water pump noisy (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
Can anyone tell me if there is a cure for the noisy water pump on my friends fourwinds 5000.
Can he get another one thats quieter fitted or is their any way of dulling the loudness.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can anyone tell me if there is a cure for the noisy water pump on my friends fourwinds 5000.
Can he get another one thats quieter fitted or is their any way of dulling the loudness.

Ear plugs... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sorry.. couldn't resist .. :Blush:

All pumps are noisy except the submersible ones .. depending on where it's housed it may be possible to put in some sound insulation.. you could also try mounting it on some thick rubber mat.. also, make sure there is nothing touching it which will amplify the sound..

Someone else reported that removing the suction filter made it quieter .. but that could let dirt into the pump..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
bottled water is the ultimate in Quietness but only if poured slowley and not allowed to glug.

Is the pump inherently noisy or are the bearings shot? too much insulation may allow the pump to overheat, but then its not used that long or often, why bother about the noise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You can fit a Fiamma one, about £65Link Removed they are fairly quiet or try mounting the old one on rubber hose pipe (screws through it onto board) which will insulate it from the mounting board.

Peter

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Is the pump connected directly to rigid or flexible pipe Baz? Rigid pipe can make the pump noisier.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
My water pump was very noisey, you could here it across any campsite, it got that bad that i decided to have a look at it. What I found was plastic swarf from the fresh water tank had partialy blocked the water hose and the filter, I cleaned them out, and now silence is golden.

John.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In the acustic trade it is generally accepted that a mounting point on cork is the best way forward.. And then pop a box over the top with acustic deadening foam if you want to go OTT ! ( just asked an aquantance who works in the field :thumb: )

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

This is common problem on RV's and is caused by inherant pump vibration being magnified as it travells down the rigid piping.

You can buy a sound deadening kit which is basically two "soft" rubber pipes which connect either side of the pump and onto the ends of the rigid pipework.
Alternatively, if you're tight like me, you'll "obtain" two lengths of hose pipe and some jubilee clips to do the same job at a fraction of the cost.
You MIGHT want to use food grade pipe - personally I didn't bother.........and I'm still here::bigsmile:
You MUST use reinforced pipe because the pump pressure is enough to blow ordinary soft pipe.
Also, do NOT fit a fiamma/shurflo/ whale or ANY other "euro" pump to an RV.
The flow rate and pressure cut off on pumps supplied for european vans is MUCH less and your tap pressure, especially the shower will be useless if you try.
They ARE usually cheaper, but it's just not worth it........believe me, I tried!:Blush:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This is common problem on RV's and is caused by inherant pump vibration being magnified as it travells down the rigid piping.

You can buy a sound deadening kit which is basically two "soft" rubber pipes which connect either side of the pump and onto the ends of the rigid pipework.
alternatively, if you're tight like me, you'll "obtain" two lengths of hose pipe and some jubilee clips to do the same job at a fraction of the cost.
You MIGHT want to use food grade pipe - personally I didn't bother.........and I'm still here::bigsmile:
You MUST use reinforced pipe because the pump pressure is enough to blow ordinary soft pipe.
Also, do NOT fit a fiamma/shurflo/ whale or ANY other "euro" pump to an RV.
The flow rate and pressure cut off on pumps supplied for european vans is MUCH less and your tap pressure, especially the show will be useless if you try.
They ARE usually cheaper, but it's just no worth it........believe me, I tried!:Blush:

Hi

I too have had quite a bit of experience with pumps.. just ask Lynda .. :roflmto:

Two top of the range Shurflo Smart Sensor pumps failed within a year.. :Doh: now replaced with a Flojet and it's the dog's nuts.. great flow and pressure and quieter than the Shurflo..
I also fitted the damping kit when I bought the Shurflo but found little reduction in the noise.. but frankly the noise doesn't bother me.. at least you know when someone has left a tap open.. usually when you've gone to bed.. :roflmto:

Jim

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Has anyone had any experience of fitting an accumulator in the water system. Do they have any effect on pump noise and do they allow the pump to work less?

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I am really annoyed with this post as nobody (apart from me !) has gone OFF TOPIC !! well done everybody !!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :thumb:

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Has anyone had any experience of fitting an accumulator in the water system. Do they have any effect on pump noise and do they allow the pump to work less?
Our RV has the water pump under the bed (with the water tank) and although not that noisy, sounded really loud at 2 o'clock in the morning if you flushed the toilet. I fitted an accumulator (5l size) and now turn the pump off at night and just use the pressure in the accumulator. Result- silence, but still able to flush the toilet and use the washbasin. It also, as previously mentioned, evens out any fluctuations in the shower, etc, if someone turns on another tap elsewhere in the RV. Pump runs in short bursts to restore pressure, but flow is constant. Can definitely recommend one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back