Water everywhere, except in the hot tap...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bushtrekker, May 9, 2012.

1. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

We drove down to Cornwall on Monday and yesterday was hot and sunny, but heavy rain now for two days. The only problem is that the water heater, which worked perfectly at home, doesn't seem to want to work on site. Neither light is coming on, so is there anything I could be missing, or anything which could have become dislodged in transit?

2. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Could you, perhaps, have overloaded the system and blown a fuse, although usually it would just trip. :BigGrin:

Ivy

3. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Is there an external vent cover that needs to be removed? Gas water heater on many models will not light if the exhaust vent cover is not removed first?

We always put ours on the dash, when parked and using the gas-fired water heater - that way it's easy to remember to replace it before driving off.

But there have been odd occsions when I couldn't get the gas to ignite, then realised I hadn't removed the cover first! :Rofl1:

Hope the above suggestion is not too obvious. :Wink:

4. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

Sorted

Filled the tank, switched on and we now have hot water. I need to keep an eye on the water level.

5. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

The idea of removing the exhaust cover is something I too must consider. We have a water heater that is rather unpredictable. Sometimes it works fine, other times the red light comes on.

Although I can't offer any help we do manage without hot water. I boil one kettle full for my all over wash in the shower room. While I'm shaving and lathering up another kettle full is boiling. When I'm done with the suds the second kettle allows me to rinse off.

Bit primitive, but it works well enough to stop me getting paranoid.

I did have a motorhome expert chappy take a look at the heater and he suggested the back half of the van would have to be removed to gain access. OK, I'm kidding, but it did sound like a job he did want to tackle.