to do it then it may be cheaper just to replace it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Internal pump leak such as diaphragm may cause this problem so no leaks to see as such. Make and mode of pump may help others to help you
Geo

Thanks, The pump just runs constantly--doesn't stop or pause and restart.

It says Superflow 126 PRO on it. Does that help at all?

I can't see any water leaking anywhere at all and there was none yesterday either.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It could well be the pressure sensing switch stuck or faulty, give the pump a tap with a hammer (not too hard!)

Temporarily you can switch it off by removing a lead

Peter

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'll try the hammer--gently, wrapped in a towel I think.

[HI]Temporarily you can switch it off by removing a lead[/HI] Do you mean switch off the pump or the sensor?

There is water in the tank. & can't see any leaking in or outside m/home.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'll try the hammer--gently, wrapped in a towel I think.
[HI]Temporarily you can switch it off by removing a lead[/HI] Do you mean switch off the pump or the sensor?

If you have a separate switch for the pump, use that.

The pressure switch is on the end of the pump where the wires are connected, you may be able to adjust it, (cant remember!)

Peter

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Is there water coming out of the taps ?? has all the air been bled out of the system?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Right then :Smile:IF after tapping with hammer fails,next is adjust pressure switch and if that fails you have two choices get a repair kit (quite cheap) or fit a new pump :thumb:
Once you remove the pump get the hammer again and smash it to bits (feels good ::bigsmile:)
terry

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks. It's under warranty still from purchase of van. Will try the hammer tapping later and see what happens.
You've all given me plenty of clues and alternatives so hopefully it'll be fixed/replaced if necessary soon.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:Doh::Doh::Doh: Why did you not say it was under warranty ::bigsmile: HOPE the tapping hammer works that way you don't have to go back to dealers :thumb:
terry

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if its not on a pressurised system one of the switches under one of the taps could be faulty.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
if its not on a pressurised system one of the switches under one of the taps could be faulty.

I agree, does sound like a faulty microswitch could be to blame. If they do not go 'off' fully, the tap will stop running water, but the pump will continue, even if no water is coming through. Cost about 30p.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The Sureflow should be used on a pressurised system :thumb: When did you last buy micro switches ?The last I bought about 7 /8 yrs ago were around 4 quid ::bigsmile:
just looked on ebay £3.50 each :winky:
terry

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks for all your suggestions. Now managed to find mechanic who has come out to the house (going to motorhome place recommended involves 2 and a half hour drive each way) he thinks it is a loose connection or possible a dodgy switch. But he can fix it!!!:Smile:

It's still under warranty but don't really want to drive from Dordogne to Southampton if I can avoid it.

And I so wish I had a fraction of your mechanical knowledge.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for all your suggestions. Now managed to find mechanic who has come out to the house (going to motorhome place recommended involves 2 and a half hour drive each way) he thinks it is a loose connection or possible a dodgy switch. But he can fix it!!!:Smile:

It's still under warranty but don't really want to drive from Dordogne to Southampton if I can avoid it.

And I so wish I had a fraction of your mechanical knowledge.

Be careful what you wish for.
My mechanical knowledge gets me into far deeper s**t, than your lack of it ever will:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The Sureflow should be used on a pressurised system :thumb: When did you last buy micro switches ?The last I bought about 7 /8 yrs ago were around 4 quid ::bigsmile:
just looked on ebay £3.50 each :winky:
terry

I only paid 30p last year - either they messed up, or I am going to start selling them on Ebay! :ROFLMAO:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
how long has it been running?

on the first fill up of the year (from dain down) it takes a while for the hot water tank to fill , are you sure its not just that? it could take up to ten minuettes runnig

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
how long has it been running?

on the first fill up of the year (from dain down) it takes a while for the hot water tank to fill , are you sure its not just that? it could take up to ten minuettes runnig

It was going for more like half an hour. There's a wire that seems loose and when Mechanic Man wiggled that it stopped. He said something about a microswitch (?) that might need changing. He reckons it's fixable quite easily so hopefully be on my way soon.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
It was going for more like half an hour. There's a wire that seems loose and when Mechanic Man wiggled that it stopped. He said something about a microswitch (?) that might need changing. He reckons it's fixable quite easily so hopefully be on my way soon.

yes 1/2 a hour is too long to just be filling up the hwt, I hope its just the ms

Mar 27, 2016
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 408
Exp
Since 2016
Brilliant thread - just fixed ours. We were panicking in case there was a real problem, wiggled the wires shook the pump and we are now very happy campers again

Angel Taskovski

Free Member
Apr 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV Hi Top Alcove
Exp
I am newbie
I have same pump. Can someone explain what is micro switch under tap? or post a photo of it? What is role of this microswich?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have same pump. Can someone explain what is micro switch under tap? or post a photo of it? What is role of this microswich?
Basically you have two ways of controlling the pump,
1/ with a pressure switch on the pump it knows when a tap opens and the pressure in the system drops so it switches the pump on until the pressure builds up again.

2/ the other way is to have a switch in each tap that switches the pump on when it opens, you can tell if you have this type as there will be wires under the tap as well as water pipes.

Martin

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I had same problem as we arrived in France. Traced to faulty micro switch in pump. Sometimes didn't work at all. Pulled wires from switch and joined them (used a 10 amp fuse as a link (y)) then switched pump on and off from panel. .
Located switch on ebay, paid, changed delivery to my friend and he delivered to me in France a couple of weeks later. Installed switch in 10 minutes. Ensure pump off and taps open.

IMG_1390[1].PNG

Angel Taskovski

Free Member
Apr 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV Hi Top Alcove
Exp
I am newbie
Basically you have two ways of controlling the pump,
1/ with a pressure switch on the pump it knows when a tap opens and the pressure in the system drops so it switches the pump on until the pressure builds up again.

2/ the other way is to have a switch in each tap that switches the pump on when it opens, you can tell if you have this type as there will be wires under the tap as well as water pipes.

Martin
Thank you a lot for your advice. I checked seams like there are no wires under sink tap. Tomorrow i will check if it was all about oxidated connections on pressure swich. Visually they look oxidated and tomorrow i plan to clean them and connect pump again.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thank you a lot for your advice. I checked seams like there are no wires under sink tap. Tomorrow i will check if it was all about oxidated connections on pressure swich. Visually they look oxidated and tomorrow i plan to clean them and connect pump again.
That sounds like a plan(y)

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back