water pump unwanted wake up call

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by igcw9170, Sep 1, 2010.

1. igcw9170

igcw9170 Read Only Funster

Hi,

I have just returned from Beziers in my Ci Riviera 181, very hot, got there and back with no problems. There is one annoying niggle though, the water pump seems to have got into a habit of springing into life every couple of hours for a couple of seconds, just long enough to wake you up. I think this is a new occurance as i'm sure I would have noticed it before.
    Does anyone know if there is something obvious that I am or am not doing or a way to rectify it?

cheers,
    igcw9170.

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

caused by a drop in pressure in the system, in short you have a leak.

3. igcw9170

without wanting to sound like an idiot, in the pump or the tank? havent noticed any pool of water on the floor.

4. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Check the connections to the pump. My CI was the same until I tightened them up. Water was running out via the chassis on my Mizar :Smile:

5. BobT

BobT Trader - Tour Operator

Hi IGCW,
    The leak could be anywhere. The fact that you cannot see any water, and that the pump is "cycling" every 2 hours or so indicates that it is a very small leak. Short term solution is to turn the pump off at the control panel and only turn it on when you need water. Long term solution is to find it!

good luck
    BobT

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

basically anywhere in the systema dripping tap may not be noticed but over a period of time will lower the pressure sufficient for the pump to kick in, clean the filter in the pump pressure valve. then check all taps for leakage. Don't forget the waterheater. all pipe connections in case one can be tightened
    leak is between the pump and taps, not back to the tank.

7. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

...and, any external shower, or any 'tap' throughout the van?

I forgot to purge ours once after a winter empty and the pump ran on, or cycled now and again until the penny dropped, and I'd been in every cupboard with a torch for half an hour looking for the leak:Doh:

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

When the pressure reaches its preset value, the pump switches off and the water is prevented from running back into the tank by a non-return valve, sometimes separate but usually part of the pump. If there is no leakage anywhere (check for a dripping tap) then it could be that the valve(s) are leaking slightly letting water backflow to the tank.
    Solution may be a new pump (expensive) or if it otherwise OK just turn it off at night.:RollEyes:

9. Colin and Jaen Andrews

Colin and Jaen Andrews Read Only Funster

water leak

Hi
    Yep a leak - we had same problem with pump and sort of ignored it then no hot water - leak was near hot water gas jet - very slow - but stopped jet eventually - sorted now thanks to Motorhome Medics:thumb: in our area but have learnt never to ignore water pump when it goes on its own.:Doh:

Cheers
    Jaen

10. igcw9170

think i'll have a look for any obvious leaks, if none found, due to my complete lack of plumbing ability, i'll opt for the turn it off at night choice.

cheers.

11. Colin and Jaen Andrews

leaks

Hi
    Sorry but you 'probably' have a small leak somewhere and I think pump will burn out eventually.
    We were new to motorhoming at the time but so glad we got someone in to check
    Cheers
    Jaen

12. igcw9170

Dont know if its a coincidence, but I have now been informed by my other half that this seems to have started the night after my son left the washroom tap on and emptied the tank, with the pump still going.

13. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

We had a similar problem which turned out to be a small leak in the toilet flush mechanism.

14. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

I allways turn off the pump when either driving or sleeping if the pipe in the system should burst you will get a lot of water in a very short time and one hell of a mess to clean up
    so by turning off the power the pump can not run on
    hope this helps

15. Colin and Jaen Andrews

leak

Hi
    Sorry back again but draining water tank with a tap dripping would eventualy burn out pump. Pump still working means a leak somewhere - turning off pump will not solve the problem. Only trying to help - it could have cost us a fortune if we had left alone.
    Hope you get it sorted - we had no idea as not engineers but have learnt so much after nearly 3 years - huge learning curve and without MotorhomeFun:thumb: help:thumb::thumb: could have been a very expensive one.
    Over to you and hope you solve problem.:thumb:
    Cheers
    Jaen and Colin

16. keith

keith Funster

After owning 5 motorhomes, and every one had this I learned to live with it. Never had a pump 'burned out' and never found a leak.

The worst was the RV since the pump was not fixed very securely and being a big pump it was noisy but never had a problem with it, other than the noise.

Switch it off if it's a problem. if it was a big leak you will soon find it. :Doh:

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Can also be caused by the hot water tank cooling down..

if no obvious leak , turn it off at night ,

I wouldn't lose sleep over it , these pumps can take a lot of abuse, can run dry and won't burn out, more likely flatten the battery first ...

18. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I was under the impression that it was usual for the pump to activate now and again just to maintain the status quo. Isn't that why they advise not to leave swithed on unnecessarily to avoid drain on battery?

Wyn

19. keith

keith Funster

If I empty the tank the pump will not run. ECU recognises the tank is empty and stops the pump running, don't they all do this?

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

the main reason for switching off when you are asleep or out of the van is in the event of a bust pipe to prevent the van from flooding ..