Water hose - flat or round??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jaygee, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Got to get a new water hose. Should we get a flat one that rolls up into a cassette or just a normal round one?
    Had a cassette years ago and it never wound up satisfactory - maybe they are better now? It's just the space a round one takes up.

2. f6c

f6c Funster

Hose pipe

go for a flat:Wink:

3. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Go for Round.....:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Round is easier but bulkier, I now carry a 5m round which fills quick and is normally long enough for most fill ups. Then two extra lengths of flat stowed away; 15m and a 20m . Every now and then I find I need to join all of them together and borrow someone else's to fill up without breaking camp and moving. :Smile:

5. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Have a flat one but

I have a flat one, paid a fair bit for it, but the cassette it is in is crap.. real pain using it. At home I fill the RV using a normal hose and on sites or shows I tend to fill a 5 gallon water bottle and transport it from tap to RV and then load that via a pump and short hose.. (yes it would be heavy if you had to lug it about - I put it on my disabled scooter as it is hard to lif of the ground when full).

Bob:Cool:

6. Drew

Drew Funster

7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I had a flat hose for about three years but it developed leaks along the folded edges during the last year of its life. I think I paid between £20 and £30 for it so it was not a really cheap one. Simple to use and easy to store.
    Then I changed for a food-grade round hose; it is black, has thick walls and is rather stiff to wind. But it does a good job and I cut it into 5 and 15 metre lengths with connectors (I still have about 10 metres in the attic as a spare, but it will probably never wear out). It is also easier to drain the round hose after use than the flat one. I keep the round hose lengths joined together on a standard garden hose reel.

I found that the flat hose did not work if the water supply pressure was very low: a situation encountered on some remote sites. It failed to 'inflate'.

So, flat is lightweight, generally easy to use and easy to store, but be prepared to buy a new one every two or three years; good quality round is heavy and bulky, but it always works and will last for ages.

:rain:

8. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Perforated !

barry:Smile:

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have one of those coiled spring like ones which I use for 1mtr to 10 mtr runs. I then have a 20Mtr flat one which I have cut 5Mtrs off.

The spring style one is brilliant as it very quick to use and put away. The flat one is great for long distances as it doesn't take up much storage space.

If I am more than 30Mtr away from the tap and I can't be bothered to break camp I have a large watering can. I will be replacing this soon with a flat pack one.

10. makems

makems Funster Life Member

I have 3 round food grade hoses of varying lengths from 5m to 15m that can be joined together. Flat hose always has to be pulled out to it's full length no matter how close you are to the filler.
    Round is quick to get out and quick to drain and put away. It does take up space though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Would go for a round every time, only ever had one flat hose apart from having to uncoil every time it did not last more than 2 years.

12. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

We have a 15m flat food grade which is a pain because you have to unwind all
    of it even if your next to the tap.So we keep a 5m length of round hose as well.
    We also carry a 5 gall container in the toad, with the help of an old fold up shopping trolley / sack truck,and a whale portable pump we are covered for all occasions . But back to the question Round.:thumb:

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I carry a flat hose and a shorter round one for if I'm near the tap. Still occassionly use the watering can though. I also have an aquaroll that I can transfer using a submersible pump. All are ideal at different times.:Smile:

14. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Read Only Funster

Flat or Round Hose?

:Wink: We are camped in Roquetas, Spain at the moment until February and unfortunately not near enough for our round hose to fit the water tap.

We have unsuccessfully up until now been able to buy a flat hose at the Chinese shops and builders merchant type shops. We wanted to get one simply for the storage space as we do find the round hose so bulky at times and to also buy another hose which would reach the tap.

The flat hoses seem to have gone out of fashion here. Perhaps its because as you all seem to have the same opinion, that they don't last very long. Maybe it has something to do with the heat as well!!

15. robnchris

robnchris Funster

round

Hi, We would say go for the round, we bought a flat hosepipe on a reel cost £29.99 brilliant stored so easily.
    That`s great until you come to use it, you have to unwind the whole lot off the reel to get any water through it, now that`s a bloody pain.
    Have since bought an aquaroll which stores easily inside the garage, fill that up and have made up a whale pump to a short length of hose, wired a 12volt outlet socket inside the garage and presto, top up the water tanks without any hassle. :thumb:

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi I have a flat one that is made up of 3 small bore pipes joined together.:thumb:It comes on a cassette and you can pull out as much or little as you like then winds in easy.:thumb:I have seen them on (i think ) Bargins uk or Bargains uk for about a tenner
    terry

17. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

18. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

Hmmmphffff ..once again I have to come to the rescue with what is such a simple and logical problem.
    step 1..buy ordinary round cheap garden hose.

step 2 wait for road repairs near you where a steam roller will be used.

step 3 buy flat pack cassette to store your new flat hose in...quality of round and lasts forever and the compactness of flat...

simples...ps the flat pack cassette should be bought in the 2 meter wide size ie to accomodate flat hose that is 2 meters wide.

if you want the full monty, I have fitted an adapter to my rear wheel and i load one end of the flat hose into the cassette as normal then drive off..the flat hose winds itself up and when I stop next I remove the cassette from the wheel.
    I admit there is a slight flaw as the other end when wound up bangs on the floor on each revolution of the wheel which some people may find annoying.
    Myself I kinda like it as it reminds me of when I used to stick lolly pop sticks in my cycle wheels when I was younger (40s) and the sticks twanged on the spokes and sounded like an engine..as does the cassette end banging on the highway. your choice..

again simples....Im tired after all that mental energy..im going to have a sleep

• Like Like x 1
  19. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

do not get a coiled one they look good but after a few uses the coils get tangled (like the coiled telephone wire) a night mare in the dark or in the rain

20. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have had mine since 2005 and its still going fine. I am just about to replace the hoselock attachment on the end for a brass one but 6 years isn't bad.

Flat one has lasted me just as long.

Bearing in mind I have fulltimed for the last 3 years so it gets pretty good use :Wink: