Water leak

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by golly, Aug 22, 2014.

1. golly

golly Funster

Stuck without the van this week:(, last time out noticed water in the cupboard under the sink. Couldn't get a good look as there is a board at the back of the cupboard, squinting through the small gap in the board, all I could see were lots of pipes and push fit connections and the water boiler. Off to the dealer. As I suspected one of the push fit connectors was leaking, the damp levels on the cupboard walls and floor were very high as you would expect, I think it must have been leaking since we got it (new in May). It is now in the dealers with a de-humidifier running for a week, if they don't reduce god knows what will need to be done, ? new floor, ? new cupboard:eek:. Hope they get it sorted as we want to get away next week.

2. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

ouch,:(

3. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

dream on !!:cry::cry::cry:STAN

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ventilation, ventilation and more ventilation dries out damp....not dehumidifiers.

They work very well in a sealed environment but all its doing is drying the naturally moist air being drawn into the van from outside via vents etc.

• Like Like x 4
  5. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Good grief, May? Money-back time!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

What a nightmare!!! Hope it's sorted and sorted properly.

This sort of thing could lead to long term heartache. Then it's out of warranty and the dealers don't want to know.

Push for all you can and good luck. No motorhome that was new in May, should be back in a dealers for damp!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. golly

golly Funster

Well we will see what happens when I go back in a week.

• Like Like x 1
  8. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

no excuse for bad workmanship . what happened to pre delivery checks ? agree with papa garage workshop will be nice and dry though.:cool::cool::cool:STAN

• Like Like x 3
  9. cakey

cakey Funster

Normally the first sign of a leak/problem is the pump working when there are no taps open. was that not the case?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Pre-delivery checks?? What's them?? Spoken to more peeps this year with serious problems in new vans then ever. 99% could have been sorted if picked out during a serious PDI.

• Like Like x 2
  11. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

:swear:
    I'm with you Tootles, how many times have we read about brand new vans (costing an arm, leg, kidney and half the other leg too) coming out of dealers with faults - Autotrail springs instantly to mind and I own one :Eeek:

Fridges that have NEVER worked, should have been recalled and never fitted, entertainment systems that just don't work, doors that don't close or fit correctly, panels that don't line up, dampness...the flipping list is endless and shouldn't be started in the first place :banghead::swear:

Also have to wonder on a few things:
    If I were a manufacturer I'd be scouting all the forums to see what the feedback is and then change the problems so that they don't occur in the first place. That's good business surely.
    Also, what's happen to carrying out staged inspections throughout the build process. Old experienced guy, sorting out the trainees, apprentices, or shoddy workers and the improvements would be vast :winky:

I'm still surprised (and hugely disappointed) when I have to do maint on my autotrail, only to find they've fitted screws that are the wrong length, haven't bitten or are at a silly angle and therefore not clamping like they should do. Don't even start me on the shoddy wiring with looms hanging everywhere, running unprotected over metal or sharp edges and just waiting to short out, plus doors that are poorly cut for recesses on locks etc :swear:

We can't help but be mad, sad and addicted to our beloved motorhomes, but nothing like this should ever happen, not EVER :punch:

I mean, a new motorhome in May and already back in the dealers for damp......I'm furious for poor
    Golly and can't help but think he'll end up having the wool pulled over his eyes and fobbed off, only to suffer later with it all :crying1: Fingers tightly crossed that this isn't the case :)

Shouldn't have been water in there in the first instance!!!! :swear:

• Like Like x 4
  12. golly

golly Funster

The pump did occasionally come on for seconds, told it was pressure switch needing adjustment.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I went out of my way whilst in Jockland earlier this year, just to garner opinions. Apart from this PDI thing, the main gripes concern the dealers willingness to snatch the cash, and then their unwillingness to even answer the phone if they think you have problems. No after sales service, fobbed off with false promises, 'the guy you need is..............' never there. :mad:
    They just forget when you drive away......
    However, is this the dealers, or the manufactures putting pressure on them??The biggest gripe's seem to be about Bailey, and terrible faults in their (very expensive) so called prestige motorhomes. Endless lists of faults, mostly plumbing problems, like pipes never even being connected.

• Like Like x 1
  14. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Push fit connectors :ROFLMAO: -----why don`t they spend a few £ more and fit compression joints that are physically tightened up to stay put .

• Like Like x 2
  15. golly

golly Funster

Well I have a really good damp Meter and I will be checking it before they box the cupboard in again and if it's still damp there will be some serious renegotiation

16. golly

golly Funster

Especialy when they are in an environment that bounces around like a bouncy thing:doh:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Or, as a friend says of his MH..."Like a jelly on springs". :)

18. cakey

cakey Funster

You have my sympathy, clearly bad information. Hope it was the supplier who told you that, it makes him even more culpable. Pump working, taps turned off, the first thing to look at, is the water tank empty, if not look for a leak!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not the push-fit fittings - it's the push-fit fitters !

I love em - just mark the pipe to make sure the pipe is pushed home fully - not doing that is almost always the problem.

Plastic fittings in a moving environment are better than a rigid metal to metal connection - IMO
    (y)

And if a plumber/fitter can't fit a push-fit what hope has he with a compression joint?
    :doh::doh:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like Like x 3
  20. Terry

Terry Funster

Simply because they use plastic pipe that cannot stand the pressure of a compression joint -called progress but I often think the old hose and jubilee clips were better :)They are like most places where they buy the cheapest fitting they can and then it's you the end customer who finds the faults (note you and not me-self build rools as JJsays)-
    The guys on the production lines are little more than Monkeys taught to do there bit and basically don't care because it's not there van -management are happy to sit on there arses and let things go instead of keeping there eye on the ball-The sooner they get taken to court and vans start to get rejected the sooner people will wake up and smell the coffee
    I will have to find myself a job :D(widows pension ends):Dcome next year so may put myself forward as a final inspection-er at one of the big makers :D:D:DCannot see me lasting long or being popular with any so called work force :LOL:-Perhaps as a consultant would be better(pop in and out-get paid a lot):)or better still carry on as I am (y):D
    terry

• Like Like x 2