Water Problem...help! (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thought things where going to easy! When we fill the water tank as soon as we turn the tap on there seems to be an overflow at the back of the van and the tank is emptying? It's not the water dump it's an actual overflow on a small plastic pipe....anybody any ideas what we're doing wrong?

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry for total ignorance where would we find it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
My water dump comes out of a small plastic pipe. Had a problem with my dump valve at Easter where the valve wasn't seating properly and causing water to leak out.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
My truma boiler is accessible from an outside locker, the dump valve is at the bottom left hand side.
It is made to open and dump if the temp gets too low. You might be better finding someone with a similar van as they will prob advise you better.

Upvote 0

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
mine has drain valves under panel in floor under sink unit these you have to open to drain for winter so unless you opened them i cant see this as the fault it is next to the truma combi mines a button and a switch. Switch to on and push button if i forget it runs out next to the boiler onto the floor check this first

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Does any water come out of the tap at the same time? If 'yes, but only a trickle', then it does sound as if the boiler dump valve is open.

The newer Truma boilers have a black tap on a sort of triangular housing which also has a blue push button on it. You need to turn the black tap so it is 'across' the housing, then push the button in. The 'feel' of the tap will make it obvious which direction is 'off' - it clicks into this position easily, while the 'on' position has considerable resistance.

Older models have a lever. Move it to the other position - you know it's open now!

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Which year and model Hymer do you have? Hymers usually have water drain valves in the hot and cold pipes as well as the Truma frost protection 'dump' valve. All have to be closed before water can be run successfully. Alternatively, you might have a failed overflow valve on the Truma. Answer the first question above and we'll take it from there.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
image.jpg
Ours looks like this
If the yellow valve is pointing upwards it's open for draining and should be closed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all, I think we have the valves under the sink we haven't tried them yet. Not much we can do now as would have to drive off and fill the tank up again as it's now completely empty. So we've made an executive decision to go to the pub and try again tomorrow :)

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If it's like my 1999 Hymer the boiler is located in the wardrobe, you will need to lift the hinged wooden flap (wardrobe base) there is a auto dump valve mine is a red pull knob, also on the floor you will see the hot & cold water pipes each one has a screw down valve, these need to be closed as well or the water drains as you described.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks all, I think we have the valves under the sink we haven't tried them yet. Not much we can do now as would have to drive off and fill the tank up again as it's now completely empty. So we've made an executive decision to go to the pub and try again tomorrow :)

Like your fall back plan, but I am slightly concerned how your tank would be completely empty if it only 'leaks' when the tap is turned on, that would take quite a lot of minutes to empty a complete tank

Unless it is one of the pressurised water systems where it would constantly run until pressurised which could never happen if a valve is open

It does sound like it must be a valve though, if it were on the water tank itself you should have heard it leaking while filling

Sounds like another easy fix, and something most of us have done at least once (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's a 2007 hymer. Don't think it's the dump tank as we would have tought the same thing would of happenend last week as we haven't messed about with anything since then!

Once we turn the tap on it starts to empty and doesn't stop even when the tap is turned off. We also got a burning smell from the truma which I think could be because no water is getting through?? Fingers crossed we can get it sorted today(y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If the drainage valves are open, you are looking for something like the ones shown in the pictures below (although this refers to the 2003-5 vintage). If yours is on a Fiat base, they are probably in the double-floor space as shown in fig 144
upload_2015-5-4_9-25-33.png

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A 2007 Hymer it will be a C6002, on the top R/H side there is a T fitting where the hot water take off point is this incorporates a vent valve to allow air in when the boiler is filling, there is a drain pipe that goes through the floor from the bottom of the T.
Faulty valve is common on this model, if the valve is leaking it will dump the water and drain your cold tank by siphon action.

Replacement valve here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Lennyhb that sounds like it could be the problem we are just on our way home to hopefully sort it! Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply it's very much appreciated :)(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Problem sorted. It seems the dump valve was open:blusher: What we thought was the dump valve wasn't! Anyway we've learnt quite a bit in a short time! Thanks again for all your expert help sure there'll be a lot more questions coming your way :thanks4:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back