Water pump problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bully, May 1, 2012.

1. bully

bully Read Only Funster

Hi all

I have a problem with my Autoquest 120. The manual drain hose from my water tank got dislodged (a badly stowed vehicle jack!), and naturally the tank emptied. Having re-fixed the hose and filled the tank, I find that the water pump isn't working (the pump doesn't run and the light beside the manual run switch doesn't light up. The blade fuse is OK (actually appears to be for the gauge rather than the pump itself). Before I start dismantling things... has anyone had a similar problem?

Mike :)

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

is the pump an in-tank version ?

was it turned on when the tank emptied ?

if yes to both then the pump may have burnt out by running dry.

impeller pumps need water to lubricate and cool them...a diaphragm pump doesn't and will run dry OK.

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Mike and welcome :thumb:try powering the pump direct from L/Batt just to check if it is the pump or wiring/fuse :thumb:I would like to tell you all m/hs are wired like this or that but unfortunately they are all different even from same makers sometimes :BigGrin::Wink:It will be a case of tracing wires back to distribution panel and battery etc,they hide fuses in some funny places.
    terry

4. bully

bully Read Only Funster

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is an in-tank pump. Don't think it was turned on after the tank emptied, but the first I knew about it was when the taps didn't work, so perhaps it did burn out.

5. bully

bully Read Only Funster

Not quite sure how to attempt to run the pump direct from the L/batt. I was hoping there might be an fuse or trip somewhere, but cant see one.

6. pappajohn

you will need to remove the pump and connect the wires directly to a battery.

i think most in-tank pumps are operated by a microswitch at the tap, so would need a tap turned on but some have a standalone pressure switch in the pipework and once the tank was empty there would be no pressure to turn it off so the pump would continue to run.

7. Terry

Terry Funster

Run two new wires to it just temp :Wink: just to see if it works :thumb:if it does not work then you need a new pump - if it works then your headache starts trying to find fuses etc or a break in the wire
    terry

8. bully

bully Read Only Funster

Thanks. that's my next job then: getting the pump out. My taps have microswitches, so still hoping I dont have to get a new pump! :)

9. pappajohn

with micro switches its unlikey the pump has burnt out as it shouldn't have been running.