Water on the roof!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Paul55, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Paul55

Paul55 Read Only Funster

We have recently bought our first motorhome - an autocriuse Star Spirit 2011.
    Its fabulous but we are very concerned to find that any rain water collects on the roof. The raised seams around the edge of the roof seem to be stopping the water from draining off.
    Is this normal or likely to be a problem?

Paul and Christy Ottewell

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

it's normal and shouldnt present any problems providing all roof seales are in good shape....you'll soon know if they arent :Sad:.

the water will run off when driving and parking on a slope when stored will help it run off too.

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

yes to both

some vans hold puddles on the roof others dont. it tends to shed as you move off

if left for months it water creeps into joints and then freezes doing damage.

move the van frequently in the winter

4. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, I've got a starfire 2011 same problem, have tried parking on wedges it gets rid of most of water but not all. Bad design I think but most of Swifts (autocruise,sundance, Bessacar) have the same problem. Terry:Cool:

5. f6c

f6c Funster

Site the van on levellers, then the water will run off.:Wink:

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We had the same problem with our Rimor and Chausson MHs, we just used to put the front up on ramps to give a good run off and didn't have a problem.:Smile:

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Same issue here (CI Carioca 656), and a defective roof seal was actually the subject of a factory recall on the 2005 model of our MH, which caused us some bother early on. We recently had a satellite dish fitted and because of where we store other items on the roof it had to be sited in the puddle. There was a leakage problem to begin with but after a second visit by the fitter it appears to have been sorted. I have to admit the presence of a puddle with a satellite dish sitting in it and a once faulty roof seal causes me some worry.

I've considered a number of things - a waterproof roof cover costs a bit, might blow off in strong winds, and would stop the solar panel from keeping the batteries topped up over winter and this would weaken them. Cutting a hole in the roof cover so most of the solar panel will work would only allow water in so that's a non-starter. I don't want to park it up on chocks to avoid straining the handbrake during time in storage, and I don't want to put the chocks down one side to angle the roof because I can't see it helping the suspension. I've considered getting something like a couple of sawn off railway sleepers and driving the front wheels up onto them using the chocks so rainwater drains off the back of the MH. I'd then be wondering if any creosote in the sleepers would damage the tyres, or if having the batteries at an angle might damage their performance.

I asked the guy who services my camper each year and he reckoned it would cost £3-400 for him to fix a roof leak if one occurred, so in the end I'm just going to have it damp checked regularly and stump up the cash if it's ever needed - everything else seems like such a faff.

8. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Recently at the Camper UK Summer meet, I saw a MH with a couple of pieces of white conduit piping and elbow joints, protruding from each side of the MH roof. This was for the sole purpose of draining off any rain water, from within the roof hollow, Ingenious, but crude.

Cheers,

Jock.

9. shunter

shunter Funster

My drive is on a bit of a slope so all of the water runs off to one corner so I just keep an eye on that:thumb:

Nev

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

A puddle on your roof won't make it any less waterproof, don't worry about it. You van is best stored as level as possible. I've seen vans with permanent stoops from being left for long periods on lateral, left to right, slopes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. UK Grey Nomads

UK Grey Nomads Read Only Funster

Hi
    Great fun when the water runs off the front of our Autocruise Starblazer, I switch the wipers on and soak the wife:BigGrin:, she would win a wet t shirt competition anytime:thumb:. On a serious note, check that the front scuttle "drain off" and hose is free of any any leaves, etc, the volume of water from the roof can be considerable and overflow it.

Alan & Jenny

12. Paul55

Paul55 Read Only Funster

many thanks for all your comments. Think we have decided to use the problem as the best excuse ever to get out lots during the winter. will let everyone know if we develop a leak. Will look out for this as something to avoid when buying our next MH.
    Have fun,
    Christy and Paul