Water Pump Giving Up The Ghost (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
well, after replying on an earlier thread about older vans being better than new and saying nothing electrical on our newer van has broken.....guess what?
Mrs A was taking a shower last night and the water pump started screeching and losing the ability to pump.
What a nuisance!
First week of a long trip to France too.....
So, I need to change the pump but first I need to get one sent here to Brittany then work out how to fit it.
Anybody changed an in tank pump on an Autosleeper?
Any hints and tips gratefully received
I read somewhere that there is a modification available to enable these pumps to be fitted without dropping the tank. Anybody done this?
Allan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry can't help with the modification, never owned an Autotrail.. .. but I doubt you need to drop the tank.. can you not see the top of the tank.. inspection hatch on floor or in cupboard ?

watch polarity when changing .. the pump will run with either, but not as efficient if wrong.. if the new one seems less efficient, change polarity..

The same pumps are also used in pleasure boats .. are there no yacht chandlers or marinas near you ?

when you buy the new pump, also consider buying a spare .. some last years.. some not.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
well, after replying on an earlier thread about older vans being better than new and saying nothing electrical on our newer van has broken.....guess what?
Mrs A was taking a shower last night and the water pump started screeching and losing the ability to pump.
What a nuisance!
First week of a long trip to France too.....
So, I need to change the pump but first I need to get one sent here to Brittany then work out how to fit it.
Anybody changed an in tank pump on an Autosleeper?
Any hints and tips gratefully received
I read somewhere that there is a modification available to enable these pumps to be fitted without dropping the tank. Anybody done this?
Allan
I'm heading South from St Malo Monday morning but I doubt I could get you a pump before I leave friday

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks Jim. No inspection hatch, it's a tank down job.
Thanks for the offer Techno, and the links S20
I'll give CAK tanks a call see if they can deliver here. They also apparently do a mod to the tank, I think some sort of access hatch, sounds easier, I have saws, drills etc, so cutting a hole in the tank shouldn't be a problem!

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya there are about five major motor home,.camping car... "accessoires" dealers in France and they all have Free catalogues .some are as thick as the MMM magazine, they all have maps of depots so easy to find.....also thousands of bits so if you require a part no need to speak French just show picture there is also one for Germany ..there are also some depots in Spain ...we don't leave home without it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks Jim. No inspection hatch, it's a tank down job.

Ridiculous. I can change a pump on ours in 10 mins through it's screw top. Although I haven't had to despite carrying a spare for our 12 year old one.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
thats sods law if you have one you won't need it.. if you have not you will...my spare pump been in box for years

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
My father had an auto sleeper and he also kept a spare, but the main thing that would happen is the filter just needed cleaning so he had two filters and would swap over. The hardest thing was the access get to the pump, the rest was easy.
The back of my cupboard is permanently off for that same reason - easy access to pump if required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ridiculous. I can change a pump on ours in 10 mins through it's screw top. Although I haven't had to despite carrying a spare for our 12 year old one.
What else would you expect from German engineering.:D
I carry a spare as well & never needed it.

As for spares in France, I cracked a rear light just before we went, picked one up in France for €135 (£97) bit better than £160 in the UK.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Apparently the modification to the tank involves fitting an access hatch.....in the top of the tank, so the tank needs to be dropped, to fit the hatch. I don't see any benefit there. It would be handy to have a hatch in the side........
Anyway, I got through to Autosleeper and ordered a new pump to be delivered here in France.
It costing me about £35 with postage, cheaper than travelling to get one. I just need to figure out how to fit it now.
Not looking forward to that......

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When you do it take photos and post the whole procedure for the Funsters :cool: