Water Ingress inside of window, any ideas (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Just had a storm shower go through and suddenly getting water coming in the inside of one of the windows. Its not getting through the rubber seal between the glass and the frame rather inside the window frame.

Had a quick look on the roof but did not see any obvious pooling on the roof so any ideas as what to check would be gratefully received.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Do you mean INSIDE a double glazing type window or just on the inside of the glass in the van?

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
We had water coming into the van during heavy rain. It was the seal round the windows that had to be replaced.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Can you see what the state of sealant is like around the outside frame of the window? Is it perished where it's sealed across the top horizontal section of the frame/above the window? This could be where water is getting in and finding its way inside.

Other than than, have you been on the roof at all?
Have you inspected it for any holes that look yo be sealed?
Reason why I ask, the previous owner of mine had taken off a dome satellite and cut the cable going into the cable gland.
Water was finding its way down the cable and into the inside.

The other thing to consider is are your window drain holes blocked?
We had water pooling on the inside of the window ledge/frame after a heavy rain/storm last year.
The window was directly under where the water drained off the roof.
Water drained off the roof and down the side panel onto the window.
The design of the window is to allow water to run around the window frame and drain through the drain holes at the bottom of the window frame.
Unfortunately, these were blocked and water was backing up, hence eventually finding its way inside.
Easily rectified by poking a bit of wire into the drain hole to unblock and clean the frame with kitchen roll.
I also sprayed the window seal rubber with silicone spray and all of this solved my leak.

Suggest you put hose on the area and get someone to sit inside and try trace it.

Other than this, game some photos of the area and post on here. Someone may offer a different solution.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Th
Can you see what the state of sealant is like around the outside frame of the window? Is it perished where it's sealed across the top horizontal section of the frame/above the window? This could be where water is getting in and finding its way inside.

Other than than, have you been on the roof at all?
Have you inspected it for any holes that look yo be sealed?
Reason why I ask, the previous owner of mine had taken off a dome satellite and cut the cable going into the cable gland.
Water was finding its way down the cable and into the inside.

The other thing to consider is are your window drain holes blocked?
We had water pooling on the inside of the window ledge/frame after a heavy rain/storm last year.
The window was directly under where the water drained off the roof.
Water drained off the roof and down the side panel onto the window.
The design of the window is to allow water to run around the window frame and drain through the drain holes at the bottom of the window frame.
Unfortunately, these were blocked and water was backing up, hence eventually finding its way inside.
Easily rectified by poking a bit of wire into the drain hole to unblock and clean the frame with kitchen roll.
I also sprayed the window seal rubber with silicone spray and all of this solved my leak.

Suggest you put hose on the area and get someone to sit inside and try trace it.

Other than this, game some photos of the area and post on here. Someone may offer a different solution.
thanks will look at the sealant and drain holes. Roof looks ok but will try and get up there tomorrow and check around.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Our seals looked perfect, until Graham took them off to see if he could find where water was coming it. There was no doubt. Took it to dealer who replaced and sealed all [rubber]and resealed round all windows. Our thoughts were if one goes then lets get them all fixed. No problems since.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
@Tom A no not quite, it's seems to be coming down inbetween the outside and inside wall at the top of one of the windows frames. It does not appear to be the window seal or frame so I suspect it is coming from the roof somewhere.

Had a long look at the roof and only found one place some old sealant is missing so patched that and will see if that solves the issue or not.

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We had the same leak as the video. The vans got aluminium window frames and there is a mod to fix it.
You've not got aluminium frames have you ?

johnlea

Free Member
Apr 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT580
We had the same leak as the video. The vans got aluminium window frames and there is a mod to fix it.
You've not got aluminium frames have you ?
Hi Tom,
Looking at your post from Jul 3 2016. We've got the same problem on one of the windows in our motorhome. You mention a mod to fix it, any chance you could share the details.

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Hi Tom,
Looking at your post from Jul 3 2016. We've got the same problem on one of the windows in our motorhome. You mention a mod to fix it, any chance you could share the details.
Hi John. I'll try and find the details and post them later today.

johnlea

Free Member
Apr 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT580
Many thanks. I had been planning to put in a drain hole, but if you've got a known solution so much the better.

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
I've found the modification and it's a Word document. Not brilliant with computer. How to I share or paste it on here?

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
This is it if it's attached.

Attachments

• Window modification.doc
    3.7 MB · Views: 83

johnlea

Free Member
Apr 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT580
Yes, it was attached thanks. I don't have Word and Wordpad scrambled it. So I've used PDF24 (which is free) to convert it to PDF and it's fine.
I've attached the pdf to this post as it's pretty universal and can be read on most devices.

My van windows are Dometic S7p and look very similar to the ones in your video above. Do you know where the mod originated?

Many thanks for your trouble.

John

Attachments

• Window modification.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 59
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Hi John
Allegedly it was a recall back in the day.
My van originated from Brownhills and it was one of their technicians who sent me the link to the modification.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back