Water problem - Help please

Discussion in 'How To' started by artemis, Mar 20, 2012.

1. artemis

artemis

Filled water tank for the first time this year.

Can hear pump trying to work but nothing coming through the taps and water running out under the van. Drain valve is closed.

Boiler is a Truma combi boiler

Any advice? Had hoped to take van away for a few days tomorrow.
    Thanks
    Elizabeth
    :cry::cry::cry:

2. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Have you checked the small frost protection "dump" valve on the boiler is closed?

If it opened during the cold weather the water will just be pumped out till you reset the valve.

My Truma frost protection valve looks like this....

[​IMG]

The red button on the top resets the valve,and stops the water draining out when the pump runs.

Callum

3. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Just had that prob, asked on here , got the solution, warm the dump valve with a hairdryer, (make sure the little red(?) button is in the up position,) should stop the pump once you system is up to pressure, (as long as you have got rid of all the air in the system by opening all the taps, start nearest the pump and work to the furthest away):thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Sounds like truma protection auto dump valve is open..

5. artemis

artemis

Water problem

Thanks for the advice. My husband assures me the boiler dump valve is closed. We have not had this problem before but it is only our second year with this van.
    Perhaps the valve is not completely closed.

We will try again tomorrow and hopefully succeed. Any more suggestions as to the cause would be welcome.

Thanks
    Elizabeth

6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

If it's not the dump valve then it's possible something has frozen and split while laid up during the winter. Brian

7. lorger

lorger Funster

Do you have a drain valve somewhere we have one that drains the hot water tank and all pipes and sods law every time i fill up its in the open position and as soon as i open a tap it empties tank :Rofl1: always say i will remember that next time :Rofl1:

Ours is a wee yellow valve under seat just pulls up and folds down like flap switch

8. artemis

artemis

John says we have two drain valves, one for hot and one for cold, both have been closed. It is all very frustrating!!
    :Doh::Doh::Doh:

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

then i'll go with Brian...something froze and either split or pushed apart.

10. artemis

artemis

Water problem solved

Problem was that tank has different valves for travelling and camping. Pick up point for pump in freshwater tank above overflow outlet when in travel mode. The water was drained when it had its habitation service and valve left in travel mode. we had never used this mode. It means no water available when travelling for taps or toilet. Crazy!! Who would want to use this?
    Thanks for advice, we can now put everything back in the garage and go away.
    Elizabeth

:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

This is a 'shot in the dark' but it might be to do with the weight capacity of the vehicle (Max Authorised Mass - MAM). A lot of Artos are plated at 3,500kg MAM and a full tank of water, plus all the other things we tend to travel with, might well put them over this limit. Perhaps the travelling mode valve is there to prevent filling the tank beyond a certain weight - remember water weighs 1 kg / litre so an extra 70 litres might tip the balance - so to speak. Obviously, this may not be relevant to you if yours is plated at a higher MAM than 3,500kg.