water problems

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by oozzie, Apr 14, 2014.

1. oozzie

oozzie Funster

Hi, i'm having a few problems after filling the fresh water tank. After iv'e put water in, i go about filling the water heater and bleeding the air through the taps. Whats happening is minutes later, you turn on a tap and no water just gurgling and spluttering. I go through the bleeding process again and then the same happens again. This first happened a month ago, two weeks later it was fine but this weekend same problem. Seems like a vacuum is sucking all the water back, iv'e tried leaving the tank filler cap off while bleeding the system but no change. Any suggestions anyone???

Thanks, oozzie

2. connie

connie Read Only Funster

Hi

Try running just one thing at a time to get them full of water when full keep running for a little longer, the go on to the next item till you have gone through the whole van. good luck.

3. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

water pump

Hi, check that your pump is working properly ,one end is suction, other end delivery ,filter should be on suction side check not blocked or cracked make sure all connections are tight then if still not working properly pump may need repairs ie new diaphram:Smile:providing you have an externally fitted pump that is !some are submersible in the water tank itself and are usally easily replaced for not too many quids:Laughing:

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

its a sticky non return valve allowing the water to drain back to the tank. usually found by the pump

• Like Like x 1
  5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Assuming all the water drain taps are shut and it's happening on both hot and cold supplies, this sounds as though the non-return valve on the top of the pump has failed. If so, try tapping it gently. If this makes no difference you will have to replace the pump - it's a Reich twin-barreled model 19 litres/minute flow rate. Yours is probably branded Hymer but it's the same unit.
    http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/stor...e-pump-with-nonreturn-valve-hymer-p-4178.html

If the problem is only on the hot water feed, suspect the overflow coupling on the side of the Truma heater. It's at the top and has a clear plastic drain tube coming from it that goes outside - usually though the floor.

6. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Its definately the non return valve. You can buy a 10 mm NRV for under a tenner. Fit it in line near the water tank. He presto, no more problems. Did it recently, cured all the problems.

7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Good idea so long as there is room. In mine, the length of pipe between the pump and the tank top plug that holds the pump flow & return spigots is very short. If I had to cut into it to fit a separate NRV I think the pump would be pressed against the bottom of the tank and it's supposed to hang free. If it touches the tank there is a chance of more noise as the tank becomes a sounding board for the pump when it is running.
    I carry a spare pump anyway in case of a breakdown whilst away.

8. oozzie

oozzie Funster

thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies, i shall get out and have a look after work tomorrow. Is it possible to see the non return valve, and where would it be?

oozzie

9. oozzie

oozzie Funster

Sorry, should of said what does a non return valve look like?

10. aba

aba

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If you look at my first reply above to your original question and click on the link to Marcle Leisure, you will see a picture of the Reich pump. The NR valve is the wider grey collar that is built into the water outlet spigot (between the pump body and the items marked A and B in the picture). It's part of the pump's construction and is non-serviceable. That's why I suggested tapping it to see if it clears. If not, fit a new pump or try and fit a separate NRV between pump and tank top, but as I said in my second post, you may not have much room to do this. If you need advice, Marcle is run by a very knowledgeable and helpful chap.

12. oozzie

oozzie Funster

Hi, i tried the tapping the nr valve and it seems to have done the trick. The water worked great all weekend.

Many Thanks :thumb:

oozzie

• Like Like x 1
  13. Microchip

Microchip Funster

Agree...just change mine for the same reason. :thumb:

Keith

14. BgClick

BgClick Funster