Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
Hello,

The water level indicator on my van is playing up !!! When I fill it, it gives an accurate reading - then 5 mins later, it shows "empty" regardless. The fresh water tank has five seperate cable attachments running up the side of the tank (I assume detecting each level, i.e. empty 25% 50% 75% full) - which then attach to a water level sensor box - which in turn goes to the lcd display. I have had to disabled the low water alarm as it's a right royal pain.

Any ideas where I start. I have put fresh tank water cleaner (non chlorine) in there to see if it cleans up the sensors inside the tank. I don't appear to have any access inside the tank so not sure how to check/clean it (if it is related). All cables look okay to the sensor box and to the lcd display.

Why are the little things so frustrating !!! :Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
These indicators are notoriously inaccurate. Some are worse than others but I don't think any are perfect.

In our previous van, which had a black water tank, we found it easier to get used to more or less how much water we used and refill on that basis, rather than rely on the gauge. Our current van has a white translucent tank so you can see the level if necessary by lifting the seat cushion and support board.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ours is a black tank and the 'access point' is under a removable panel in the van floor, between the fridge and the bathroom door - normally covered by the carpet. Big screw on cap, you can then get your arm right inside the tank.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It does depend on what type of sensor system it uses

It could be a simple mechanical float with a magnet which runs up the inside, switching reed relays..
If it is that sort of set up the float may be filling with water and sinking back down.. Had that a couple of times over the last few years.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if its just a plain rod in tank type the bottom one is usually the common then the next one up is the 25% 50% 75% and the one at the top thats 100%.

i would suspect it could be like Jaws has said and is a float type thats got a pin hole in it and is sinking.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
when nowt comes out of the tap the tank is empty. Simples
Moral: Top up whenever you can

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We can go 2 days and then need to fill up (and empty the Thetford). Our gauge doesn't work very well either. It is either 100 per cent or zilch. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Unfortunately our tanks gauges are both iffy? We have emptied the waste, driven to our destination and found the red warning light on. Empty fresh tank on departure from home, got to site and according to the gauge it was full. Topped up though. Best indication is experience. It's less than a year since we started motor homing but we already know how long our tanks will last, roughly. We never kept a check when caravanning.:Smile:
Just something you need to get used to I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back