Water puddling on roof of coachbuilt (1 Viewer)

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Now that it's started to rain more I'm noticing that a good amount of water gets caught on the roof of my motorhome. I've noticed when I drive out of my carpark that a LOT of water sluices from the roof, and I can also see it when looking down from my upstairs apartment. It's only maybe 0.5-1cm deep and covers the main middle section of the roof.

Is this something that I should be worried about leading to water ingress? I expected that the roof would be shaped to prevent water catchment, or maybe the roof has sunken in partially?

Thanks for any advice. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it's normal :thumb:

when parked up/stored for an extended period try parking on a slight sideways slope..or even on levelling blocks to one side only...then the water will run off instead of pooling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I have similar problem on my new autocruise starfire ,expect I will end up driving up on ramps at front end so water does'nt build up. V Bad design ( real pain in the a*** :Blush:)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Pretty common problem as most vans have a flat roof. Luckily where mine is parked has a slight slope so it runs off. As previously suggested use levelling blocks to 'unlevel' it

Star_gypsy

Free Member
Jun 15, 2011
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1987
Now that it's started to rain more I'm noticing that a good amount of water gets caught on the roof of my motorhome. I've noticed when I drive out of my carpark that a LOT of water sluices from the roof, and I can also see it when looking down from my upstairs apartment. It's only maybe 0.5-1cm deep and covers the main middle section of the roof.

Is this something that I should be worried about leading to water ingress? I expected that the roof would be shaped to prevent water catchment, or maybe the roof has sunken in partially?

Thanks for any advice. :thumb:

Hi I've been a wild camper for over 23 years. My German coach-built has this phenomenon too & it is a 1992 model. I've had it over 9 years now & I don't have any structural problems or leakage.:Smile: I think most modern coach-built motor-homes are aluminium and are pretty well sealed against this.

I hope this helps:winky:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Just drill a big hole in the middle of the puddle, and all your problems will be over

:winky:

How silly! All the water will run down inside and slosh about on the floor. :Doh: I'm not that gullible. I'm going to drill a hole in the floor first so it can run straight out. Simples!

Wyn

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
We also have the same problem, particularly on the r/h side of roof so beware if your anywhere near us when its going on blocks :Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had the same on both my Eura and Hymer.
Drowned someone once.

To get out of my road (back then) it was two very slow t junctions then one where you had to pull out really quickly.

The water didn't normally come off until I braked at the next junction. On this one occasion coming out of the T junction turning right someone stepped out in front of me. So from full acceleration with right lock to standing on the brakes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The whole lot flew off the front passenger side and totally covered the bloke....... All I could do was look apologetic whilst thinking serves him right for running out in front of me...:Blush:

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Same as us we have this problem on our 2010 Roller Team water sits on the nearside where the overhead cab and flat part starts awlays a nice black mark on roof lol...

Craig

gail

Free Member
May 27, 2010
North wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2010
roof water

Hi yes, we have the same problem, weve decided to bite the bullet and buy a breathable cover. We can see the puddle forming on ours from our upstairs windows too. It is a real pain I know, but it does seem quite common.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back