Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do you fit water filters to your vans if so whats the best place.
Or is this just over kill.
thanks
Jim

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
As in one of those britta instant filtered water things or an in line filter from the tank to the tap?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I fitted the Nature Pure kit from General Ecology which comes with its own tap. Its not cheap, but it works. It saves humping bottles of drinking water around and finding somewhere to store them. Water comes straight out of the tank for drinking and we have never had a problem yet. I am just replacing the filter now after 18 months almost continuous use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Any links and pictures and whats rough cost?
Thanks
Jim
I fitted the Nature Pure kit from General Ecology which comes with its own tap. Its not cheap, but it works. It saves humping bottles of drinking water around and finding somewhere to store them. Water comes straight out of the tank for drinking and we have never had a problem yet. I am just replacing the filter now after 18 months almost continuous use.

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
There`s a big advert for nature pure in Jim`s stuff on the rh side of forum home
page , I have had one fitted in my vans for at least 10yrs the beauty is it dosn`t just filter the water it purifys it, It takes out all of the nasty stuff that could make you ill, comes complete with its own tap so you only use water through it for drinking use the vans tap for washing etc i never worry about the source of the water.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
There`s a big advert for nature pure in Jim`s stuff on the rh side of forum home
page , I have had one fitted in my vans for at least 10yrs the beauty is it dosn`t just filter the water it purifys it, It takes out all of the nasty stuff that could make you ill, comes complete with its own tap so you only use water through it for drinking use the vans tap for washing etc i never worry about the source of the water.

You've just answered our question:thumb:
There was....is.....one on our van, it was fitted by the previous owner and we're assuming it still works and should we, shouldn't we pay the £50 for the replacement cartridge:RollEyes:

I probably wouldn't have had one fitted myself, but seeing as it's already there, it makes sense to replace the cartridge and save carrying big 5 litres bottles of water around.

Bill

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You've just answered our question:thumb:
There was....is.....one on our van, it was fitted by the previous owner and we're assuming it still works and should we, shouldn't we pay the £50 for the replacement cartridge:RollEyes:

I probably wouldn't have had one fitted myself, but seeing as it's already there, it makes sense to replace the cartridge and save carrying big 5 litres bottles of water around.

Bill

They tell me that if water is coming out of the tap, its still working. Mine has reduced to a very slow trickle so that's the reason am replacing it. If you call Harald at Nature Pure and quote Motorhome Fun, he will give you a discount.

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
May pop to Peterborough(that's if you can go for a day) next Friday they have stall better bring my card!
Jim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Also a fan of Nature Pure filter, had one fitted in the RV ..highly recommend it .. I fitted ours as we were travelling in Morocco.. where water quality can be questionable..

However.. for traveling in Europe it's probably a bit of overkill as drinking water in Europe is of a high standard. There are several good filters for domestic use which can also be fitted in a van..and at a fraction of the price.. which will remove unpleasant tastes and odours..

This one from Screwfix is very good.. I have it fitted at home.. it does the same job as a Britta filter.. reduces bad tastes, odours, scale and scum..... but it won't protect from viruses, bacteria, cysts etc.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the tap .. and ease of installation. .. We live in a very hard water area and it has a lot of chlorine added.. you can smell it when you run the tap... water from this filter tastes so much better..

For van installation you would need a suitable T piece.

@ £31 .. Excellent value for money
http://www.screwfix.com/p/water-filter-kit/14306?kpid=14306&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CMG90c6q1b0CFcHnwgod5kUAZQ#
ae235

So, if you are strapped for cash this filter is a good buy .. if going outside EU then I would fit a Nature Pure.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Also a fan of Nature Pure filter, had one fitted in the RV ..highly recommend it .. I fitted ours as we were travelling in Morocco.. where water quality can be questionable..

However.. for traveling in Europe it's probably a bit of overkill as drinking water in Europe is of a high standard. There are several good filters for domestic use which can also be fitted in a van..and at a fraction of the price.. which will remove unpleasant tastes and odours..

