water ingress in LHD transit mk7 passenger footwell (1 Viewer)

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
hi funsters, I've just discovered that the mat in the passenger side footwell is absolutely soaked with water. Not sure how long it's taken for it to become so saturated as it's a thick absorbent base with rubber matting on top. The door seals are fine but the insulation cladding around the base of the central part of the dash is also wet and it looks like the water's been dripping down from there. I've had a look on fordtransit forum but haven't been able to glean much there regarding that area of the cab. Anyone had this problem? - advice very much appreciated.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Just a thought

Have you checked the seal around the windscreen. I am no mechanic but I had a car years ago where water was on the floor and it turned out the rubber seal around the window needed replacing and that was the cause of the water in the car.

I had dismissed the rubber windscreen seal because of the location of the pool of water but apparently there was a groove the water ran down causing the pool of water.

Good luck with this. I am sure a more experienced funster will come along with some more expert suggestions soon

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Almost certainly there will be a drain on the bulkhead under the bonnet, possibly with a flattened rubber end on and it drains the scuttle. Just check that it is not full of old leaves

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Heater Matrix leaking most likely - behind centre dash. The carpet will get wet/leave water marks on the matting from the centre of the dash base, leading outwards.

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
problem solved - thx everyone

yep - scuttle was ok, windscreen seals ok and also heater ok. turned out to be the aircon outlet pipe was toooooo short and wasn't clearing the bulkhead properly resulting in it draining back inside the cab. have made up an extension pipe and am happily watching it drip out through the engine space now. Handy to know about yhe other possible problems and thanks again for advice which might be needed in the future

Bennyheaven

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
Pleasley.notts.
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
25 years
Transit water leak

Look behind front door pillar plastic covers near windscreen.possible leak in corner under windscreen top rubber running down pillar onto floor.ive got a mk6 and that was where mind had a leaked.alll the best. Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Blocked aircon evaporator drain hose?
There will be a lot of water being produced in your ventilation system in this weather!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i had the exact same fault with my nissan navara. the condensation hose was not long enough to pass through the bulkhead, so it ran down behind the carpet inside. fixed under warranty

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back