Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi funsters a quick question.
I have been unable to use the camper for almost a year due to an injury,After surgery wanted to get back on the road ASAP.The van has rested in my garden and the roof was green owing to a neighbour's overhanging trees.Doh:Angry:
A friend kindly offered to work the lance at the carwash with a gantry.It worked well and the roof looks great,However I now have watermarks around the two rooflights on the material below,which is white(or was):Doh: It's a kind of soft plasticky material,looks awful.I have gently tried a clothing stain remover on a small area and has made it look worse.
The rooflights were of course closed but feel the pressure was too great.Have been parked and driven in torrential rain many times so not leaking under normal circumstances.
With all the leaking and damp van posts lately,maybe someone has a simple solution,thanks in advance.:thumb:

OP
OP
Baldeagle7470
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Thanks Yosser but my marks are on the ceiling!!
Anyone any ideas at all,willing to try anything,within reason.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I could be wrong, but I did have a dry cleaning business and laundrette for many years, and unfortunately water marks were especially if they had been there any length of time was the one thing we could not remove to our satisfaction.

If any one knows better would be interested.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
now this is guesswork.......

a bi-carb of soda paste (mix bi-carb with a little water to a paste/cream) dab on with a sponge then leave a while.

clean off with a damp cloth and let dry.

bi-carb removes dried blood stains among others so may work

nothing to lose

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It sounds like the edges of the ceiling boards (plywood with vinyl coating) have got wet. try a hair dryer to dry them out, as the water is behind the vinyl in the plywood. if its still stained when it dries out, there is little you can do other than paint it over with a quality eggshell type paint. thats what some repair shops use rather than replace marked boards

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The stain may not actually be on the surface, so tread very carefully at this stage.

The trouble is with 'sandwich' construction, as part of the sandwich is some gloop that's coloured and if the wallboard gets wet enough, that colour will unfortunately seep through.

We had some pale grey stains round the main rooflight, discovered on PDI that unfortunately the rooflight hadn't been seated properly at the factory. The dealer fixed the rooflight - we had a ferry booked and we said we're going on holiday but we want this fixed when we get back, the dealer said they would fix it, Pete asked what they would do, they said cut out the section of roof board round the cupboards; Pete said Oh no you won't - to do it properly it needs to be stripped back by removing the cupboards and the wardrobe and that's exactly what I want done. By the time we got back from 3 weeks in France (3 DRY weeks I should add) the pale grey not very noticeable really watermarks had gradually morphed through pale pink, dark pink and finally into maroon watermarks!

And 2 days later we had a letter telling us when the manufacturer would like the van, please. They had the van; we went up to the factory to get it back; they fixed another two very minor probs nowt to do with the rooflight and several others none of which we'd asked about, one of which that actually wasn't a fault LOL Well it was, but it was ours not theirs we think - they'd noticed the floor of one of the lockers had got wet cos there was half a label off something we'd had in the locker stuck to the floor. So they removed the label and fitted a new door seal. Actually we think the hosepipe was wet when Pete put it away and we didn't find the label until we completely emptied the van of all our tackle prior to the roof repair!

Oh - and they paid our mileage at a very good rate. We weren't expecting that at all.

Anyway we were mega happy and still were when we P/X'd the van 3.5 years later.

I'd wait and see for a little while before you attack the ceiling with ANYTHING. If you need to replace the panel either you need to be perfect with a Stanley knife or you need to get it done professionally IMHO. Sorry.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I had a similar problem a few months ago after I tried washing the van cieling ::bigsmile:I tried everything in my arsenal of cleaning product's but nothing worked. I ended up removing all trims and giving it all 4 coats of Dulux vynil silk emulsion :thumb: including a couple of coats on the roof blind :Eeek::thumb: worked brilliantly, the blind was always a different shade of light cream but now matches perfect :thumb:
Just for information I mixed half white with half magnolia for a near perfect match to original :thumb: I used a small 4 ins lambswool roller and a inch and half brush to cut in :thumb: Very happy with results and no one would realise it has been done ::bigsmile:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Not sure if I have read this correct is the stain on fabric or the ceiling of the motorhome ? Just wondering.

OP
OP
Baldeagle7470
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Sorry Carol.
Probably didn't describe very well.Best I say it's the material on the ceiling which is marked.It is best described as a white padded plastic type of material with a fine sort of gold stripe in it.It is ribbed or mottled kind of.
The van is a 2000 Chausson welcome which is unmarked inside except for these stains,the reason I would really like to be able to sort it myself,the material also of course goes right to the walls which would mean painting the insides of cupboards etc. if this is the only solution!!
Thanks for help again.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I had better say my roof boards were vynil faced -- not material :winky:
terry