This one from Screwfix is very good.. I have it fitted at home.. it does the same job as a Britta filter.. reduces bad tastes, odours, scale and scum..... but it won't protect from viruses, bacteria, cysts etc.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the tap .. and ease of installation. .. We live in a very hard water area and it has a lot of chlorine added.. you can smell it when you run the tap... water from this filter tastes so much better..

For van installation you would need a suitable T piece.

@ £31 .. Excellent value for money
http://www.screwfix.com/p/water-filter-kit/14306?kpid=14306&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CMG90c6q1b0CFcHnwgod5kUAZQ#
ae235

So, if you are strapped for cash this filter is a good buy .. if going outside EU then I would fit a Nature Pure.

I did think of something like that as a pre filter to extend the life of the expensive Nature Pure filter. Am not sure if the pump would have enough pressure to push water through both filters though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I did think of something like that as a pre filter to extend the life of the expensive Nature Pure filter. Am not sure if the pump would have enough pressure to push water through both filters though.

Yes, that could work.. only one way to find out.. cartridges at £10 a pop ..won't break the bank...

My Nature Pure filter lasted about two years .. then, being a tight wad I tried to back flush it .. without much success.. :roflmto:..

that worked out about 50p per week for fresh clean drinking water.. less than 1p per day :thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Been using a Britta filter jug for a couple of years now and its fine

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
They tell me that if water is coming out of the tap, its still working. Mine has reduced to a very slow trickle so that's the reason am replacing it. If you call Harald at Nature Pure and quote Motorhome Fun, he will give you a discount.

Thanks for this information, I tried the tap and the water is coming out, but it runs with a juddery flow::bigsmile: I've just tried calling Harald, but he was in Germany and will be back in tomorrow, so will try again then.
The replacement cartridge is now up at £74 on the website:Eeek:
Do you know how long they last for?

Bill

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for this information, I tried the tap and the water is coming out, but it runs with a juddery flow::bigsmile: I've just tried calling Harald, but he was in Germany and will be back in tomorrow, so will try again then.
The replacement cartridge is now up at £74 on the website:Eeek:
Do you know how long they last for?

Bill

Check you have the correct number on your existing filter. I think mine was just over £50. There are several different types. It depends on the quality of water you put in your tank, how much you use and how clean your tank is, but mine lasted for 18 months and we have been in Spain for 6 of them. We do use a lot of fresh water as Iam always brewing up for Smudger :Doh:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Check you have the correct number on your existing filter. I think mine was just over £50. There are several different types. It depends on the quality of water you put in your tank, how much you use and how clean your tank is, but mine lasted for 18 months and we have been in Spain for 6 of them. We do use a lot of fresh water as Iam always brewing up for Smudger :Doh:

The one that was fitted in the van is a Seagull IV , the previous owner has been good and kept every bit of documentation/instructions etc- I must confess to thinking the chrome tap was for liquid hand wash when we first got the van:Doh:
Bill tried phoning Harald today, he was away and he'll try again tomorrow. But it looks as if it's now £74.......big jump, as it was £50 odds when we priced it last year. Will let you know how we get on:thumb:

Margaret

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The one that was fitted in the van is a Seagull IV , the previous owner has been good and kept every bit of documentation/instructions etc- I must confess to thinking the chrome tap was for liquid hand wash when we first got the van:Doh:
Bill tried phoning Harald today, he was away and he'll try again tomorrow. But it looks as if it's now £74.......big jump, as it was £50 odds when we priced it last year. Will let you know how we get on:thumb:

Margaret

My new filter was waiting for me when I flew home last week. Have just checked the invoice and with funster discount and postage it was £56. Thats your annual Fun subs saved :thumb:. Am putting a pre filter on just before the Nature Pure to see if it will extend the life of it. The pre filter is £10 so I hope to get a bit more life out of the Nature Pure filter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back