Water in France and Europe

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by barryd, Jun 2, 2009.

1. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Hi. From what I can gather from the forum there is a plethora of tap types in France and you need a range of adaptors. I carry two hoses, one of which is fitted with a rubber adaptor which will squeeze over a small household tap and one which is the screw on type you see on most UK sites and CL's. Any what other adapters I will need? I presume its best to wait until we get there and if so which are the best supermarkets to get them from. Also what about the rest of Europe in particular Germany, Italy, Switzeraland and Austria.

Thanks</SPAN>

2. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi I have only had to use the normal screw on type in France and Spain can,t help with your other countries yet, but in France the BRICOMART stores like B & Q have all you will need, for Electrics you will need both 2 & 3 pin conectors both poss/neg & neg/poss as you never know what you will get a tester is important to check. Peter :thumb:

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Same as the UK ..

Buy a Hozelock end for your hose and the screw on tap connector
    the most common sizes are 1/2" and 3/4" .

[​IMG]

1/2" 3/4" tap connector
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  4. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Hi.

Thanks for that. I have all the electrical stuff thanks. I think the conector I have must be the 3/4" one. Is that the standard one you always find over here? So I guess I just need the 1/2" one as well then

cheers
    Barry

5. scotjimland

Hi Barry
    3/4 is fairly standard all over, I did come across one in Germany that was 1" ..

you may find a push on rubber connector useful at some of the aires.. or if your trying to get water from a hand basin at a public toilet ..

Jim

6. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

I was laughed at on a recent forum about which hose do you use for getting water and I replied that a 10 litre watering can does me as I cant be bothered with hoses and your post just goes to show that I am not as stupid as I can be.My watering can fits all taps universally and I never have to move the van close to the tap for water, my can also works in mountain streams ,Fuentes and Cemeteries. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

dito :thumb:

Ralph

• Like Like x 1
  8. sandyketton

sandyketton Read Only Funster

I've just got back from three weeks in France and used nothing but the watering can. Wonderful bit of kit!

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

the mind boggles :Eeek::Eeek:

:Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. WillH

WillH Funster

"I've just got back from three weeks in France and used nothing but the watering can. Wonderful bit of kit! "

We use a watering can, just keep topping up.

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

thats a posh one Jim....havent seen one with a strain relief collar on it before

[​IMG]

12. bushman51

bushman51 Read Only Funster

Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Austria have pretty much the same as France: 3/4" taps (with some expections in Germany where you might see 1 " taps). I came across some 1/2 " taps in Spain, whereas 3/4" is the rule there, too.

In France, you may find some "push taps". There, no screw-on system work. Simply slide your plastic hose over the tap, at the same time fix the push button with a strap that you wrap around so that you don't have to press all the time.

13. sandyketton

sandyketton Read Only Funster

Nice one Jim:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

And by the way....talking of water in France:

"Eau potable" means you can drink it
    "Eau non potable"..... obviously means you can't drink it!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

15. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Thanks all and thanks Frankie for the translation. I hear the water in France is perfectly ok to drink, not sure about other countries though. Frankie, Im going to try and get an Internet Max and Mobicart sim from Orange. As a local I dont suppose you know anything about them do you?

Not so hot about the watering can idea. a 10 litre can will take 10 trips to fill my vans tank. Sounds like attachments wont be a major issue anyway and thanks for the tip about strapping the button down on the taps without handles (whoever that was)

Cheers:Smile::Smile:
    Barry

16. scotjimland

Well, there are times when a watering can is useful because the tap is too far away for the hose, ( I carry 2 x 30mt ) and can't get the RV closer .. but it's a last resort, filling a 325 lt tank takes a long time, a volunteer is best :Wink: .. :Laughing::Laughing:

[​IMG]

17. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Great picture. So 325 litres with a 10 litre can, assuming in its a Knockout style you slop a bit each trip and say the tap is 100 metres away thats at least 30 trips to fill up x 100 metres. Isnt that nearly two miles. I think the next tap that I could reach with the van would have to be at least 50 miles away before I wouldnt consider not driving off and filling up with the hose:Smile:!

18. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hi Barry!

Even if the water is OK to drink you might find this written just over a tap because a few years ago water was not drinkable everywhere in France . So they still precise it is drinkable.That is in may be 90% of the territory

But there are still old little villages (ie in the mountains) where there is not drinkable water all over the place, and you might find fountains in the middle of the village with undrinkable water. You 're supposed to use that water to clean the clothes , and people use it too to wash the street in front of their entrance door.

I had to have a look on internet to know what is "internet max":RollEyes: The main problem you 'll have, is that Orange asks for a postal address in france even with a pay and go sim card. Because of terrorism they want to know who is using the sim card.
    I don't know much about getting internet max, it's quite new and never had to wonder about it. i must admit i've asked Orange many times about internet and sim cards for foreigners but as i'm quite impervious to technical explanations :Eeek::Eeek:, i don't even try to remember the informations ! I'm completly useless with the whole stuff:Blush::Blush:
    I'm very sorry....i guess Scotjimland will be much more helpfull, won't you Jim?..... shame on me!:RollEyes::RollEyes::Blush:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

19. retep

retep Read Only Funster

We use an aquaroll which is stored in the shower room when en route. saves moving the van. We get some funny looks from our European friends.:Eeek:

Peter:Rofl1:

20. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Thanks Frankie.

Sounds as if most of its ok to drink. Will tackle the internet when we arrive. I am quite technical but dont speak very much French but will have a go!:Smile: