Water level indicator (1 Viewer)

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Here we go with the first question/problem.

Collected the motorhome today,Herald Squire,and have spent the afternoon playing. Seem to have managed to get everything working except the water level indicator. I have completely filled the tank but the gauge is only showing just off empty, pressing the read button doesn't make any difference and the set knob doesn't seem to do anything either.

I'm sure that the problem is down to me but I cannot find anything in any of the manuals so would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks in advance - as I said in my first posting this will be first of many questions

cakeboy

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi
Water gauges are some of the most unreliable things on most motorhomes, they either work or don't.

I think most people run on a guess, fill the tank up and try and see how long it lasts, you only have to do this a couple of times and soon know. Don't know if you have a waste tank if you do that normally fills at about the same rate as the other empties.

Make sure you have watering can in case you use too much and can easily fill without moving.
Normal practice fill up on arrival empty waste on leaving, you don't want to be carting too much water around it costs too much.

Hope this helps

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont worry.....totally unreliable anyway.

they can be cleaned....but it aint worth the trouble and they'll play up again very soon.
the usual type is a series of electrical probes which are set at differing levels and transmit power between themselves so altering the electrical resistance to the gauge as the water level changes.

the probes get dirty and contaminated altering the electrical resistance.

best indicator is....

no water from taps.....out of fresh water

grey water in shower base....grey tank full

'floater' in the toilet bowl.....black tank/cassette full

:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Way to go cakeboy, one question at a time and you get focussed answers. I too have a water guage that doesn't work, as has been already said empty grey waste when filling water tank and empty cassette at least every couple of days whether full or not. Although you should have a seperate indicator for your cassette. If it doesn't work try replacing batteries.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Had the same problem first time using after winter - it was fine before.
Ours is a lever at the top of the tank a bit like in the old fashioned petrol tank, and like the cistern arm in your toilet.
The man cleaned it off for me and showed me moving the arm made the lights gradually come on to indicate full, but when we next used there was no difference. It used to give good indication in lights at five or so stages from empty to full, now it only comes on when its almost full.
He showed me where it was and how to clean it, as they are subject to muck and mess. I was suprised how short and stubby it was to give the readings on the scale - seems to me it must have been over half full and nearer 3/4 before the water level got near this arm.
I am also suprised because we never let it get 'full' before winter, and never drove off a site without emptying it (why pay diesel for dirty water carrying). I would have thought the more solid stuff that did get through the drain plug (again we try to keep solids out) would have gone to the bottom.
I have yet to get the large circular drain bungs off to see if there is a longer piece of the sensor arm that has fallen off, but the man at the dealers did not mention it.
Any suggestions welcome.

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi
Water gauges are some of the most unreliable things on most motorhomes, they either work or don't.

I think most people run on a guess, fill the tank up and try and see how long it lasts, you only have to do this a couple of times and soon know. Don't know if you have a waste tank if you do that normally fills at about the same rate as the other empties.

Make sure you have watering can in case you use too much and can easily fill without moving.
Normal practice fill up on arrival empty waste on leaving, you don't want to be carting too much water around it costs too much.

Hope this helps

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Not if you own a Swift Suntor 630g they are not. In fact if that was all that went faulty on my Swift I would be delighted.

Doug...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back