Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
Q another silly question......

Is there a knack (which I clearly haven't sussed out yet) of unlocking the water filler cap on Besseccar vans?

I've tried every which way, WD40 into the lock, compared it with the other locks, and still the cap just twists merrily around while the key will not turn in the lock at all. I've pushed it in...gently lifted and twisted...

Nothing.

What am I doing wrong??

Mike

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's a common problem, my theory of the cause (and it is only a theory) being abuse by previous owners who don't know how to use the locking caps. I would not use WD40 because of the possibility (however remote) of water contamination.

In the past I've had success with a tip picked up from previous threads of soaking the cap in hot water for a while but that doesn't always work. It worked on our previous van but not the current one so I bought another cap - OK, it's a different key but I can live with that.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes mines the same, just don't bother locking it:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
I'd like to lock it if possible, once I suss it out...!

Its just the lock that won't budge. The cap itself is whirring around nicely.

Mike

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When it's locked the cap should rotate without coming loose. To remove, turn the key anti-clockwise to unlock and then turn the full cap ant-clockwise to take it out. On replacing, insert the cap, turn clockwise until it stops then turn the key clockwise.

If it doesn't work like that try the hot water trick or mend it wi' a new un ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
Good GJH, mine does exactly as you said, except for one crucial thing....
The key will not turn in the lock.... It won't move, even with a little wd, some wiggling and a touch of limited brut force!!!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Might seem a silly suggestion, but are you sure it's the right key? Could a previous owner have replaced the cap and you've not been given the new key? Just an idea.
PS. To unlock the cap, you have to hold it to prevent it from turning as you turn the key and to unscrew the cap you have to push it inwards before turning anti-clockwise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yep,
All of the above, but with some of 'em it's down to technique. You have push the cap inwards and then turn it. Problem with these caps is that you can't get a good enough purchase on the damn things. Use a Marigold gloved hand to get extra grip.

Mine stuck on my very first outing. Sure, the cap spun round like a dervish, but getting it open was another matter entirely. A fellow motorhomer had watched me struggling and cursing before coming to help. He checked that it was unlocked, pushed the cap inwards, turned it and hey-presto, off it came! I felt so stupid.

On examination, one of the lugs were damaged, so first thing that I did when I got home was to buy a new one off e-bay. Although it risked minimal contamination, I smeared the merest hint of plumber's silicone, on the rubberised main 'ring' on the cap. Comes off a treat every time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
LOL... So they are, but i'll be as gentle as possible.

Its ok, panic over.
I'm in now :)
Now I've discovered that my kitchen taps being the trendy modern sort are useless for my hose, and without the said hose, its easier to fill it from inside with a bucket...or 50!!!!
Oh the laughs we had................:Doh:::bigsmile::Doh::Eeek:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
try a clean new watering can from outside, much less of a faff than filling from inside through the access cap

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
God.........Must take an age with a watering can!!!
I can see you point though.... Hose to can to van.... :)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what we do is fill up with a food grade hose when we start off then top up daily with a watering can or 2

the watering can also gets used to top up the dogs water bowls and a few other jobs round the van with clean water. great for rinsing off mashed bugs from the windscreen using a handbrush

with everything in the van we try to ensure the stuff we carry can do multiple jobs if required. saves on payload and duplication

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I had the same problem, when I finely got it off I replaced it with a non-locking cap with a hose connection in the middle of it, job done. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back